Author Topic: [HAMR] 12th January - Steve day n+1 aka Teethgrinder 158  (Read 8229 times)

Re: 12th January - Steve day n+1 aka Teethgrinder 158
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:18:11 pm »
After 4 hours stopped.  Equals a loss of at least 90km

LMT

« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:31:35 pm »
By no means having a dig, but the saying 'Pride comes before fall' rings a bell here. :-\

Hope all goes well for the rest of the night.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:54:10 pm »
I suppose that's one disadvantage of disc brakes: they make it harder to source a spare wheel from somewhere. 

I'm concerned about this story of the chain needing to change at the same time as the wheel due to the transmission being shot.  If they have the money, why not change the transmission sooner?

« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:20:42 am »
I suppose that's one disadvantage of disc brakes: they make it harder to source a spare wheel from somewhere. 

I'm concerned about this story of the chain needing to change at the same time as the wheel due to the transmission being shot.  If they have the money, why not change the transmission sooner?
Because as my Bike Butler will tell you once you start cranking out the miles and my mileage is high by most people's standards but stupidly small compared to Steve's, bike maintainance becomes seriously high. I spread 19,000 miles over 6 machines last year and have caused serious wear to two that aren't on 11 spd race kit. 

« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2016, 07:30:50 am »
In the scale of things, it's a minor incident in a year long challenge, and Steve has had precious few of those (notwithstanding the moped incident).  Tubeless plus discs has served him well - I suspect he would have had far more lost-time incidents with tubes, and gone through many more rims/brake pads at awkward points had he not had discs.

The main issue for me is that he simply isn't getting the miles in in a sensible timeframe. Perhaps his physiology just isn't suited to it, who knows.

What is in no doubt is his mental fortitude - yesterday night was a foul one to be out cycling in anybody's book, but on he goes. Amazing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
<SNIP>Perhaps his physiology just isn't suited to it, who knows.

What is in no doubt is his mental fortitude - yesterday night was a foul one to be out cycling in anybody's book, but on he goes. Amazing.

Nobody should question Steve's determination.

It is a little unfair to suggest Steve's physiology is unsuited to riding fast enough. Steve has, on more than one occasion, ridden close to 450 miles unpaced within 24 hours (further than Tommy!). To do that required averaging at least 20 mph for many hours on end. The problem for this attempt is that Steve has not shown that sort of speed for over a year now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #31 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:11:56 am »
Because as my Bike Butler will tell you once you start cranking out the miles and my mileage is high by most people's standards but stupidly small compared to Steve's, bike maintainance becomes seriously high.

not really, I've found if you run everything together, it all wears the same, so if your not always changing out cassettes/chains/rings when checkers tell you they are worn then they go on for a long time, i recently changed from 10 speed SRAM Red to 11 Speed Dura Ace - the Red had done 14,000km on the same rings/cassette/chain/cables/bb30 bearings including through winter, barely maintained other than a wipe down and an oil for the chain

ok 14,000km in the scheme of things is 6 weeks riding for Steve, but I'm a believer that if you tinker too much you can cause yourself greater wear and increased cost

essentially though in steves position, considering you can get a complete Ultegra grouspet for sub 400 and 105 for sub 300, id just be replacing the lot once a month, with 3 bikes in circulation, it should be easy enough to always have a "new" bike ready to go, although of course it being 100+ miles away yesterday didn't help, it does throw up the question of shorter more repetitive local loops so he's never far from help, either that or have the 3 bikes all ready to go strategically placed in high mileage areas

« Reply #32 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:36:29 am »
A one-off after 13 months and 70,000 miles of riding!  By any measure the equipment is working well from a reliability point of view and so not worth changing maintenance procedures or storing bikes up-country.

Glad Steve didn't do a Light Brigade style all-nighter and wipe himself out for the next day. I'm sure that was the adrenaline talking but back on the bike, he thought better of it

« Reply #33 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:45:36 am »
...of course it being 100+ miles away yesterday didn't help, it does throw up the question of shorter more repetitive local loops so he's never far from help...
  ;D What a brilliant idea!  It's amazing that no-one's ever suggested anything like that before!  ;)

« Reply #34 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:53:54 am »

;D What a brilliant idea!  It's amazing that no-one's ever suggested anything like that before! 
[/quote]

;D

« Reply #35 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:16:58 am »
...of course it being 100+ miles away yesterday didn't help, it does throw up the question of shorter more repetitive local loops so he's never far from help...
  ;D What a brilliant idea!  It's amazing that no-one's ever suggested anything like that before!  ;)

That could be the reason why the LeMans 24hr motor race goes round a loop of tarmac.

Now if it was the Paris-Dakar, there's a half dozen support trucks ahead of the competitor, full of spare parts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:35:29 am »
On a short circuit it is much, much easier to make the spectators pay to get in.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:45:58 am »
As of yesterday (11th) he was almost 100 miles down on January plan, requiring 210 days for the rest of the month, so this incident won't help meet the monthly target.

Adding days to the month - a brilliant plan!  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:47:24 am »
On a short circuit it is much, much easier to make the spectators pay to get in.
Short circuits need fewer TV cameras too
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:59:47 am »
Short circuits need fewer TV cameras too

Short circuits need electricians.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
I was going to put Closed Circuits but thought with TV that might cause confusion.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:52:19 am »

[/quote]

Adding days to the month - a brilliant plan!  ;)
[/quote]

I remember when January had 59 days one year  (a very harsh month it was ) for the purposes of RRTY

« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:50:15 am »
Not sure whether I'm detecting some schadenfreude in this thread...  ??? Did I hear someone volunteering to hire a campervan and follow Steve around 24/7/365?  ;)

If he was having trouble getting the wheel seated in the dropout (most likely cause of disc rub) then gears and/or rim brakes might have misbehaved also. I think a bike swap was the right call.

Although I think things are hanging in the balance, and suspect his best chance isa period of recuperation and a restart ("3rd time lucky" perhaps?) I still wish Steve all the best with this attempt.  :thumbsup: