Author Topic: Clarion goes to the Dark Side  (Read 15706 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Clarion goes to the Dark Side
« Reply #25 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:40:39 pm »
Mmmm nice!  Need one of those tandems! :)
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 29 December, 2008, 05:24:58 pm »
defrost the hub before you go with a hairdryer  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #27 on: 29 December, 2008, 06:58:59 pm »
defrost the hub before you go with a hairdryer  ;D

I thought that the yacf/ctc standard way was to pee on it?   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:35:35 pm »
:o

I got home, and the hub was working fine when I needed it to get up the hills at home.

I managed to keep pace with an old woman on a hybrid all the way up Brixton & Streatham Hills :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:20:29 am »
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:48:43 am »
The hub changed as I turned into the road where I work ;D

Maye I should have used the Mikey method ;D

But I did OK.  I wasn't fast, and my hand hurts, but I got here by my own pedalling.

Need to set off even earlier tomorrow - late three days in a row would be bad. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:25:13 am »
please clean it before you return it if you use the mikey method  :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:26:30 am »
I fear it would be a recipe for a rusty chain... :-\

And if you think I'm exposing myself to these temperatures, you have to be kidding! ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:27:16 pm »
Took me ages to get home tonight.  That's partly cause I went to Brixton Cycles for a new chain, and partly cause I got lost coming out of Brixton. :-[

But mainly cause I was damn slow.  I enjoyed the ride, watching the layers of fog mingle on Tooting Bec, and getting frost on my hat (really!).  But it just took so long, and I had problems with the gears freezing again.  Oh - and I've been trying to pretend it's not so, but my hand does hurt.

I'll lay off until next year ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:19:39 am »
Confession:  I got a lift in by infernal combustification engine device :-[

My hand hurts and my thighs hurt.  I have some fettling to do on the trike, and it will wait until tomorrow.

I promise I will get back to it as soon as possible - maybe when it's not so cold that I lose gears one by one as I ride... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #35 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:23:13 am »
Oh don't feel guilty!!!  Gear malfunction can make anyone feel grumpy or unwilling to ride.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:26:37 am »
More human malfunction in this case... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #37 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:28:30 am »
Oh, I thought it was the hub freezing up?  You mean your left hand is too sore to change gear?  Shame dude, have a hug.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:32:28 am »
A combination of both.  When the hub even starts to get stiff, I can't turn the changer.  The rear mech froze up too last night. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #39 on: 31 December, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
remember , trikes are slower than bikes. if you try to go faster than the trike wants to go it does hurt . i still think you may have to fit a acera rear mech with the large bottom pulley to cope with the chain length . let my know if you do and i will pay for it  :) 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 31 December, 2008, 08:29:11 pm »
I'm going to change the chain tomorrow, and clean & lube the mech.  I'll report back after that :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Thought I should mention the theme tune (generally my theme tune ;) ) that I was singing on the way to work Tuesday.  This ain't the Willie Dixon version I prefer, which is a bit more of a boogie, but you get the gist...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMkKEf0SQQw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DMkKEf0SQQw&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #42 on: 01 January, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »
Thought I should mention the theme tune (generally my theme tune ;) ) that I was singing on the way to work Tuesday.  This ain't the Willie Dixon version I prefer, which is a bit more of a boogie, but you get the gist...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMkKEf0SQQw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DMkKEf0SQQw&rel=1</a>

I admire your taste in music Clarion it'd be a good 'bent theme tune  :D
I'm stuck in a '60's time warp; more Smokestack Lightning and Fattening Frogs for Snakes.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 02 January, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
OK.  I think we've reached the turning point.  After the fettling, I can get all the gears.  I also set the BB slightly too close for me, which helps.

It wasn't quite so cold when I set off at five past seven this morning, but everything mechanical was functioning, so I had a lot more confidence.  I wasn't fast, but half an hour into the journey saw me half way up the climb of Streatham Road.  Yes - I'd actually chosen to go over the hill!

Down Streatham Hill wasn't as fast as I'd hoped, but I got to spin out top gear on Brixton Hill.  Through Brixton before I knew it, and I heard a church clock strike eight as I waited at the lights by Oval Station. 

One hour from home, I was almost at Walworth Rd.  And I swept into an empty car park after just one hour and seven minutes riding.   

Much more the thing!

Now I think I can start calling myself a recumbent beginner ;D
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #44 on: 02 January, 2009, 09:04:51 am »
Excellent news, well done.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 02 January, 2009, 09:23:58 am »
It sounds like you're having fun Clarion.  I sold my Trice when I first moved to London, since I had nowhere to store it.  I wish I still had it, although by modern standards it's probably a bit heavy and not terribly well engineered.  Maybe I'll be able to afford a new one at some point, although it's less well suited to commuting than a two wheeler.

My Trice had a sort of underseat handlebar, although it stuck up at the sides with barcon changers on the ends, which worked really well.  you could easily steer it one handed, and I often did if I felt like resting a hand for a while.  Like the one you're using, the rear changer and front brake lever were on the right (iirc), so you rarely need to use the left controls.

They are a bit of a slog on a steep hill, but that's more than made up for by being able to hammer downhill as fast as you can, even when the conditions are a bit wet and/or icey.  I never managed to get my Trice to skid on snow, although I did try!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #46 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:25:10 am »
Hurrah. That sounds better :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:28:22 am »
It's twelve minutes longer than my upwrong ride to work, and I know the Streatham Hill/Brixton option is going to be horrid with more traffic (virtually no bus lane up Streatham Road :( ), but it'll do :thumbsup:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 02 January, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »
Just a thought:  Why are standard doors too narrow for trikes?  Ridiculous, I tell you!  I should be able to ride up a ramp straight into the hall (or the kitchen, though the right angle turn may take skillz beyond mine ;D )
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 02 January, 2009, 01:28:04 pm »
That's why you need a QNT :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.