Author Topic: John Radford  (Read 59092 times)

Re: John Radford
« Reply #125 on: 30 November, 2013, 09:56:20 pm »
Thanks for the update Rachel. John's continuing to make progress, which is good news.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #126 on: 18 December, 2013, 09:59:42 am »
On BBC Look North Yorkshire, last night, a news item about John, featuring Martyn Bolt and one of John's daughters, about 13:31 in at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lmtyb/Look_North_%28Yorkshire%29_17_12_2013/

This probably won't be available for very long.

« Reply #127 on: 18 December, 2013, 10:34:42 am »
On BBC Look North Yorkshire, last night, a news item about John, featuring Martyn Bolt and one of John's daughters, about 13:31 in at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lmtyb/Look_North_%28Yorkshire%29_17_12_2013/

This probably won't be available for very long.

Piece starts at 13.36.

« Reply #128 on: 18 December, 2013, 11:17:13 am »
Martin is a top man and campaigner, however I'm not quite sure exactly what he was intending the message of the piece to be - and I'm aware he won't have been responsible for the editing.  John's incident is the subject of a police investigation, so unless this is a very oblique call for tougher sentences, it's a bit difficult to see where "more cyclists on the road will lead to more incidents" gets us.  I thought the thinking was that the reverse would be the case.  I also didn't like the presenter's mention of "the dangers of cycling"

All the best, John and your long-suffering family.

Peter

« Reply #129 on: 18 December, 2013, 11:41:29 am »
The main bits I got out of the piece were the human cost, especially poignant at Christmas, and that motorists should allow for cyclists avoiding potholes. It's inevitable that every cycling story in Yorkshire will have a Tour de France angle. A lot of effort would have gone into producing that one piece. It had interviews with Martyn and with John's family, POV footage, archive of the protest rally and some of John on PBP 2007. It's some consolation to see that degree of effort going into a story which could easily sink into the background.

« Reply #130 on: 18 December, 2013, 11:56:48 am »
Certainly, D.  Generally it's good to see so much effort being devoted to a piece on cycling, and there's no question of my missing the human cost of John's tragedy, which I'm sure you weren't implying.  Didn't see anything about potholes, though.  I'll have to watch again.

Peter

« Reply #131 on: 18 December, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
I saw that piece last night and it seemed very disjointed. Interestingly the intro about John stated that he was" hit by a car", not the usual "collided with".
Martyn Bolt seemed to be struggling with the message that drivers have a duty of care to all road users and especially to cyclists and pedestrians. More cyclists equals more opportunities for accidents was the message that I got.
Could have done with a bit of added gravitas from a uniformed traffic policeman or something similar IMHO.

Although the Look North team were sympathetic , I think that the BBC is actually anti cycling generally,  they always seem to accentuate the dangers and rarely highlight the positive aspects.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #132 on: 18 December, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »
We are still thinking of you John - and hoping that you will get well soon.  Hoping you'll be home for Christmas or as soon after as possible.  All the best.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #133 on: 25 December, 2013, 09:08:29 am »
Our thoughts are with you John, and with your family this Christmas. Get well soon.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

paul851

« Reply #134 on: 25 December, 2013, 09:29:57 am »
Merry Christmas John , remember one control at a time and hopefully see home soon .

Paul

mikewigley

« Reply #135 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:55:12 am »
I called on Pat (John's wife) yesterday with the Christmas card signed by the Winter Solstice riders.  John was on last year's running of the event, and he also took part in the May rerun.  I assured her we still remember and miss riding with him.

« Reply #136 on: 25 December, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »
Merry Christmas John and family, hope that 2014 brings a change in fortune for the better
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #137 on: 25 December, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »
Thinking of John and his family & friends this Christmas time. Here's to a bright 2014.

« Reply #138 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:35:50 pm »
I had a chat with some members of Huddersfield CTC today while out he Winter Xmas Pud Burner Audax that John used to organise.  They visit him weekly in Leeds and said that there's not been much improvement in the past month.  He's due to be moved to Chapel Allerton Hospital in the next week or so for rehabilitation.

The circumstances of the collision are not fully known though there are lots of rumours circulating regarding the culpability of the motorist. The facts will become clear when the case comes to court.

It was a strange day today.  I was expecting John to be present.  Hs absence was felt.

« Reply #139 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:38:25 pm »
Thanks, Vernon.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #140 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »
Yes thanks for the update, let's hope the move & rehab goes well for John.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #141 on: 06 January, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »

« Reply #142 on: 06 January, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
 “Dad is now waiting for a rehab bed which means more therapy."

I hope and pray the therapy works and John makes further progress.

"Two men arrested over a collision which left a cyclist seriously injured remain on bail."

I also hope that justice is done.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #143 on: 14 February, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/daughters-injured-meltham-cyclist-hand-6709542

John is awake but unresponsive in hospital and is not aware of what is going on around him.
:(

Police arrested two men over the New Mill accident. One was released without charge while the other, a 22-year-old driver, remains on bail as investigations continue.

Good luck John
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #145 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:55:00 pm »
I cannot understand how Gledhill has continued to get 'Unconditional bail'.  With the seriousness of the charges he faces, surely he should have been remanded in custody/prison.

Does the unconditional bail mean that he is still at liberty to drive?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #146 on: 25 February, 2014, 01:01:04 pm »
I cannot understand how Gledhill has continued to get 'Unconditional bail'.  With the seriousness of the charges he faces, surely he should have been remanded in custody/prison.

Does the unconditional bail mean that he is still at liberty to drive?

Yup, unconditional means just that, no conditions were set (like must report X times/week, cannot approach family, can't drive etc etc)

The one beacon of light is that the case has been sent to Crown Court, obviously the judge at the Mags thought it was serious enough to warrant a prison sentence, otherwise he would have dealt with it there and then.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #147 on: 25 February, 2014, 05:30:49 pm »
Greater legal minds than I will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the mags started with a presumption of bail unless there was a demonstrable risk of him absconding.

« Reply #148 on: 26 February, 2014, 12:15:18 am »
Exactly. I'm not a legal mind at all but innocent until proven guilty plus lack of flight risk is unlikely to see anything but unconditional bail.

In terms of other conditions, I'd be interested to see the stats on how likely someone currently on bail for a driving related incident is more or less likely to be involved in a subsequent incident. If the stats say no then there's no justification for imposing a bail condition to say they shouldn't drive.

Remember that no amount of "justice" can undo what has been done to John and his family.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #149 on: 13 March, 2014, 02:14:36 am »
Sadly it is quite typical that drivers who kill and maim other road users to go almost totally unpunished.  A small fine and a few points on the licence, rarely a driving ban, never a long one.  This is why RoadPeace was set up in 1992 by a bereaved mother, and is my chosen charity for my upcoming world cruise.