Author Topic: I need an alternative place to put water bottle on Ice trike?  (Read 3130 times)

I need an alternative place to put water bottle on Ice trike?
« on: 09 September, 2013, 11:18:47 am »
I've got the boom really short, so short I can't get a water bottle out the cage.  I've put it for now so I pull the water bottle towards me rather than away but its still a bit awkward as its so close to the seat.

If I bought the accessory handlebar mount from Ice would I be able to fit one on there somehow?  If so could I fit a handlebar bag and water bottle on or would I need a bar either side?

Any other ideas where I can fit a bottle?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: I need an alternative place to put water bottle on Ice trike?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:38:02 am »
Depends what seat you have on it, as you say you have a handlebar mount I take it as a mesh one.
You could use jubilee clips and put a bottle cage anywhere on the seat frame that you could reach. I have a hard seat on mine and have drilled it to put a bottle on both sides.
Other options for a mesh seat could be behind your head on the back of the seat, attached like the saddle ones on TT bikes.
A bladder type drinks bag behind the seat or in a bag on the rack. I once had a tube that fit into a water bottle that I bungeed  to the frame behind the seat.

Rich

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »
Barakta has her boom quite short, to the point that it's possible but a bit fiddly to get a full-sized bottle in and out of the cage (she has to use her right hand, but slide the bottle to the left to clear the chainrings).  I keep thinking a side-entry bottle cage would work better.  ICE now do an accessory for mounting the cage in reverse, but tilted up at an angle so it's easier to get in and out.  I molished something similar by drilling and bending a piece of steel, but we weren't impressed - your mileage may vary.

Alternative options include clamp-on cages on the back of the seat, or the under-slung brackets molished by loadsabikes for Mrs Miggins of this parish (probably only sensible on one of the higher trikes, and preferably using bottles with covers to keep out the farm slurry).  I can't seem to find the thread with the photo...

My general preference is for a hydration bag solution on recumbents, though I tend to use a bottle for shorter rides because they're easier to clean, and live with the inconvenience of having to stop to reach the bottle on the Streetmachine.  The mouthpiece end of hydration hoses can be secured to a convenient place when not in use using rare-earth magnets and heatshrink so it doesn't dangle on the ground or get snagged in wheels or anything.  On a mesh seat the fixed magnet can be secured simply by positioning it between the frame and the mesh and re-tensioning.

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
I'm 5 foot tall so know what you mean, the boom on my adventure is really far in. Initially I used a cage that allowed me to pull the bottle out sideways - a revolution one from Edinburgh bikes. Now I've got the ICE water bottle riser which allows the bottle to be pulled towards you but clears the seat.

For additional bottles I either use a topeak fitting to attach a bottle to the seat bars at the rear - a more upmarket version of Rich's jubilee clips or slide a water bladder down between the seat Velcro straps and mesh, using my headrest to clip the bag to.

The topeak fitting would let you attach a bottle to the side bag mount too.  I got mine from chain reaction cycles.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:45:27 pm »
Thanks all, think ill have a look for the Topeak fitting.  I think with the Ice riser the water bottle would still be so near my crotch that I'd run the risk of catching it with the insides of my legs!  Don't really fancy a bladder if I can get away without one but will bear it in mind.  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »
Thanks all, think ill have a look for the Topeak fitting.  I think with the Ice riser the water bottle would still be so near my crotch that I'd run the risk of catching it with the insides of my legs!

That was my problem with our home-made riser.  Barakta has less sturdy thighs and had less trouble, but was still catching it when she got tired and her knee went wandering.  I suppose it works better for tall and/or skinny people.

Bladders are faff to clean, so work best with plain water.  If you're into potions, a bottle solution (perhaps with a hose) is probably better.

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
I use the top mesh pockets of my Radical side pods to keep a couple of water bottles in.
In my medium bags I can fit either 0.5 or 0.75 liter bottles.
I've only tried the 0.5 liter bottles in my small bags.

I also use a 1-3 liter Camelbak behind my hardshell seat for when I need more water/isotonic.

« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »
I have to use Kim's expression 'sturdy thighs' and I don't catch the bottle, I catch the chain tube sometimes with my calf muscle.  Tends to be 1 of those moments when you realise you've gone into a corner a bit too quick and then there's a bit of frantic repositioning going on to correct it, at which point catching the chain tube is the least of my worries  ;D

I'm using an adventure rather than a sprint but wouldn't have thought the dip in the cross beam would make that much difference - I could be wrong, I'm sure a sprint owner would know better than me.

If in doubt, drop ICE an email or give them a call, they must have thought about or heard of it if it's a problem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »
I'm using an adventure rather than a sprint but wouldn't have thought the dip in the cross beam would make that much difference - I could be wrong, I'm sure a sprint owner would know better than me.

I don't think it does, other than if you're going to mount drinking devices on the bottom edge of the seat, they're a few inches closer to the road muck.

« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »
Google for side entry bottle cage.   There are quite a few but some are eye-wateringly pricey.

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2013, 05:54:11 pm »
I've got this one (sorry, can't do those clicky link things)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-vario-alloy-bottle-cage?bct=browse%2faccessories%2ffood-bottles-cages-hydration-systems%2fwater-bottles-cages

The image is a bit crap as it doesn't show how you can position it, however it moves both left and right from the bolting point and is quite reasonably priced.  I've never checked how much Edinburgh bike charges for shipping so that might be the sting in the tail.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2013, 06:43:48 am »
I have one clipped to the seat back using ICE's own bottle holder. Not that easy to get at though while seated.

« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2013, 11:40:22 am »
The seat back mount works great for me on the Vortex, and saves leaning forward to extract the bottle.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2013, 11:00:46 pm »
look for Monkii cages, they are a clip in thingy that looks pretty useful.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2013, 09:03:20 am »

My general preference is for a hydration bag solution on recumbents, though I tend to use a bottle for shorter rides because they're easier to clean,

I get around the cleaning of bladders by storing mine in the freezer. Only an option if you stick with plain water, of course...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
Sorted this with the Topeak fitting recommended up thread.  Attached it to the back of the seat.  I can actually reach it when pedalling although I have to twist round a bit to get it, so probably not for when on a busy road! Thanks.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »
+1 for using a hydration pack bladder. Mrs B used to keep hers in a rack-top bag.