Author Topic: Waste of resources?  (Read 17533 times)

Re: Waste of resources?
« Reply #50 on: 19 December, 2009, 12:07:53 am »
What's the point of wasting the effort and materials making something functional look good?

Pointless

Exactly!!  That's why we all ride around on bikes painted the same functional colour !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #51 on: 19 December, 2009, 12:15:17 am »
No it wouldnt. The things that are functional would be better looking.
Your pie dish would be better looking. Bowls and plates better looking. Everything better.

And presumably you're the best judge of what is better looking?

This is where I get really patronising.

When you've been around a bit longer you will realise that not everybody necessarily shares your wonderful good taste and that they like and enjoy stuff you find hideous.

I can't believe I bothered to write that.

You are  taking the piss aren't you?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #52 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:55:47 am »

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #53 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:20:28 am »

Yes, but making pointless pots, are often done by rolling out clay, making slabs and joining those on a shaped base or something.
Not once, has someone used a wheel in my 3D lessons. They are also not foot powered i dont think.
So all that goes out the window. Unless, throwing clay on a table, wacking it with a rolling pin, rolling it out, cutting it and shaping it, does all that. WHICH i very much doubt.

Its enjoyable? To some.
Whats the problem? People make pointless pots and waste clay. Its simple.
How is this clay not wasted? Look at this

Its ugly, serves no purpose.

Making of slab pots and coil pots covers all those things except the use of the treadle. But you're still missing the point. For many people, the activity of actually making something is what has meaning and purpose for them, regardless of how other people perceive the quality of the end product. I make silver jewellery. Some of what I've made has been quite nice. Some of it has been horrendous disasters. The important thing for me is that I've done it anyway, I've enjoyed the process of trying it, and I've learned from what's gone wrong - although that's only a minor part of it. I just enjoy the process.

If you're going to say people shouldn't do things which produce ugly results which have no purpose, an awful lot of people are going to have to stop breeding.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #54 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:25:54 am »
Nicknack, im sorry pal, but your wrong.
Im sorry, just give up.
Pot making that will just be displayed and not used is pointless.
Im going to get a picture and put it up of some more work that i think is pointless. Its some clay done in a bended shape that goes along with patterns on. That wont make sence though.
Also, drawing? Why not just take a picture? Quicker, better looking, better quality. Better at everything really. So why draw?
Ok there are some occasions when drawing is good, but i got told to make a quick sketch of things, had 3 mins to do it. Why not just take a picture, and relax in those other mins you have spare?
Face it. This all makes sence really.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #55 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:31:28 am »
Nicknack, im sorry pal, but your wrong.
Im sorry, just give up.
Pot making that will just be displayed and not used is pointless.
Im going to get a picture and put it up of some more work that i think is pointless. Its some clay done in a bended shape that goes along with patterns on. That wont make sence though.
Also, drawing? Why not just take a picture? Quicker, better looking, better quality. Better at everything really. So why draw?
Ok there are some occasions when drawing is good, but i got told to make a quick sketch of things, had 3 mins to do it. Why not just take a picture, and relax in those other mins you have spare?
Face it. This all makes sence really.

All of that is opinion and not fact.

« Reply #56 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:09:10 am »
Its fact.
You just cant see it.
Sorry.
And no amount of telling me other wise will perusade me.
You need to take a look deep down, and try and see what it really is.
Sorry Kirst

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #57 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:26:53 am »
I think instead of teaching you pottery, your school would be better employed teaching you critical thinking and the difference between fact and opinion.

« Reply #58 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:37:55 am »
No that would be pointless aswell. I already know that ;)
I think you could be taught to relax more and take on whats said. Not everything you read or that you think you should think is fact.
Its people with a different thought pattern to other people that make the world better and different.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #59 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:40:06 am »
This thread in essence assumes a grasp of the meaning of the terms 'the point in' and conversely 'pointless', however:
Quite simply the point of a tea pot is to make tea with.
The point of a bowl is to eat out of.

The fact that it isn't as good as one you have bought from a shop and thus would prefer to use as it is perfect in shape and finish, isn't *its* fault.

Just imagine if you were living in the 15th century in a village of mudpackers, you have got no John Lewis to just nip out to and get a nice shiny new perfectly-finished white perfectly painted teapot - oh no. You would have to make your own out of clay.

1) You wouldn't have the luxury of a motorised turntable to make it out of, you'd probably have to use a dog on a treadmill or something.

2)You would also have to mine your own clay out, which is where the mudpackers come in.

You obviously don't value art for the sake of art[1]. So why, in the name of God, are you studying art? If this is VI Form, then presumably you have chosen to be sitting there artifying rather than doing something useful (like physics, for example).

[1] a view with which I have a great deal of sympathy
i beg to differ  ;) ::-)

John Henry

« Reply #60 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:42:47 am »
Its people with a different thought pattern to other people that make the world better and different.

This is exactly what I, Kirsty and nicknack are trying to argue.

Some people find purely decorative pottery beautiful, and that the act of making it or looking at it enriches their lives. Therefore it is not (for everyone) pointless. You appear to be arguing that this is not a valid point of view.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #61 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:46:18 am »

This I'd display... it's beautiful craftsmanship, but the skill of the craftsman and rarity of his work makes it too valuble for daily use.

I personally wouldn't use that either - but only 'cos I don't smoke  :-\ :-\
It looks quite nice but I think it would look even nicer the other way up?  :-\ i.e. maybe if it was convex rather than concave...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:04:33 am »
Dump the pottery and get some remedial English lessons.

Harsh, but would you rather have a better chance in the employment market than be able to discuss the merits of modelled mud on a cycling forum?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #63 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:09:53 am »
Ben, if i was at a place where i didnt have a maker of fancy pots, and needed a pot id make a pot. There would be a point to making that pot, because i needed one.
Some, and quite a few of the pots and other clay work ive seen is pointless. There is no point to it.
Same with sculptures just dumped in a field.
Whats the point in that? Whats the point in a sculpture? Gets made with loads of material and hard work. Transported with heavy machinary, which pollutes the world more, to get it to some field. Then it gets surrounded by loads of sheep and sheep shit.

Could be worse. Could be surrounded by cows. Another pointless thing.

So at least it has an animal with a use surrounding the pointless work

« Reply #64 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:12:41 am »
Jaded do you think theres no use to pottery aswell?
I do have more english lessons then what i do with 3D lessons, so its ok.
Hard to beleive i do English Language isnt it? Mon petite pois ;)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #65 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:15:33 am »
Ben, if i was at a place where i didnt have a maker of fancy pots, and needed a pot id make a pot. There would be a point to making that pot, because i needed one.
Some, and quite a few of the pots and other clay work ive seen is pointless. There is no point to it.
Same with sculptures just dumped in a field.
Whats the point in that? Whats the point in a sculpture? Gets made with loads of material and hard work. Transported with heavy machinary, which pollutes the world more, to get it to some field. Then it gets surrounded by loads of sheep and sheep shit.

Could be worse. Could be surrounded by cows. Another pointless thing.

So at least it has an animal with a use surrounding the pointless work

But what is the point of humans? 2 legged creatures running around the surface of the earth and exhausting its resources! Some of them even managed to dig the earth crust to get zillions years old resources such as oil to power overweight metallic machines. Pointless, let's get rid of them!!!
Chief cat entertainer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #66 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:21:29 am »
Hard to beleive i do English Language isnt it? Mon petite pois ;)

Not these days.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #67 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:27:13 am »
I dont think your really getting this.
If it wasnt for us humans anyway, then the world wouldnt be how it is.
Evolution has made us be like this. We have evolved.
Unfortunatly some of the things there were done for the good, invention of the engine, was good. But how that has evolved has been for the worse. It created heavy poluting cars.
It has evolved again now, with more economical cars. Cars doing alot more MPG creating alot less fumes.
What is rather dissapointing is how because ive said something is pointless, you are trying to tell me it isnt.
But it is.
However, ive never said it shouldnt be done. Its just pointless.
If these fancy pots stopped being made, the human race wouldnt be for the worse and we wouldnt stop evolving, would we?
If we stopped making utensels, like pie dishes or dishes to cook chickens in etc, then it would be a step back for the human race.

See

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #68 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:32:41 am »
Hard to beleive i do English Language isnt it?

Not at all.

You are doing it in pretty well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #69 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:40:51 am »
You could, of course, become rich and famous with your pots:

Grayson  Perry - Artwork - The Saatchi Gallery
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #70 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:59:19 am »

I read that as rich and famous with your posts.  ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #71 on: 19 December, 2009, 11:23:00 am »

Nah, I think Young Sir has got a point, making pots is just pointless.  What we want is proper art, like this http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/scotland/Smashing-Edinburgh--gallery-window.5923561.jp   ;D
Aero but not dynamic

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #72 on: 19 December, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
I think you are all being very horrible anyway.

1gear's lathe work is quite exceptional.

« Reply #73 on: 19 December, 2009, 11:40:04 am »
10 Pernod and Blacks - £20
2 tomato juices - £2
A bottle of Blue Curacao - £10

Stumbling in at 3am and spewing all over your mum's best ornament. Priceless.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #74 on: 19 December, 2009, 12:04:04 pm »
1gear,

I'll give you a fiver for it.

No, really, I will.

There - you've made money from it.

It now has a point.