Author Topic: Nae bother to us  (Read 3576 times)

Nae bother to us
« on: 26 June, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »
I’m trying to decide whether or not to ride this event.  I’m not familiar with the roads down there, so I’m not really sure what I’d be letting myself in for.  The route sheet mentions that one or two of the middle sections would be easier for mountain goats.  Whereabouts are the hills, and are they steep/long/short etc? (need to plan gearing on my fixie).  I’d also like to know how rough/smooth the road surfaces are in general, as I’ve been having bother with my hands. I’m a bit nervous about the distance – I’ve only ridden one 400k before, and struggled towards the end. 

Thanks

David

Creaky Knees

Re: Nae bother to us
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2008, 04:14:31 pm »
Hi Dave,

The main hard sections of the ride are where we cross the Cheviots through Northumberland from Berwick across through Elsdon to Bellingham.There are a few longish steep climbs here which I would say may need use of the 24inch gear (2 feet) if you're not a pretty strong fixed rider but it's not a very long section. From Bellingham onwards the terrain gradually gets easier and once we get back through to the Borders any climbs are of the long but gradual variety so fine on fixed.
Give it a go.I'm sure you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

There's a few cards still left if anyone else wants to join us for this one. Some great scenery and as usual we've booked good weather.

Keep pedalling.

Lucy. 8)

I’m trying to decide whether or not to ride this event.  I’m not familiar with the roads down there, so I’m not really sure what I’d be letting myself in for.  The route sheet mentions that one or two of the middle sections would be easier for mountain goats.  Whereabouts are the hills, and are they steep/long/short etc? (need to plan gearing on my fixie).  I’d also like to know how rough/smooth the road surfaces are in general, as I’ve been having bother with my hands. I’m a bit nervous about the distance – I’ve only ridden one 400k before, and struggled towards the end. 

Thanks

David

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
There's a few cards still left if anyone else wants to join us for this one. Some great scenery and as usual we've booked good weather.

Hi Lucy, - just sent my entry off yesterday, please keep a card for me!

Thanks,

Neil
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Creaky Knees

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:08:17 pm »
Will do :thumbsup:

Hi Lucy, - just sent my entry off yesterday, please keep a card for me!

Thanks,

Neil

Tigers Taxi

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
Having just got the route sheet, its looking like the landlady may be wondering where the hell Chris & I am. When I booked it I said I might be back late Sat, early Sun.
I now hope to get round, especially if the weather is as bad as the Border Raid.

OK Lucy its all a lie I still hope to get back for Midnight, cards on your doormat Sunday after breakfast.

Andy S

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:18:16 pm »
Thanks Lucy

I'll see how I feel next week, and assuming nothing crops up at work I may give it a go.  It sounds like I'll be walking for a few miles - I'd better wear SPDs and the overshoes without soles...

Are you able to recommend an hotel in Galashiels?  I did a quick search and came across the Abbotsford Arms and the Watson Lodge B&B.

David

annie

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:24:25 pm »
You kept this one quiet David :o

Creaky Knees

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2008, 09:59:09 am »
Both of these are good but I'll PM you a bigger list in case you'd like some more choice or can't get in at one of these.

Hope you'll be joining us.It's not so bad really. It must be quite hilly near yourself??

Pedal Up 8)

Thanks Lucy

I'll see how I feel next week, and assuming nothing crops up at work I may give it a go.  It sounds like I'll be walking for a few miles - I'd better wear SPDs and the overshoes without soles...

Are you able to recommend an hotel in Galashiels?  I did a quick search and came across the Abbotsford Arms and the Watson Lodge B&B.

David

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:04:03 am »
Thanks Lucy.  It's not massively hilly around home, although I've ridden quite a bit in the hills, and I can get up just about anything on a 65" gear.  However, I find that to be tiring on a longer ride.  I managed the Durness Duress a couple of weeks ago on an 86" gear, and I think I may stick with that.  I'll just walk or look for public transport if it gets too bad...

Annie, I thought I'd mentioned it to you, but after my pains of the past couple of weeks I didn't think I'd be riding any more audaxes this year.  I'll be hoping for encouragement from The Fixie Pixie as I pedal and walk my way around the course for 26.6 hours...

annie

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2008, 12:05:12 pm »
Thanks Lucy.  It's not massively hilly around home, although I've ridden quite a bit in the hills, and I can get up just about anything on a 65" gear.  However, I find that to be tiring on a longer ride.  I managed the Durness Duress a couple of weeks ago on an 86" gear, and I think I may stick with that.  I'll just walk or look for public transport if it gets too bad...

Annie, I thought I'd mentioned it to you, but after my pains of the past couple of weeks I didn't think I'd be riding any more audaxes this year.  I'll be hoping for encouragement from The Fixie Pixie as I pedal and walk my way around the course for 26.6 hours...

Don't worry, I shall certainly send you silly messages and lots of virtual Halva. :)

Will you be riding on the 78" or is it the 87"?

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »
Just spent the last half-hour reading the route sheet and looking at the map. Hope there's somebody I can keep up with that knows where they're going - I found it really difficult to follow the instructions. :-[

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:56:14 pm »
Neil, you just need to hook up with someone who has a gsp (and actually looks at the thing before a turn comes up).

annie

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2008, 12:09:17 am »
Good luck David :)

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:10:32 pm »
Well that's this year's SR done, but by god it was hard work. Not many yACFers on this ride - I only recognised Megajoules (natch, as she was the organiser), NashD, AuDave, Cyclops & The Cormorant. Having done the Twilight with the latter two I reckoned on riding this one with them too. Alas it was not to be - Cyclops packed after about 10km with a mechanical failure. It seems that following the chain-stretching workout that was the Snow Roads he'd put a new chain on but neglected to change his cassette. The new chain and old cassette refused to co-operate and that was the end of his ride.  :(

Anyway, the field quickly split in two with the fast boys all skipping the first cafe control, never to be seen again. This left all those named above in a loosely knitted peleton that also included Mr Megajoules and a couple of others. There were a few question marks on what was a control and what wasn't, so it seemed simplest and safest to just follow Megajoules. This also proved very handy on the tricky navigation out of Bellingham, where if it had been anyone else leading us on gated trails with ridiculous gradients I simply wouldn't have believed them.

Weather-wise, all was fine until after lunch (a very good one at the Tankerville Arms in Eglingham). Then the rain started. It got heavier. Then heavier. Then heavier again. At times it was like riding in a river and some of the descents were extremely treacherous. We were all completly soaked through but at Bellingham Mr Megajoules cut a dashing figure, re-inforcing his waterproofing with a very stylish black binbag.8)

On the plus side the mostly Easterly Wind made the normally brutal roman road next to Hadrian's Wall really quite a blast, with most of the climbs sprinted over in the big ring. The rain stopped sometime before Gretna and thereafter we had a mostly dry run with quite a pleasant night. Never ridden that Moffat to St Mary's Loch road before and I really enjoyed. Must go back in the daylight to find out what it looks like.

All the yACFers (bar Cyclops) got round comfortably, most notably NashD who did it on about 86" fixed. After some gentle ribbing from the rest of us for his luddite fixed-gear tendencies he admitted that he has a new bike on order, with gears. More than sixty gears in fact!  :o Not a man for doing things the conventional way, Mr Nash ::-)

My navigation fears posted earlier mostly proved un-founded. I soon realised that the reason why I couldn't follow the route on my map was that my map wasn't detailed enough to show the roads we were using. Cormorant did a find job of knowing where we were and only a missing instruction on the run in to Gretna caused some delay and back-tracking. Must remember next year that it's Gretna Green we're going to, not Gretna.

Big Thankyou to Megajoules for running this (and many other) events  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:19:09 pm »
I last heard from David this morning (nashd).  I do hope you managed to find your way home David?  Congratulations to you and all the others on completing this tough ride. :thumbsup: 86" again!!  The new bike looks to be a stunner, well from what I could see of all the bits and bobs.

Tigers Taxi

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:55:40 pm »
Nae bother?
It starteds so well with a neutralised zone!!, followed with a very manic ride to Berwick, and a stop @ the garden centre.
Will it won't it, well just after Harbottle it made its mind up and it got very wet.
Dripped all over the cafe in Bellingham, and waited for the rain to stop.
Ride to Gretna went well, care of the tail wind and the ride upto Johnstonebridge was also quick, but it started to rain and we hid until it stopped.
Stopped at Saint Marys Loch to regroup, and split the last leg up.
It was after half past one when we got back, after a quick trip round Gala for the Asda and its all over.
The shower in the B & B, was welcome, the sleep came naturally.
Well done to Dave  on riding on fixed, its AAA devoid, but in Mr Larrington speak its "scenic"

Andy S

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:28:11 pm »
valkyrie, congratulations on this year's SR.  I was thinking about you all when I saw how heavy the rain was yesterday - a 300 and 400 in the space of a week, very good.

Creaky Knees

« Reply #17 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:21:56 pm »
Thanks Valkyrie,

Hope you and everyone else has dried out now and caught up on a bit of Zzzzz's. It certainly wasn't the weather I ordered.Hope to do better for our 600k ::-)
The SE wind certainly made the roman road alot easier but the descent into Greenhead was more like canoing over a waterfall. A bit too exciting.
Mr Megajoules says he can thoroughly recommend his stylish bin bag layer as the cutting edge in keeping warm once your jersey has got wet through.The guy that runs the cafe at Bellingham really is a star.He always stays open until every one of the riders are through and fed plus in this case given free team issue bin bags

Many apologies for the missing instruction. :-[I am about to rectify this so if anyone found any other problems(apart from jelly legs) let me know so I can sort them out for next years running.

A big 'Chapeau' to NashD on an impressive ride on fixed.Well done.

The St Mary's loch road is a lovely road in daylight.It's on the Moffat Toffee 200 and also the 1000k but depending how well you're going could be in darkness again on the latter.

Keep pedalling.

Lucy.

Well that's this year's SR done, but by god it was hard work. Not many yACFers on this ride - I only recognised Megajoules (natch, as she was the organiser), NashD, AuDave, Cyclops & The Cormorant. Having done the Twilight with the latter two I reckoned on riding this one with them too. Alas it was not to be - Cyclops packed after about 10km with a mechanical failure. It seems that following the chain-stretching workout that was the Snow Roads he'd put a new chain on but neglected to change his cassette. The new chain and old cassette refused to co-operate and that was the end of his ride.  :(

Anyway, the field quickly split in two with the fast boys all skipping the first cafe control, never to be seen again. This left all those named above in a loosely knitted peleton that also included Mr Megajoules and a couple of others. There were a few question marks on what was a control and what wasn't, so it seemed simplest and safest to just follow Megajoules. This also proved very handy on the tricky navigation out of Bellingham, where if it had been anyone else leading us on gated trails with ridiculous gradients I simply wouldn't have believed them.

Weather-wise, all was fine until after lunch (a very good one at the Tankerville Arms in Eglingham). Then the rain started. It got heavier. Then heavier. Then heavier again. At times it was like riding in a river and some of the descents were extremely treacherous. We were all completly soaked through but at Bellingham Mr Megajoules cut a dashing figure, re-inforcing his waterproofing with a very stylish black binbag.8)

On the plus side the mostly Easterly Wind made the normally brutal roman road next to Hadrian's Wall really quite a blast, with most of the climbs sprinted over in the big ring. The rain stopped sometime before Gretna and thereafter we had a mostly dry run with quite a pleasant night. Never ridden that Moffat to St Mary's Loch road before and I really enjoyed. Must go back in the daylight to find out what it looks like.

All the yACFers (bar Cyclops) got round comfortably, most notably NashD who did it on about 86" fixed. After some gentle ribbing from the rest of us for his luddite fixed-gear tendencies he admitted that he has a new bike on order, with gears. More than sixty gears in fact!  :o Not a man for doing things the conventional way, Mr Nash ::-)

My navigation fears posted earlier mostly proved un-founded. I soon realised that the reason why I couldn't follow the route on my map was that my map wasn't detailed enough to show the roads we were using. Cormorant did a find job of knowing where we were and only a missing instruction on the run in to Gretna caused some delay and back-tracking. Must remember next year that it's Gretna Green we're going to, not Gretna.

Big Thankyou to Megajoules for running this (and many other) events  :thumbsup:

Creaky Knees

« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the scenic nature of the route TT.  :o

Nae bother?
It starteds so well with a neutralised zone!!, followed with a very manic ride to Berwick, and a stop @ the garden centre.
Will it won't it, well just after Harbottle it made its mind up and it got very wet.
Dripped all over the cafe in Bellingham, and waited for the rain to stop.
Ride to Gretna went well, care of the tail wind and the ride upto Johnstonebridge was also quick, but it started to rain and we hid until it stopped.
Stopped at Saint Marys Loch to regroup, and split the last leg up.
It was after half past one when we got back, after a quick trip round Gala for the Asda and its all over.
The shower in the B & B, was welcome, the sleep came naturally.
Well done to Dave  on riding on fixed, its AAA devoid, but in Mr Larrington speak its "scenic"

Andy S

« Reply #19 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
Twas a brilliant day when I pitched tent on Friday afternoon in Melrose. Saturday morning was no disappointment either cool but sunny start warming nicely by the time we got to Wooler. I normally take my place near the  back quite early on but was pleased to stay with or at least keep in sight  a few well known faces as a far as Eglington where I tailed back on the climbs. The afternoon downpours had me soaked and downbeat by the halfway stage at Bellingham where, outside the cafe, I heard a bike being offered to a passer by for 50p :-) Regrouping all the way to  Hadrian's Wall was good for morale and being blown all the way along it was an unexpected pleasure. Caught in another downpour and with failing brakes enjoyed the scary descent into Greenhead. Weather cleared on route to Gretna where we all met up again. Fine run up to JBR with the wind helping. Topped up with caffeine and worked against the breeze, which wasn't so bad, up over the Grey Mare's Tail in the company Ian from Longtown. Just as well as I would have weakened and had a snooze at St Mary's Loch had a I been alone. Finished about 5:45 am about an hour faster than the previous year. In awe of those who finished around 1:30, still at least I always get my money's worth. I'm off to Derby next weekend to start a 600k and hopefully complete SR series this year .
Not so many of the organised longer audax events this year so thanks to Megajoules for running it again.

Dave H

Creaky Knees

« Reply #20 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:27:42 am »
You're welcome.

Really good luck for this weekends Derby 600 and completing this years SR series. Hope you are all recovered and ready for the off on Saturday. :thumbsup:
 Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Lucy.

Not so many of the organised longer audax events this year so thanks to Megajoules for running it again.

Dave H