Author Topic: Daytime rear light  (Read 3207 times)

Daytime rear light
« on: 16 May, 2019, 05:13:09 am »
I am a long way behind modern cycle lights.
I've seen that a lot of cyclists out training in the local lanes keep a very visible rear flashing light running in the daytime.
There will be a usb outlet from my motor's battery so I'd like recommendations for suitable usb rechargeable, high visibility, flashing rear lights, please.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Daytime rear light
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:46:18 am »
I use one of these https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bike-rear-lights/bontrager-flare-r-city-rear-bike-light/p/14241/?colorCode=black USB rechargeable but I don’t know if it supports pass through charging?

It’s compact and bright, no much more to say.

Just noticed this is in the Dark Side so don’t know if that gives any issues with mounting it? I’ve got mine mounted on seatstay and seat rails

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:47:50 am »
I use one of these https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bike-rear-lights/bontrager-flare-r-city-rear-bike-light/p/14241/?colorCode=black USB rechargeable but I don’t know if it supports pass through charging?

It’s compact and bright, no much more to say.

Just noticed this is in the Dark Side so don’t know if that gives any issues with mounting it? I’ve got mine mounted on seatstay and seat rails
Thanks PaulF
That's a clever link: it tells me the three nearest stockists and not an unreasonable price!
Making mounts is easy enough.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:49:31 am »
The Flare lights get my vote too - I have both the ‘City’ and full fat versions. Very good. The flash modes include a low frequency pulse, which is about the most acceptable form of flashing light on a bike IMO.

What might be of extra interest on a recumbent is the RT version, which comes with a wireless remote switch for handlebar mounting.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:50:35 am »
The Flare lights get my vote too - I have both the ‘City’ and full fat versions. Very good. The flash modes include a low frequency pulse, which is about the most acceptable form of flashing light on a bike IMO.

What might be of extra interest on a recumbent is the RT version, which comes with a wireless remote switch for handlebar mounting.
Thanks for that Citoyen
I'll take a look at the remote control version.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:06:16 am »
Excellent for riding solo. Bloody impolite when riding with others.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:49:32 am »

This particular light or rear lights in general?

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:43:33 am »
Flashing lights.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:49:20 am »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2019, 12:58:10 pm »
Flashing lights.

Indeed at night they are, I had to drop off a group on the Auld Alliance because one was causing havoc with my eyesight.
During the day never had a problem

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2019, 01:09:39 pm »

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2019, 02:15:29 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2019, 05:05:52 pm »
Some suggestions in this thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111184.msg2372707#msg2372707

In this thread there was mention of the Smart 1/2W lights.
They are available on eBay as 1/2W or 1W.
Are they a good 'be seen in the daylight' rear light? If so, which one for preference?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2019, 06:56:37 pm »
While they're certainly useful in gloomy wet weather, I reckon they're the bare minimum of what would count as visible in daylight.  If you care, you want something brighter.

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:14:23 pm »
While they're certainly useful in gloomy wet weather, I reckon they're the bare minimum of what would count as visible in daylight.  If you care, you want something brighter.

Thank you
I do care. Having entered my eighth decade I find myself determined to do all I can to get to the ninth.  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2019, 02:56:08 pm »
Please don't do that. You are just training car drivers to look for flashing lights rather than cyclists.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 21 May, 2019, 02:58:13 pm »
Please don't do that. You are just training car drivers to look for flashing lights rather than cyclists.

It's okay, this is The Dark Side.  Normal invisibility rules don't apply.

(As discussed in that fog thread, I think a daylight-visible rear light is a thing that's worth having for the odd occasion that conditions justify its use.  Most bike lights have more than one brightness mode.)

« Reply #17 on: 01 July, 2019, 05:35:37 pm »
So I goes to Leisure Lakes my local stockist to buy a £50 Flare thingy rear light to find that they have moved eight miles and are no longer local.
I goes to Fred Williams instead and was recommended an Exposure Trace R for £40.
'Only' 75 lumens rather than 90 but after swapping abuse with Mick Williams I got a 10% discount 🙂 which made it a must buy!
 1.8 lumens per pound at LL's. but two lumens per pound at Fred's..Bargain..