Author Topic: Derek Shackles  (Read 2089 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Derek Shackles
« on: 09 January, 2019, 08:19:51 pm »
I am sad to pass on the news that Derek Shackles of Roman Road Cycles, Ffarmers has died.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: Derek Shackles
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I met him back in the 1980's, when I was riding one of the first mountain bikes back from the York Rally.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »
I knew he shut down Roman Road Cycles last year but it is still a shock to hear he has died. His upright trikes and trike conversions employed the less-common (for sporting machines) two wheels front/ one rear wheel arrangement.
http://www.roman-road.co.uk
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:24:03 pm »
Derek's wife, Margaret died about a year ago.
Austin has sold Ffarmers.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2019, 12:47:51 pm »
I got to know Derek in the late 1980s/early 1990s as he was a regular on Swansea CTC runs. At the time he was developing his two-front-one-rear trike conversions. The first time he turned up he was on an otherwise normal Dawes Galaxy (I think) which had a square thing attached to the frame just forward of the bottom bracket - some sort of socket. When I asked him what it was, he answered rather coyly that it was a little experiment he was trying.  Most weeks we saw successive iterations of his 'experiment'. I believe in the early days Harry Quinn (by then semi-retired in Pembrokeshire) had a hand in making the 'front bit'  (essentially a replacement for the fork). See Trike Conversions for a picture.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:33:22 pm »
I'm trying to remember what I bought from him. Something obscure but useful, IIRC, long ago. Helpful & friendly service, I think.

RIP.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897