Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2468690 times)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6175 on: 09 March, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »

Hanlon Build by JuanM58, on Flickr

So, here is my Pat Hanlon project for which I have been collecting components for the last few months it her initial shake down configuration, just off the stand having been built up. The weather is still lousy so I just had a quick 10 minute run up the road and it all feels very promising; it feels agile and quick and the frame has a taut, springy feel to it. When the weather improves I'll go off with a pocket full of tools for an extended fettling session. My intention is to run it through the summer and settle everything down and deal with the cosmetic issues when I take it off the road next autumn - the frame is pretty tatty not to mention pea-green but I can live with it until then. 

Pat Hanlon 1969 Criterium frame with Genetic Cranium alloy headset and Campag BB .
Rigida Chrina rims on Campag NT low flange hubs
N Record Strada cranks 52/42, MKS Track pedals, Cristophe clips and straps
N Record rear derailleur, Gran Sport front mech
Campag Gran Sport callipers

Currently fitted with Milremo stem, no-name bars and Weinmann levers
to be replaced with Mavic stem, Cinelli Criterium bars and Campag levers.
Gipiemme seatpost and butchered B17 to be replaced by Campag twin-bolt seatpost and Brooks Swallow.
5-speed block ex Coventry Eagle 14-28 to be replaced by Maillard 16-20

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6176 on: 09 March, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »

the frame is pretty tatty not to mention pea-green but I can live with it until then. 
I wouldn't normally like green bikes but that, well, that looks just right!
Nice build, that man.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6177 on: 09 March, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »

It doesn't often look this clean.

I have the same bike. keeping it clean is difficult. What are your mudgards??

Toady

« Reply #6178 on: 09 March, 2013, 11:35:58 pm »

This is my Dawes.  Pictured at the bottom of Toy's Hill today before I whizzed wheezed up it. 

I bought it for £50 off ebay a couple of years back when I decided to start cycling again.  I didn't want to blow a load of money on something I might not use much, so I thought "this'll do to start with".  It was about 25 years old but on close inspection had been ridden very little and had spent most of that time in a dry garage. 

Since then I've gradually replaced pretty much everything.  Only the frame, stem, handlebars, mudguards and gear shifters remain.  The wheels came from this forum (independently, they don't match).  The gears are Shimano Alivio MTB rear mech and 2300 front mech.  Levers are the original friction levers.  The chainset is stronglight from Spa.  The seatpost is something or other.  I can't remember.  The saddle is my old Brooks B17 from earlier in my life.  The brake levers are similarly anonymous.  Brakes are Tektro dual pivot.  The bar tape is green.  All quite cheap stuff.  It weighs in at 13kg unladen.

It is/was a Dawes Shadow, which was - I think - a basic bottom of the range model.  Frame is Reynold's 500 (plain guage)

It was my 50th this year and I have permission to treat myself to a new bike, but to be honest I don't really want one.  I'd be afraid that I'd spend a load on something I didn't like as much as this.  Maybe I'd love all the new modern stuff, but what you've never had, you don't miss.  I came close to bidding for a Genesis Day One Alfine 11 on ebay last week, but my heart wasn't in it.  This one will do for now.  At least until the new bits wear out.

You can put lipstick on a pig.  It looks quite good, I think.

That's a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx on the bars.  Another bit of antiquated kit.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6179 on: 09 March, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »

SKS with an integral mud flap on the front. I think the mud flap makes quite a difference, judging by the mud that collects underneath it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6180 on: 10 March, 2013, 03:23:36 pm »

SKS with an integral mud flap on the front. I think the mud flap makes quite a difference, judging by the mud that collects underneath it!
Did you modify them??
I have 28mm tyres and the gap is very small.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6181 on: 10 March, 2013, 04:54:42 pm »
I also have 28mm tyres. I've just measured the guards and they're 47mm wide. They're very tight under the fork crown, to the extent that in the autumn, dead leaves caused sufficient friction for me to have to stop and clear them out, frequently. The back is ok though.

« Reply #6182 on: 10 March, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »
So, here is my Pat Hanlon project

Old school. Very nice too.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6183 on: 11 March, 2013, 07:59:43 am »
This is my Dawes.  Pictured at the bottom of Toy's Hill today ...

That is very nice, a proper bike. 

I too am contemplating a posh bike, it'll be in a couple of years when I've saved up.  I have a good idea what I'd like but I'm worried I won't like the new posh bike better than my existing machines.  There's nothing wrong with my current stable so why fix something that isn't broken?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6184 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »
A tale with a moral attached, from my dim past.

In the 1990's I raced MTB cross country (too chicken to do downhill and 4X hadn't even been invented then).  I started by buying a mid-range hardtail Marin, returning it after 3 weeks to get the top of the range one(Pine Mountain).  I rode that bike, day in, day out, raced it and generally went everywhere on it.  I loved that bike, even though it was, maybe, slightly too small for me (so that is not a new thing for me).  After a year or so of racing a Marin Mt Vision Pro full suss XC bike came up for sale at the LBS, at a much reduced price (it was September so they were clearing out ready for the new model year).  It was a lovely bike, fast, all the toys and light.  Over the next 10 years I think I rode it about 20 times, tops.  I tried racing on it, but couldn't get on with it, I kept it thinking I would come to love it, but each time I went to the garage to get a bike out, the Pine Mountain would be the one I chose, not the Mt Vision Pro.  Eventually I sold them both(as I switched from off road to on road), but the Pine Mountain is the one I miss.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6185 on: 11 March, 2013, 01:09:22 pm »
^^^ Exactly.

My two main bikes are a 2004 Claud Butler hard tail MTB which has been roadified and is my "do anything" bike.  Currently it is set up with Marathon Winters.  The other machine is a blue Ribble Winter which I purchased as a frame (£150 with carbon forks) in March 2009.

I'd like to get this chap to build me a bespoke disc braked audax / light touring steel framed machine that in theory would replace the Ribble.  Thing is I'm not sure what I'd gain as the Ribble was perfectly comfortable when I did a 600 last year and have no doubt I could be longer rides on it e.g. the 2015 PBP.  Still, I'm not rushing into anything so will have plenty of time to mull over all the options.

« Reply #6186 on: 11 March, 2013, 02:02:38 pm »
Simillarly, I have three bikes;
the Hewitt Cheviot I got in 2005 to replace the frame I damaged in an accident,
the Fixie (actually the British Eagle Touristique) conversion of the frame I damaged and then replaced the forks in 2007.
the Van Nic Yukon purchased in 2011.

Each bike has it's purpose, hewitt - pack horse, fixie - commuting / utility, Van Nic - fast day rides. All three get used however if I am just grabbing a bike to go out the fixie gets picked. I have had this frame since about 1998 when dad got it second hand, it just fits feels wonderfully stable and goes. The Van Nic is great fun, don't get me wrong I'm keeping it, but I need a specific reason to pick it as the bike to take such as needing to ride faster than normal or it is a specific day ride.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6187 on: 11 March, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »

« Reply #6188 on: 11 March, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »
I also have 28mm tyres. I've just measured the guards and they're 47mm wide. They're very tight under the fork crown, to the extent that in the autumn, dead leaves caused sufficient friction for me to have to stop and clear them out, frequently. The back is ok though.
Thanks
Trying to find the right mudguards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6189 on: 11 March, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »

My Romany is in there (turquoise), along with Butterfly's Cyclone (Two-tone grey) and one of Crock of Gold's fleet and some other bikes (Mice's Brommie out of shot) ;D
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #6190 on: 11 March, 2013, 10:40:09 pm »

My Romany is in there (turquoise), along with Butterfly's Cyclone (Two-tone grey) and one of Crock of Gold's fleet and some other bikes (Mice's Brommie out of shot) ;D

That looks like a Tour de France crash

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6191 on: 11 March, 2013, 11:01:22 pm »
We have an identical ironing board! We don't use it much either...  ;)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6192 on: 12 March, 2013, 08:29:49 pm »

Did someone shout "Last one back buys the cake!"?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #6193 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »
Here's my B'Twin Triban 3 in full commuter set up. I've added a pannier rack and SKS raceblades but the best buy has to be the Spa Cycles Nidd saddle - it was comfy from the off!

Can't fault the bike. Super value for money.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6194 on: 13 March, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
Brilliant haydenw - a nice looking set up.  Although I don't have a Decathlon bike I am a big Decathlon fan.  What make is the rack?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6195 on: 13 March, 2013, 11:33:30 am »
Here's my B'Twin Triban 3 in full commuter set up. I've added a pannier rack and SKS raceblades but the best buy has to be the Spa Cycles Nidd saddle - it was comfy from the off!

I've heard lots of good things from various sources about B'Twin bikes, but I'm afraid we have to dock marks for the untidy plastic bag on the floor. We'll forgive the lack of Marmite jar as an oversight, especially as you do have the cranks in line with the down tube.  :D

« Reply #6196 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:25:48 pm »
I must confess to having seen a significant number of Btwins recently. I think they have been 'discovered'.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6197 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »
I must confess to having seen a significant number of Btwins recently. I think they have been 'discovered'.

I think, in particular, the Triban is a real hit for them. Been reviewed exceptionally well.

They do look great. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6198 on: 14 March, 2013, 07:02:16 am »
A colleague of mine is wanting to get into cycling and is taking himself off to Evans this weekend with a view to getting a £1000 Ride2Work voucher.  I have just emailed him to suggest he looks at the Triband as an alternative.  I think if I was him I would go with the Triband and see if I liked cycling.  If he sets it up like haydenw he'll have a very practical bike as well as one that rides nicely.

LEE

« Reply #6199 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:23:41 am »

I checked out the Triban last time I was in Decathlon.  It's a lot of bike for the money.  Hat's off to Decathlon.  I like their approach to no-nonsense functional sports gear.