Author Topic: John Radford  (Read 59094 times)

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
John Radford
« on: 01 August, 2013, 11:28:52 am »
I've just received the following email from Ken Roberts of Huddersfield CTC about John Radford, Huddersfield CTC president, former CTC West Yorkshire president and secretary, CTC National Councillor, and of course experienced audax rider and event organiser, whom a lot of you will know:

"I'm afraid that I have some bad news to pass on about John Radford. You probably know that he returned early from the LEL ride because of a recurrence of his hot foot problem. Anyway,he was struck by a car in New Mill yesterday afternoon and was air-lifted to Leeds hospital where he is in a critical condition with severe head injuries.

That is all the news I have at present. The family will update me with developments which I will have posted onto Huddersfield CTC website. This will save both yourselves and the family from distressing phone calls, so please watch our website.

I understand that both the car driver and passenger have been arrested, and there is a short summary in today's Huddersfield Examiner."

There is no further news yet at either the Huddersfield CTC website or facebook page, but a very short (and not as detailed) newspaper report is online at http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/cyclist-injured-accident-huddersfield-road-5390477

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: John Radford
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2013, 11:31:08 am »
My best wishes to John, his family and all his friends  :(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
Very best wishes to John, his family and friends.  I hope that the outcome is good.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
I do not know John personally but I am aware that he is a well known stalwart within the audax family.   This is clearly saddening news and I hope that makes a full recovery from what sounds like a horrible injury.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:20:40 pm »
I did speak to him once about one of his permanent rides.  I always had the impression that he was/is a hardened Audaxer especially as he attempted the LEL quite recently. 

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
Fingers crossed.

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:50:43 pm »
I do not know John personally but I am aware that he is a well known stalwart within the audax family.   This is clearly saddening news and I hope that makes a full recovery from what sounds like a horrible injury.

I'll repeat my best wishes from the original post and add that I've ridden with John many times and he is certainly experienced.  He organises Brimham Rocks 200 and the Easter Arrows among others.  He has done PBP and will almost certainly have done LEL previously.  He's also a thoroughly nice chap.

Get well soon, John

Peter

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2013, 03:02:40 pm »
John addressed the riders of the 2009 LEL the night before they left, singing Bernie Mawson's praises IIRC.
Lovely sentiments from a lovely chap.

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2013, 03:05:29 pm »
This is shocking news, John's a top guy and I have many happy memories of cycling on events with him, and sinking the odd drink at AUK AGMs

As posted earlier, He's also a thoroughly nice chap.

Get well soon John.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »
Get well soon John from the Essex Arrowists.

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2013, 07:15:34 pm »
Get well soon.  Had the pleasure of preparing and handing over John's LEL drop bags.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2013, 08:33:27 pm »
An update on John's condition, from Ken Roberts of Huddersfield CTC:

"John remains in intensive care at Leeds Infirmary. He has a blood clot on his brain but they are treating him with medication rather than operating at least at present. He is suffering from seizures and is consequently being heavily sedated.

We will post information as it arrives and many thanks for all your expressions of goodwill. I am in contact with the family and there is nothing else we can do at present."

Merseymaybe

« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2013, 08:34:38 pm »
Dick and I really hope he come's through ok. He's a lovely character.We'll be thinking of him.

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »
Thanks, C, fingers crossed.

« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »
Bless
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2013, 07:17:53 am »
GWS John
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2013, 07:37:18 am »
I only know John by name and reputation, but he will be in my thoughts and I hope that he is responding well to treatment and wish him all the best for his recovery.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:35:23 am »
Speedy recovery John.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark Beauchamp

• MILKTANKER
« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2013, 11:42:34 am »
I was very sad to hear of his awful accident. He has been in my thoughts ever since.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2013, 02:09:04 pm »
I've not met John personally but had dealings with him via e-mail earlier this year regarding the Easter Arrow. John was extremely helpful and came across as being a very nice man. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »
I only know John by name and reputation, but he will be in my thoughts and I hope that he is responding well to treatment and wish him all the best for his recovery.

+1

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #21 on: 02 August, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
Best wishes to John for a full and speedy recovery.

I rode a 400 with him in 2011 when he was coming back from his broken hip and I really appreciated his company on the grim second half of that ride.  Awful to think he's been so badly injured again.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:58:15 pm »
Hope he makes a full and successful recovery.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2013, 12:02:32 am »
I was sharing a hotel room with John at the start of LEL & was pulled to one side at a control to be given the news of his accident.  I've had the pleasure of his company on previous rides & the man is a true gent.

I'm hoping & praying that he makes a full recovery (preferably speedy) from this accident.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

vindec

• per ardua ad aqua
« Reply #24 on: 03 August, 2013, 07:05:17 am »
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery John.