Author Topic: Tunefind  (Read 1958 times)

sam

Tunefind
« on: 05 May, 2023, 10:34:11 am »
Following on from Long long time…

Songs you first heard on a TV show or film that you liked enough to have made it into rotation.

Ronstadt's doesn't count for me, as it was hard to miss on the radio way back when.

Letters From Rome - Treme
Frankie's Gun - Outnumbered; see if you can get through that without BANG BANG BANGing
Woke Up This Morning, Black Books (sublime), and Nobody Loves Me But You - The Sopranos

"Endlessly I'm falling"

Welcome Back – rare example of a theme song that made the grade. Wonderfully evocative of a time and a place. And how long were the credits!

Perhaps it’s not surprising it's so good (at least if you’re a sop for nostalgia), as it was written and recorded by former Lovin' Spoonful frontman John Sebastian, who looks like John Lennon’s long lost cousin in this picture.

This one’s for Yoko

sam

Re: Tunefind
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2023, 10:28:14 am »
Out of Time Man, Mick Harvey - Breaking Bad

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2023, 10:31:14 am »
The burning bridges song from Kelly's Heroes.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2023, 05:53:47 pm »
Anyone who grew up in the UK in the 1970's will remember the iconic theme music for "Robinson Crusoe", one of many European TV programmes that the BBC brought and then dubbed into English.  For years now, I kept on thinking I really must get around to finding it online.  And of course, someone has the entire series on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlvZer5grnqrBXRRwY-4l1bxSohgS73bm
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

sam

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2023, 07:20:49 pm »
This also doesn't count, but nicely done montage from Better Call Saul, for a cover of Something Stupid by Lola Marsh.

The burning bridges song from Kelly's Heroes.

Good old gold heist movies. Put 'em in a sub!

Anyone who grew up in the UK in the 1970's will remember the iconic theme music for "Robinson Crusoe"

Wilson the Castaway volleyball got a fine score for his [spoiler alert] departure:

From the YouTube comments:
Guys don't be sad Wilson is out there floating across the ocean travelling across the world seeing all kinds of beautiful things

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2023, 12:46:23 am »
Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown on The Blacklist.

What's this bottom line for anyway?

sam

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2023, 04:18:47 am »
99 Problems, Hugo, also The Blacklist.

One man band walking tour of NYC. At least you don't need a permit for that.

Quote from: Wikipedia
On January 21, 2009, Jay-Z performed the song as part of his set at the Staff Ball, the last official event of Barack Obama's inauguration. The ball was exclusively for 4,000 staffers who had worked on Obama's campaign. Jay-Z tweaked the lyrics to suit the historic atmosphere, and the crowd sang along: "I got 99 problems but a Bush ain't one", replacing "bitch" with the name of the former President.

sam

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2023, 10:56:15 am »
Various Disgraces, The Blam - The Office (US version)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2023, 05:28:52 pm »
Anyone who grew up in the UK in the 1970's will remember the iconic theme music for "Robinson Crusoe", one of many European TV programmes that the BBC brought and then dubbed into English.  For years now, I kept on thinking I really must get around to finding it online.  And of course, someone has the entire series on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlvZer5grnqrBXRRwY-4l1bxSohgS73bm
Thank you so much for that, Adam.  As soon as I read "Robinson Crusoe" the theme tune came into my head.  It and "White Horses", another Europan collaboration, were my 1960's childhood faves.  Childhood TV finished with the first series of Catweazle.  1970's teenage TV for me was "The Sweeney".
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

sam

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2023, 07:23:09 am »
Phantom Of Aleppoville, Benjamin Clementine - Wanderlust. But I'm going to highlight Nemesis because I play it more often:

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2023, 12:50:07 am »
Run - Stephen Fretwell (Gavin and Stacey theme)

sam

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2023, 07:35:44 am »
That sounds like a nice companion piece for Richard Hawley's Roll River Roll, from Getting On.

sam

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2023, 12:43:31 am »
Long Time Ago, Concrete Blonde – The Shield

sam

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2023, 05:51:51 am »
Grey in L.A., Loudon Wainwright - Knocked Up