Author Topic: Late night stamp in Braemar  (Read 2936 times)

Late night stamp in Braemar
« on: 19 July, 2008, 11:20:31 pm »
MercuryKev, Craig and I are trying to plan a trip around the "Kingdom Come" 400km perm.

Is there a cash machine or anything to get a proof of passage in Braemar in the middle of the night?

If not, we may need to seriously re-plan.  :-\

Details will be posted soon and a general invitation to all yACFers when we've made more firm plans. :)

RJMcB

Re: Late night stamp in Braemar
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:22:33 pm »
Check with your organiser but Sheila did once tell me that a digital photo with correct date and time on the file would suffice as a proof or passage. Take a picture of something that identifies your location, you do not need to be in the picture.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:26:52 pm »
http://www.braemarscotland.co.uk/visiting_braemar/facilities_shops.htm

Allegedly there is an ATM. Can't vouch for it personally, though.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:27:36 pm »
RJMcB, there is a Bank of Scotland in Braemar.  I'd expect it would have a cash machine, though I could phone next week to find out. ~What did you use last year when you did the ride?

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:28:43 pm »
I believe the Fife Arms have a night porter chap.  Give them a phone.

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:33:01 pm »
When you doing it?  I may have reason to be in Braemar before you set off, so could check re potential controls...

Craig

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2008, 12:37:19 am »
link.co.uk has a map which should tell you if there's an ATM there (I'm on my phone so can't check).

Note Bank of Scotland ATM receipts don't usually have a placename on them. They just have a number for location.
(RBS ATM receipts do have placename)

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2008, 01:25:55 am »
Noodley is correct in thinking there is a night porter at the Fife Arms.
A friend and I once knocked him up in the very wee hours at the end of a Snow Roads permanent.
(He was actually vacuuming the lobby; the porter that is, not Noodley or my friend)

the Youth Hostel ? (depends on times I suppose)

Craig suggested link.co.uk.   link ATM web locator     edit: original link directly to Braemar ATMs from link.co.uk has expired so it's been removed.

If you fail to find anything in Braemar and depending on your direction, there is Blairgowrie or Ballater.  There's not much in the way of a shortcut   ;)  so missing Braemar shouldn't, IMO, be a problem.  If that's the case, a note to Lorraine submitted with your brevet would be acceptable.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2008, 07:29:53 am »
If you fail to find anything in Braemar and depending on your direction, there is Blairgowrie or Ballater.
Right enough guys, either Braemar OR Ballater is acceptable as a control on the Kingdom Come. If you don't want to pose outside a certain Ballater hairdresser's salon for a fotie, I'm fairly sure there is an RBS ATM there. 
As fin says, there's not much opportunity for a shortcut anyway.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2008, 11:42:57 am »
A friend and I once knocked him up in the very wee hours at the end of a Snow Roads permanent.

I'm surprised you had the energy  :o ;D

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:28:44 pm »
Turns ou that this is a bit of a non-issue then.  :-[

You're all invited btw:  http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5852.msg100292;topicseen#msg100292

RJMcB

y lee g

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:59:42 pm »
Dont think you'll get an RBS in either -  :(

RBS - Find your nearest branch

I rode this as a perm in 2005 and I'm sure there was a Clydesdale in Ballater, the chitty gave the street name only and not the town.  I'm sure I never got the 4 points either......

« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »
There is an ATM, directly opposite the Fife Arms.

I think I've done far too many perms - everywhere I go now it's "Ah, there's an ATM", or "I see you don't close before 7 on a Sunday"   :(