General Category > Velo Fixe

Building a Bob Jackson, what to do, where to start

(1/3) > >>

Doo:
Hi Folks.

I like cycling. I like audax. I like single-speed but don't have one.
I stumbled on some lovely looking bicycle frames (Bob Jackson) and the 'Audax end-to-end' looked nice and has horizontal drop outs.
I figured this could be made into a ss bike that would be ace.
What should I do next, what components would I need (and where from), what sizes do 'things' need to be.
Should such a task be handled by someone who has little clue of what to do (but loves cycling and has done for many years)?!

Cheers,

Doo

dat:
Here is my Bob Jackson vigorelli for inspiration. You'd be better getting a Vigorelli rather than an Audax as the rear end is 120mm meaning you can use most track hubs.

Doo:
Dat DAT is a rather super looking awesome machine. The Vigorelli does look the bees knees (is more expensive mind) and makes sense about the spacing.

rogerzilla:
What is the rear hub at the moment, if it has one?  Any screw-on freewheel hub (the best quality ones will be pre-1990) will do for SS.  You don't need a track hub.  Chainline is the tricky bit.  Aim for about 46mm at the back and most road cranks will work on a shorter BB than originally intended.  Track bikes usually run more like 42.5mm but this generally requires real track cranks.

You need to get a 2 foot straight edge to check chainline.  Rear triangles are rarely straight and you can't just slap on matching kit and expect it to be millimetre-perfect.

Try a gear of about 60" to start with (42 × 18).  You can go to 42 x 16 later if you like mashing.

dat:
Are you looking at a new frame? The vigorelli is one of the cheap BJ framesets. It does get more expensive once you've added on mudguard bosses, rear brake and an extra bottle cage. Mine came in at around £750 shipped and that included upgraded tubing on the frame and forks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version