Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466881 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5225 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »
I have a feeling that everyone should own at least one Dawes Galaxy at some stage in their life.

In fact, is it not TEH LAW?

Oh! Butterfly. VERY nice bike BTW.  :-*
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5226 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:41:59 pm »
I have a feeling that everyone should own at least one Dawes Galaxy at some stage in their life.

In fact, is it not TEH LAW?
If it isn't, it should be :thumbsup:.

This is my mountain/winter bike in work mode:

and slightly blurry in touring mode:

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5227 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »

I used to base the upgrades to my tourers on being 'better than' the current Galaxy. ;D

But I do now own one (albeit forty years old) ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5228 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:49:27 pm »
I had a near-miss with one that was being sold locally last year.  Saved by an incompatible frame size, rather than common sense and already having two perfectly good (if not measurably better) touring bikes.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5229 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
BTW. Tiermat I just wanted to tell you publicly that it has SIXTEEN fully functioning gear ratios  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5230 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:55:32 pm »

Lily, my Dawes Galaxy, in Brighton after doing the FNRttC :)
Needs respraying in PINK ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #5231 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:20:39 am »
Well my rebuilds continue, this is first off the press, my Ti road frame now re-done with the Ti/Black/Red colour scheme and sporting Salsa La Cruz steel disc forks. Apart from that main changes are a move to 10 speed with 105 parts and Salsa Cowbell bars which are a bit flared out and pretty wide across the top. Currently in Winter mode with Marathon tyres and the clip on hybrid mudguards:-

Burls Road 1 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Burls Road 2 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Burls Road 3 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Burls Road 4 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Burls Road 5 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #5232 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:40:00 am »
That's a very nice set up, MacB. Lots thought given to details, and nice to see those forks :)

Interesting to see those platform pedals - currently using Ergons.

How does it ride?

Frere

« Reply #5233 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:58:11 pm »
Well it feels all light and fast to me but that's because I had put a hub gear on this frame when I initially went from 9 speed. I decided not to run the Rohloff on this frame as it isn't braced between the stays and I was concerned about the torque. I also decided that two hub gear bikes would be fine, the tour/allrounder and the 29er, so I'd kit this out primarily as a fair weather bike.

The platforms work fine, they are grippier than my previous ones with molded pins, I may have to remove a couple of the pins. I know it's a cardinal sin on a bike but I find it comfier and, most importantly, more enjoyable to ride like this.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #5234 on: 12 March, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »
Lovely bike MacB  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5235 on: 12 March, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »

Lily, my Dawes Galaxy, in Brighton after doing the FNRttC :)

Very nice, but how did simon react?

Mud guards, Check
Rear Rack, Check
Front Rack, Check
Bag large enough for a weeks tour, Check.

:demon:

« Reply #5236 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »

Very nice, but how did simon react?

I think that's Simon bundled up inside the suitcasesaddlepack
Nuns, no sense of humour

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5237 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:24:59 pm »
Simon can be a bit sensitive about what you turn up with.  A new years back I rocked up at HPC with a wife and two large panniers bolted to the back of the tandem.  He called me "a menace to society!"  ;D

« Reply #5238 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:34:41 pm »
Simon can be a bit sensitive about what you turn up with.  A new years back I rocked up at HPC with a wife and two large panniers bolted to the back of the tandem.  He called me "a menace to society!"  ;D

Bit harsh bolting the wife on
Nuns, no sense of humour

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5239 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »

She probably wished I had.  It was her first outing with SPDs and she ended up sprawled in the middle of a busy London street with the tandem on top of her after I made a cock up and didn't give her enough time to unclip.  Suffice to say she's not used SPDs since!

« Reply #5240 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »

She probably wished I had.  It was her first outing with SPDs and she ended up sprawled in the middle of a busy London street with the tandem on top of her after I made a cock up and didn't give her enough time to unclip.  Suffice to say she's not used SPDs since!

Ooooh, bet you were Mr Popular
Nuns, no sense of humour

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5241 on: 12 March, 2012, 03:07:11 pm »
No, not really  ;D

« Reply #5242 on: 12 March, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
This is the latest version of bike stable entry No2, the 29er...having 'decided' that I wasn't allowed 3 Ti frames I elected to have steel as the offroad option. This involved a bit of humming and hawing and I eventually settled on a Surly Karate Monkey as a stop gap...but I've discovered I do rather like the way it rides. I'm also a lot happier throwing around a cheap frame than a fancy one, I seem to be a rather clumsy offroad rider. I paired the frame up with Salsa Grande Cromoto forks, a bit more compliant than the KM ones, and removed and replaced with blanks the frame canti mounts. I nearly bought a Salsa El Mariachi frame, because I wanted the adjustable dropouts, but it lacks all the other fittings and versatility of the KM, plus the KM was less than half the price.

This is it in general road/light trail mode with Halo Twin rail 2.2" tyres and SKS Beavertail clip on guards, plus a rather prominent Topeak Mountain Morph pump. Offroad mode then the tyres get swapped for Bonty Mud X and the mudguards get ditched. It's currently got the SRAM I-9 hub wheel running 34x21(gives 25 to 86 inches) but I have plans around a future Alfine, mainly for the trigger shifter and to match the black colour scheme  :facepalm: I decided that a Rohloff was too much for my offroad needs and it would be of better use on the impending touring frame. I actually think that the 8 speed Alfine will be enough for offroad, though I'll keep an eye on 11 speed prices. The I-9 will either go on my wifes bike or be built into a wheel for a folder.

Surly KM 1 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Surly KM 2 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Surly KM 3 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr

Surly KM 4 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr
Nuns, no sense of humour

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5243 on: 13 March, 2012, 10:12:32 pm »

On-One Inbred, re-fettled. This was my MTB but a) my Ridgeback needs some TLC and b) I hardly ever used it for its intended purpose. Therefore I put some Kona forks on I had in the shed plus some new guards and swapped the rack from the other bike.
Pen Pusher

ed_o_brain

« Reply #5244 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »
I try not to touch this thread.. it turns me into the proverbial child in a sweet shop.
This is the entire fleet now.. my über-commuter, prosaic in appearance but with that 'dale frame at it's heart, quite nippy. I know you have seen it before, but as I've just recommissioned it after I lay-off, I thought it worth another mention.

uber commuter by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

T'is a '95 Canondale M500 which is fairly stock except for the saddles, bars, stem, tyres, guards and rack. The only thing I find unforgiving is the Q-factor which my knees dislike after 30 or 40 miles.

There's some great steeds on here..

« Reply #5245 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
Daniel, that looks pretty nice to me.  How do you get the rack to stay put?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5246 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »
It has galvanised? brackets from the end of the rack nearest the seat post to braze-ons at the top of the seat stays.
Not easy to see with glass doors as a back drop.

« Reply #5247 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »
You're right, Jogler; the same as mine.  Should have gone to Specsavers!

« Reply #5248 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
Dolan Stryke TT

Frame upgrade on last year's bike, most of the componentry swapped over. Record 10 speed groupset, with custom 53T all carbon Fibre-Lyte chainring, inner ring is a TA 46T.

As yet un-tested, hope to get out tomorrow afternoon for a shakedown. First race next weekend.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5249 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »
 :thumbsup: Jeeze, tokamak, that looks like it's going fast even when it's standing still.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.