Author Topic: south then north route query  (Read 5288 times)

Maladict

south then north route query
« on: 05 July, 2008, 09:16:31 pm »
Routesheet suggests turn off A6 onto A6006 at TL (quite early on).  This seems odd since following that route takes 68km to Oakham control which is advertised as being at 62km.  going the obvious short cut turning left in kegworth et al leads to a route of 62km.

the instructions don't have distances which is a big no-no for working out what the org meant.  but if the shortcut matches the claimed distance but not the instructions, I'm tempted to take the shortcut.

Re: south then north route query
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:18:22 pm »
I wouldn;t worry about taking any alternative route so long as I passed through the controls with the times specified.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »
I wouldn;t worry about taking any alternative route so long as I passed through the controls with the times specified.

What Mseries said; I can't see the organiser manning a secret control (or indeed any control) on that event.

Maladict

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:06:27 pm »
I found the next section came to shorter than claimed.  So I will complete working out the route before deciding if there are any unnecessary long-cuts I think.  :)

I was wondering if I'd misread the route... in fact it is rather difficult since maps are now rather out of date, several "nonexistant" junctions listed which are new roads which have been built since my maps were drawn.  I find 'em on satellite pics on google maps, in the process of being built usually.  :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:31:14 am »
I've got last year's route sheet with distances from Bikely or similar, which made it 63.5 km for the first leg.  Gizza shout if youd like a copy...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Maladict

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:42:30 am »
I've got last year's route sheet with distances from Bikely or similar, which made it 63.5 km for the first leg.  Gizza shout if youd like a copy...

YHPM

Maladict

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
OK I am up to the A1 section now.

What's riding up the A1 at (or before) midnight gonna be like?  (Let's assume the Maladict(a) from the BCM 08 is riding rather than the Maladict(a) from the BCM 07).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:21:50 pm »
What's riding up the A1 at (or before) midnight gonna be like?  (Let's assume the Maladict(a) from the BCM 08 is riding rather than the Maladict(a) from the BCM 07).

It wasn't too bad last year - most of the traffic appeared to be of the HGV variety.

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:25:43 am »

It wasn't too bad last year - most of the traffic appeared to be of the HGV variety.

it wasn't much fun at 0600 after SimonB and my alfresco night under the stars especailly as Simon TTd ahead leaving me to fish a valid receipt out of a bin at the petrol station.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
We used the A1 on the 2007 Easter Arrow for about 27km at about midnight. It was find. The traffic was light and gave us plenty of room. I think 5 small red lights close together moving around caused them to think there was something unusual ahead, I suppose there was, and take caution by passing wide. Try to be in a goup is my advice, stick together and  don't bunch up.

Maladict

« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2008, 01:36:46 pm »
I finisheded it.

I was riding with DKhan who told me it was 18km shorter via Worksop instead of going up the A1.

I went with him cos otherwise it'd been A1 on my own and spent day 2 wondering if I should add an extra 9km loop to make sure I did 600km.

I'm glad I didn't as I ended up riding 605km so the shortcut only saved 4km (I checked on autoroute when I got home too).

(If you believe the routesheet then it really is an 18km shortcut but a) the route shouldn't have been validated if that was the case, and b) the routesheet distances are Clearly Bollocks).

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:43:02 pm »
well done Simon and Dave hope the dogs are ok; was Rosie's open?

Maladict

« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:55:35 pm »
Where/what is Rosie's?

The dogs are mentalists.  ;D

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:59:23 pm »
Where/what is Rosie's?

Rosie's is the caff on the way back from the Humber bridge that's also on LEL; it's more of a mirage than a stop

Maladict

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:03:03 pm »
I never found the caff.  I had a waypoint for a caff after Saundby but ignored it.

Oh yes!  I saw a live Badger after Alfreton, scurrying around the road.  It ran away.

I also saw a young deer which saw me coming from its vantage point on the verge, at which point it bounded across the road and leapt over the fence into a field.  It could then be seen bounding through the wheat.  Brilliant.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:06:48 pm »
Where/what is Rosie's?

Here it is!

Its a transport cafe beloved of many Alfreton and Clowne Audax routes.
IIRC, its usually only open mornings till about 11 or so but longer by arrangement on audax rides...

Although I usually prefer the cafe at Misterton when I ride up that way...

« Reply #16 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
I've never been to Rosie's but about 26 years ago I went to a party at one of the two houses on the other side of  Barr Road from it (see pdm's Google link).

Maladict

« Reply #17 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »
Yes that's where my waypoint was.

I didn't stop.

My best food on that event was the ice lolly.

Which reminds me I have some cookie dough ice cream in the fridge.

<excuse me whilst I go finish it off>

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

I didn't stop.

I think that sums up the event nicely  :-\

Maladict

« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:35:14 am »

I didn't stop.

Slightly unfair, I paid for the post-ride food which was also very nice.

X rated events are like that though - and the ice lolly was mainly nice cos I was hot and something cold was needed.  And it was very nice sitting in the org's back garden after the event.  Even if the dogs did think my iPod and waterproof earphones was a new toy.  ;D

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2008, 07:49:50 am »

I didn't stop.

Slightly unfair, I paid for the post-ride food which was also very nice.

I didn't get any food afterwards, I think I got a lot more for £1 on El Supremo's 2006 Tea Bag series.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:24:44 am »
Where/what is Rosie's?

Rosie's is the caff on the way back from the Humber bridge that's also on LEL; it's more of a mirage than a stop

That's why they changed the control last year to the 24H petrol station in Gainsborough...

Maladict

« Reply #22 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:28:50 am »
The start was moved to the org's house this year which I think is why the control distances didn't make any sense, leading to some confusion about how far I had left to go; if the distances had been accurate I would've been OOT leaving the Blyth control by 30-45 mins, though I would've well back in time by Howden.

My legs are unusually sore - the ride was deceptively hard, I think esp cos I was pushing on day 2 to make up for loafing in controls on day 1.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #23 on: 15 July, 2008, 12:11:45 pm »
The start was moved to the org's house this year which I think is why the control distances didn't make any sense, leading to some confusion about how far I had left to go

???  The start was at the organisator's house in 2006 & 2007.  Unless it's a different organisator.

Maladict

« Reply #24 on: 15 July, 2008, 12:14:26 pm »
Oh.  Well, he said he'd moved the start from Alfreton to Derby.