Author Topic: Sorry for spoiling all this audaxness with a sportive question  (Read 4327 times)

ChrisO

Re: Sorry for spoiling all this audaxness with a sportive question
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
Surely the other significant difference, and the reason for some of the higher cost, is that sportive events tend to be marked and signposted whereas audax you find your own way along the route.

I always try to do the Ride of the Falling Leaves sportive in October.

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:58:51 pm »
Surely the other significant difference, and the reason for some of the higher cost, is that sportive events tend to be marked and signposted whereas audax you find your own way along
Not the case on the Hampshire Hilly 100; some riders were asking us the way on the Stonehenge 200

I was thinking last week how nice signing LEL would be (not that the route is that anfractuous©)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:20:04 am »
Also, unfortunately, I just can't justify the time for pootling around on an Audax, as most seem to be a long way away.
Your'e in Luton, you say? I admit I'm amazed that anyone has more sportives near them than Audaxes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #28 on: 14 July, 2008, 03:21:57 pm »
Also, unfortunately, I just can't justify the time for pootling around on an Audax, as most seem to be a long way away.
Your'e in Luton, you say? I admit I'm amazed that anyone has more sportives near them than Audaxes.

I did say I'd only done a couple!

The problem is, when looking through the audax rides listed on here, a lot do seem to be a long, long way away.  The snag is, even for nearer ones, like the many that go around (and up!) the Cotwolds which I'd like to go on, I just feel guilty using the car to get there, ride the bike for a good few hours, and then drive back again.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein