Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391278 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1225 on: 09 February, 2019, 01:31:09 pm »
Secret controls used to be quite common in AUK brevets last century.

Indeed they did 'in my day', when routes were mandatory and secret controls were used to maintain integrity. AIUI the Event Secretary could demand either an information or Secret Control for this.

Some Secret Controls were pretty large roadside refreshment stops you could hardly miss if you were awake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1226 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:44:11 pm »
I didn't realize AUK brevets used to have mandatory routes. When did they stop being mandatory and why?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1227 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
They stopped some years ago - around the turn of the millennium I think, though it was before my time ...

I understand that at least one reason was (possibly misplaced) concern about insurance in the event of an incident, in that a mandatory route might open the organiser to liability if it was argued that they had not sufficiently exercised their duty of care, whereas advisory-only routes might be more supportive of the notion that everyone is on an independent excursion and has done their own due diligence over the route they have chosen.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1228 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:25:45 am »
That has a logic to it, though taken further could argue against route sheets (whether printed, electronic or whatever). Possibly (this has just occurred to me this second) you could argue that mandatory routes are contrary to "the spirit of self-sufficiency".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1229 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:28:45 am »
AUK is the only randonneuring organisation with advisory routes. Self-sufficiency can be taken a little too far. Don't forget to knit your own bike frame and collect your own rainwater.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1230 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:41:03 am »
Well, I know three randonneurs who've made their own frames,* but none of them has produced the raw materials themselves. (Yes, I know the self-sufficiency argument is specious, but it just popped into my head at that moment.)

*About eight frames in total between the three of them, though definitely not all used on audaxes (or used by audaxeurs – some have been made for eg family members).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1231 on: 11 February, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
When did they stop being mandatory and why?

The alteration in the Regs was in November 1999. 
The 'why' is unclear since there is no record of any discussion around the topic, at that time.  I think it was simple recognition of what was becoming normal custom & practice.  Secret controls, which had been commonplace during most events, were becoming increasingly rare as events tended to be run by individuals rather than clubs, and were understaffed as a result.  Riders recognising this were starting to make their own route choices.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1232 on: 18 February, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »
It is better to let DIY/ECE organisers know you DNS/DNF'ed an entry, or does that just add to noise in their inbox?

« Reply #1233 on: 18 February, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »
Yes, better to let us know (that's my view as a DIY Org, anyway). Otherwise I might spend time searching for a track I think I might have mislaid, or emailing riders to check what happened. So the extra "noise" is better than unfathomed silence.

Thanks!

Tony

« Reply #1234 on: 14 March, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »
Are ACP codes given to events before or after they happen?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1235 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:26:44 pm »
Brevet numbers for riders? After.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1236 on: 18 March, 2019, 01:16:48 am »
Do Audax Ireland publish finishers lists anywhere? Has anyone got experience getting one added to their AUK results?

Do I just wait for the brevet card to (hopefully) turn up and give the recorder the ACP number?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1237 on: 18 March, 2019, 04:00:02 pm »
Or a photo of card with brevet number attached.  A number on its own would have to be checked 'somewhere' - a decent photo would be good enough I think.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1238 on: 19 March, 2019, 01:57:25 pm »
So claiming an overseas 200 etc. is just a case of e-mailing the recorder with some sort of proof? What's the e-mail address?

EDIT - Disnae matter. Found the contact form on the website.

« Reply #1239 on: 02 April, 2019, 10:20:57 am »
I've planned a route to ECE the Wigginton Spring 100. Now I've downloaded a gpx of the route and quite a bit of it overlaps with my ECE route. Is this allowed?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1240 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:15:59 am »
I've planned a route to ECE the Wigginton Spring 100. Now I've downloaded a gpx of the route and quite a bit of it overlaps with my ECE route. Is this allowed?
I think it's ok if you are going in the opposite direction. Not so sure if you use the same route the same way twice. Best check with the eve organiser.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1241 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:07:58 am »
Depends on the extent of the overlap - I did one a couple of months back with a few km overlap and didn't see the problem, and was validated.

As with most things audax, as long as you don't take the piss, you'll be validated.

« Reply #1242 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:16:24 am »
Try to minimise the overlap of the same roads used in the same direction. Obviously it may easily be impossible to avoid all overlap as there may only be one route in/out of the control.

If you've got a choice routes that would avoid overlap and not add too much distance (or put you on horrible roads) then try to keep them separate as much as possible.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1243 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:12:12 am »
Thanks for the replies. Got it down to approx 10k overlap. Def not taking the piss. I'll just do it and see if it gets validated.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #1244 on: 08 April, 2019, 08:44:26 pm »
So claiming an overseas 200 etc. is just a case of e-mailing the recorder with some sort of proof? What's the e-mail address?

EDIT - Disnae matter. Found the contact form on the website.
Anyone had a ride added recently? Still no sign in my results.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1245 on: 01 May, 2019, 10:50:26 pm »
I've noticed that Google Walking mode has an increasing number of mountain passes that are perhaps not the best routing for a DIY Perm.
For example, feed it Pitlochry to Braemar and it'll take you up the Lairg into the Spittal of Glenshee; possibly fine on an MTB or as a Rough Stuff Ride (I don't know) but a ball ache for a DIY Perm as
I'm not really wanting to set an intermediary at Dalrulzion unless absolutely necessary (alternative proof of passage impossible)

Similarly I've just discovered it seems to like the Fungle Road as a route from Braemar to Fetterey when set to walking, aye right I'm doing that on 28mm tyres...

Found this also when routing in the lakes which resulted in me going mandatory routing...

Is this as much a risk to our niché as the ongoing death of cash machines and paper receipts?

« Reply #1246 on: 02 May, 2019, 12:55:15 pm »
Found this also when routing in the lakes which resulted in me going mandatory routing...
I can see why this would favour your use of  GPX validation, but that doesn't mean it has to be a mandatory route, just that your GPX file shows you've gone through the control points.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1247 on: 02 May, 2019, 04:01:02 pm »
I can see why this would favour your use of  GPX validation, but that doesn't mean it has to be a mandatory route, just that your GPX file shows you've gone through the control points.

When the route over the hill saves 20km between 2 consecutive control points it kind of destroys the suitability of the route for use as a advisory.

When I'm doing designing advisory DIY routes I prefer to allow for GPS failure i.e. there being somewhere to get paper proof.
Also with the eye to possibly offering as Perm or maybe even an event some point in the future.

In the case of the lakes route it was an existing calendar event adapted, I went mandatory to avoid loads of extra controls at locations described as "The sheep on GSV that's standing on a rock between Arseend of nowhere and nowhere"

I did use a waypoint similar on Mull but I'd used GSV to work out what was in the area for photo backup.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1248 on: 02 May, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »
In the (distant) past, I have submitted DIY routes using a GoogleMaps reference that had extra waypoints to get me off clearly unsuitable roads/tracks. (usually just 1-or-two per ride). I included a clear, polite cover-note!

Obviously this only worked with the cooperation/discretion of the organiser, but it could be worth a try...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1249 on: 02 May, 2019, 04:39:45 pm »
Aye, I'm just concerned this will become a rule with Google walking routing rather than the odd exception;
probably much to the delight of Mountain Rescue... Tey've already picked someone up from Tower ridge on the Ben without any of the approrpiate kit who was a google maps walking route...