Linked Events

• York Rally: 21 June, 2019 - 24 June, 2019

Author Topic: York Rally 22-23 June 2019  (Read 9925 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
York Rally 22-23 June 2019
« on: 24 September, 2018, 02:46:36 pm »
Date is confirmed, so we might as well start a thread...

https://twitter.com/YorkRally/status/1044207896488292352

Re: York Rally 22-23 June 2019
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:17:30 pm »
Good plan. We'll almost certainly be there.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:19:08 pm »
Yeah yeah it's on my list. Along with Mildenhall. Just like this year. And last year and the year before that and...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:56:47 pm »
We plan to be there.
Planning to take the week before off and ride down from the ALC meet at Beadnall Bay the previous weekend   ;D

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:57:10 pm »
Missed it last year. Possible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2018, 09:52:56 am »
just to let people know, bookings are now open on the website http://yorkrally.org/visitor-information/campsite-bookings/ & by post using the booking form on the website

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2018, 07:50:10 pm »
We've booked.

A reminder that today is the last chance for super early bird tickets.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:48:18 pm »
Is there anyone going to the rally who might be able to give me and my trice a lift?. I am happy to contribute to fuel costs. I can probably ride one way .I use a train one way  but I cannot guarantee that can get the trike on   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:59:29 pm »
Can't help there, as I'm going by train.

Just realised that while I'd booked train tickets, I hadn't actually booked any camping (due to general uncertainty over whether barkata was coming or not[1]).  That could have been embarrassing.

[1] We decided not, on mobility grounds.  It's a large site, and a lot of walking/cycling to get around, which is asking for trouble with the current state of her hips.  Hoping that she gets that sorted by next year.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:54:57 pm »
I will be there on the Saturday, but camping in my usual SEEKRIT place.  I will be in the locale on the Sunday but I might go to the NRM or exploring depending on the weather.

Going by train again this year as I'm not hiring a car just so I can bring the velomobile.  Unfortunately, impecunity means having to hang the bike on the way down, but it'll be ok as long as the Great British Public don't break my mirrors as they hurry on and off the train.  I'm booked on a HST for the return run, and I have no idea what the bike space is like.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:07:08 pm »

I'm booked on a HST for the return run, and I have no idea what the bike space is like.

Is it a Cross Country (XC) HST, or an LNER one?

As far as I can remember, XC HSTs have a van space which is empty of racks and such like contraptions - just lean the bike on the wall/lay it on the floor as preferred. I laid my bike on the floor on the basis that it saved it from falling over!

LNER HSTs have a "hang it from the front wheel" type of rack in the van space, with either a Velcro or adjustable snap-clip tie-down to stop the back wheel from swinging about.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:24:24 pm »
As far as I can remember, XC HSTs have a van space which is empty of racks and such like contraptions - just lean the bike on the wall/lay it on the floor as preferred. I laid my bike on the floor on the basis that it saved it from falling over!

On the odd occasion I've ended up on one of these, I've leaned my bike against the mesh wall and secured it via a combination of a Wilko light-duty ratchet strap (which solves all sorts of bikes-on-trains problems, as well as functioning as a lightweight racing workstand[1]) and the parking brake.

I generally avoid the HSTs, though.  Having to find staff and run to the other end of the train is type-2 fun at Mordor Central.

[1] In combination with a suitable tree/gate/etc.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:30:58 pm »

On the odd occasion I've ended up on one of these, I've leaned my bike against the mesh wall and secured it via a combination of a Wilko light-duty ratchet strap (which solves all sorts of bikes-on-trains problems, as well as functioning as a lightweight racing workstand[1]) and the parking brake.

I generally avoid the HSTs, though.  Having to find staff and run to the other end of the train is type-2 fun at Mordor Central.

[1] In combination with a suitable tree/gate/etc.

Thinking on, I used to use a hook-ended bungy cord for the same thing back in the day when I was resident in Mordor. I used to have to do the "sprint down the platform at Mordor Central because the train is the wrong way round *again*" far too often for my liking as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:33:47 pm »
TBH, the only way I'd manage to *sprint* down the platform at Mordor Central would be if I took the chainring guard off and attempted to mow the crowd down zombie-apocalypse style.  It's nearly always crammed.  Usually with people who are taller than  a) me   and  b) the person with the orange hi-vis and the carriage key..

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:35:44 pm »
I will be around at the Rally again this year. I have been talked into commissairing the BSCA national and Yorkshire regional grasstrack championships on the Saturday. I'll be the taller and uglier commissaire with a beard!
Feel free to say hello, although not during a race please! I lose count of the number of laps and make the kids ride too far!

« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:41:28 am »
I will be there as part of the Tricycle Association contingent.  This year we are celebrating our 90th year and plan to have a larger display of machines, parts, photographs etc.  Undoubtedly some of us will be at the BHPC event on the Sunday.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:18:47 am »
Ah yes, I'll be doing the BHPC try-to-find-the-velodrome-without-getting-lost challenge again.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:27:17 am »
It's easy. 

Step 1: Go to the university
Step 2: Point yourself away from civilization and proceed into the outer wilderness, in the direction that looks most bleak and least inviting.  Trek half a mile into said wilderness.  You are now at Campus East.
Step 3: Continue in the direction that looks even more bleak and unforgiving than where you already are.  Proceed for another half a mile until the roads start to decay, the wind bites through your clothes unabated and the whole place has a distinct air of Mad Max dystopia.  You have now reached the sports village and the velodrome is on your right

« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:29:20 pm »
the whole place has a distinct air of Mad Max dystopia. 

Mad Max: Beyond Velodrome.   Starring Kim as "Auntie Entity"  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:31:39 pm »
the whole place has a distinct air of Mad Max dystopia. 

Mad Max: Beyond Velodrome.   Starring Kim as "Auntie Entity"  :D

I'm going to need some bigger shoulder elbow pads...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2019, 02:38:31 pm »

It's easy. 

Step 1: Go to the university
Step 2: Point yourself away from civilization and proceed into the outer wilderness, in the direction they looks most bleak and least inviting.  Trek half a mile into said wilderness.  You are now at Campus East.
Step 3: Continue in the direction that looks even more bleak and unforgiving than where you already are.  Proceed for another half a mile until the roads start to decay, the wind bites through your clothes unabated and the whole place has a distinct air of Mad Max dystopia.  You have now reached the sports village and the velodrome is on your right

Pretty much bang on, especially the bit about the decaying roads.

And the wind! Definitely the wind!

« Reply #21 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:14:01 am »
I’ve booked a pitch, so I’ll be coming.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2019, 03:59:56 pm »
PSA for anyone interested in the BHPC Wacky Races Mad Max Beyond Velodrome event on the Sunday:
  • It's a race.
  • ...But nobody takes things too seriously, and there are plenty of slower riders (often on Mildly Inappropriate Bikes[1]) doing it purely for fun.
  • Spectators encouraged.  If you've not witnessed the top end of the fully-faired class rumbling round the track at speeds in excess of R17, it's well worth it.  I expect there to be a decent turnout of upright trikes, for added entertainment.  The area's quite exposed, so bring a brolly or similar if it's looking pish or scorchio, and something to sit on might be a good idea.
  • The adjacent sports building has changing rooms, loos and a cafe.
  • You can ride anything that's:
       a) Human-powered
       b) Has a brake
       c) No sticky-out sharp bits (chiefly unguarded chainrings on SWB/Tadpole recumbents).
    (More detail here.)
  • Magic hats compulsory, yes even for those in velomobiles.  It's an in-sewer-ants thing.  (Gloves, elbow pads and mirrors are not compulsory, but considered a Good Idea when racing recumbents.)
  • 10-16 year olds can compete as Juniors.  IIRC they need a parent/guardian to sign them in or something.
  • Races are usually split into a Fast Group and a Slow Group.  This doesn't mean anything in competition terms (the timings all get aggregated), but limits the speed/experience differential on the track for safety.  The fast race is usually comprised of streamliners, velomobiles, faster riders on part-faired/un-faired recumbents, and the one person who knows how to set up the timing computer[2].  Upwrongs, newbies, juniors and most of the unfaired 'bents go in the slow group by default.
  • It's going to be a 40mins+1lap criterium[3] race on the cycle circuit, followed by a 30min+1lap criterium and a 1-lap time trial[4] on the velodrome.  If the velodrome looks scary (because you've got more than two wheels or are unlikely to reach the 18mph or so needed to be stable on the banking), you're allowed to sit that one out.
  • Sign-on from 09:30.  £7 for BHPC members, £10 for non-members.  Look for someone with a tablet computer and a moneybox (last time they were hiding in the portacabin), *not* the people who look like they know what they're doing setting up timing equipment on the track.  If in doubt, ask.
  • Actual racing starts at 10:30 at the track, and 13:00 at the velodrome (which is within easy waddling-in-road-cleats distance).
  • Allow a bit of extra time for getting lost on the way there.  Follow Karla's advice upthread, don't trust your sat-nav to know about the cycleable busway through campus.
  • Points mean, erm, complicated maths.  Results will be uploaded to the BHPC website when the relevant people get round to processing the data, which may take a while if they're loitering within tent.  Ladies and Juniors will do well by simply turning up.

Official discussion here: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2019-round-5-york-sunday-23rd-june_topic6916.html

[1] Bonus points for anything bought for less than 50 quid at the rally auction on the Saturday.
[2]  O:-)
[3] Translation for non-sportsists:  Go as fast as you can, and when someone rings a bell, it's nearly over so go a bit faster.
[4] Translation for non-sportsists:  Go as fast as you can for one lap, with nobody else on the track.  You probably get a run-up.  Bonus points for endurance waiting-for-your-turn in fully-enclosed machines if the weather's hot.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #23 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:23:10 pm »
Just to add to Kim's excellent description of circuit and track racing, the busway (Lakeside Way) is currently closed around the back of the Theatre, Film and TV department and the Ron Cooke Hub due to the road surface deteriorating to the point where individual bricks are popping out of the road when buses drive over it! (1) I think there is a diversion round it, I shall try to remember to go in that way tomorrow and check.

Be careful using Sat-Nav, as you can wind up on the wrong side of the circuit on an unmade road - today's school visit saw one minibus do exactly that.

If driving, it's probably best to head for the Grimston Bar Park & Ride on the A1079 and follow the signs for the Sport Village from there.

I'm probably going to be around from about 12:30 on the Sunday, so if you have any problems come and find me. I'll be the one in a bright red York Sport polo shirt (unless it's raining, in which case I shall be wearing a black York Sport waterproof waterproof!)

Your friendly York Sport Cycling Attendant!

(1) It's a brick paved road, laid in an area with a very high water table and around 8 buses an hour running along it! I'm amazed that it has lasted this long, to be honest.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:32:26 pm »
Be careful using Sat-Nav, as you can wind up on the wrong side of the circuit on an unmade road - today's school visit saw one minibus do exactly that.

Yes, Google Maps suggests that you can access the site from Low Lane.  You can't, there's a cycle circuit in the way (see the satellite view for enlightenment).

It's a brick paved road, laid in an area with a very high water table and around 8 buses an hour running along it! I'm amazed that it has lasted this long, to be honest.

Surely the whole point in such a surface, apart from sending a subtle message to car drivers, is that it can be lifted and re-laid when the ground shifts without having to wastefully replace all the material.  I believe those clever cloggies have a special machine for doing it.

Of course, this is BRITAIN, and proper maintenance is unpatriotic, or something.  At best they probably have a University-of-Kent-style man-with-a-wheelbarrow-full-of-sand, doomed to a sisyphean task of roaming the footpaths in search of wobbly slabs.