Author Topic: Vanilla  (Read 3757 times)

gonzo

Vanilla
« on: 23 April, 2008, 01:22:25 pm »
I've just received an order of herbs and spices including a half kilo of oregano for £2! In the order were 2 vanilla pods. It's way to early (and cold) to make ice cream so I intend to leave it by my desk and just sniff it every now and then!

Real vanilla; the greatest smell ever. Discuss!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:55:29 pm »
My mum makes the best ice cream, and far most the simplest ice cream I know too. egg, sugar, whipped cream and vanilla and let it cook until frozen.

And by the way ....

IT IS NEVER EARLY OR TOO COLD FOR ICE CREAM !!!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:00:17 pm »
Woolly can u do a step by step guide? I wanna make ice cream!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:02:59 pm »
Woolly's ice cream has special powers.  ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:07:40 pm »
Here you go ....

First you got to the shop and get freezer if you do not have one. And then you get get some eggs (big ones) and some sugar and some double cream for whipping. And then you go and find yourself tools and a kitchen :)

3-4 egg yolks (depending on size).
1 dl of sugar (1/10 of a liter, around a cup I think).

Mix into a eggnog, make sure the sugar crystals are mixed into the egg yolks.

1 pint of double fat cream. Whip that into nice and fluffy whipped cream.

Then mix the lot together along with a wee drop of vanilla.

Then top up with whatever flavoring you like, I have tried with marzipan and dark chocolate, toblerone, M&M's but do freeze them first as they
will melt(???) in the mix and turn the ice cream into rainbow, but then again you might like that.

My mum have tried fresh fruits but they have just crystallized and that have ruined the ice cream, might be worth to try out dried up fruit.

And then you bang that into the freezer and let it cook for around 24hours, if you can wait that long, it will be very hard when you you have tasted the not frozen mix :)

EDIT : I tried 2 shots of Baileys into the mix along with some light chocolate and man was that goooooooood :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »
Woolly's ice cream has special powers.  ;)
Do tell me :)

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »
And then you bang that into the freezer and let it cook for around 24hours, if you can wait that long, it will be very hard when you you have tasted the not frozen mix :)

Do you not stir yours as it is freezing?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »
Do you not stir yours as it is freezing?
Nope never have done, the mix tend to be thick enough so that the fillings do not settle. Just remember when you are mixing the eggnog and whipped cream just turn it together don't whip together.

gonzo

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
Nope never have done, the mix tend to be thick enough so that the fillings do not settle.

It's usually to keep the mixture smooth and to stop big ice crystals forming.

I'm going to have to try your recipe at some point now!

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
What about making some proper custard !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2008, 05:40:45 pm »
If you put your vanilla pods in a jar of sugar which you can top up indefinitely as you use it, then you will have a supply of vanilla sugar. When recipes go on about steeping vanilla pods in milk etc ignore but just use vanilla sugar as described. I have never come across a recipe which uses vanilla except with sugar.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:39:09 am »
Not sure if the offer is still on but Julian Graves, the Health Shop chain, were doing vanilla pods on BOGOF.

RainOrShine

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2008, 01:56:14 pm »
For bulk purchase, the best place I have found is The Vanilla Works.  £8 for 10. :thumbsup:

gonzo

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:53:58 pm »
New things I discovered about ice-cream with my last batch;

1) If you use a kenwood to keep it whisking while you slowly add the heated cream to the egg yolks and then whisk lots afterwards, you don't really need to stir it in the freezer.

2) Don't add chocolate when you've still got hot custard; the chocolate all melts and when it freezes what you're left with is essentially a large bar of frozen dairy milk!

Dave

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:39:47 pm »
New things I discovered about ice-cream with my last batch;
2) Don't add chocolate when you've still got hot custard; the chocolate all melts and when it freezes what you're left with is essentially a large bar of frozen dairy milk!

You say that like it's a bad thing ???

gonzo

« Reply #15 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:48:34 pm »
Dave - have you ever tried cutting frozen dairy milk? It's spectacular once you can cut chunks off. My prefered method is currently to use a chef's blow torch!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:49:42 pm »
Gonzo - you're an engineering student, surely you can get your hands on a flask of liquid nitrogen?  :thumbsup: