Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106901 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Downhilling on a Disabled E-Mountain Bike Tandem - Madness ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoeq45G6ec
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

The “never in a million years” thread seems to have been merged into here!

Downhilling an a Disabled E-Mountain Bike Tandem - Madness ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoeq45G6ec

Goes along with the latest Danny Macaskill - "Danny Day Care"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0CmnxuTaQ

Tricks with a child trailer

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The much-anticipated Silly Oak to Mordor A38 cycleway is officially opening today.

As the cones have been removed the first untaxed Audi has parked in it.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
For anyone in Radio Suffolkland, (or, presumably, the internet), there should be a slot on Monday 17th evening (some time between 7 and 10pm) when I will be talking about Audax.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Looks like Wendy (not here for 3+ years) has taken his vigilante-ism to the next level. Looking at his YouTube vids he appears to station himself waiting for people to carry out that dodgy right turn. The years don't appear to have mellowed him (although in my experience he is a really nice chap - apart from this crusading).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I dunno. He seemed perfectly mellow on there.  I don't think I'd have the courage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Looks like Wendy (not here for 3+ years) has taken his vigilante-ism to the next level. Looking at his YouTube vids he appears to station himself waiting for people to carry out that dodgy right turn. The years don't appear to have mellowed him (although in my experience he is a really nice chap - apart from this crusading).

Good for him. It isn't a dodgy right turn, it's motorists deciding that their ghastly little rat run is more valuable than the humans coming around the bend and driving down the wrong side of the road around a blind corner. He isn't a 'vigilante', he isn't shooting people or illegally kidnapping them, he's reporting them to the fuzz which is eminently the right thing to do.

His 'crusading' in part comes from his own dad having been killed by a drunken motorist.

If I see him when I'm doing laps I'll buy him a coffee.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
He's just Facebooked he'll be on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine next Friday.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Never met him so can't comment on vigilantism etc but just pointing out, in case it needed it, that "Cycling Mikey" and "Bikey Mikey" are two separate people!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Which is why I used Wendy.

And, standing on a corner waiting for miscreants is vigilant action in anyone book.

By the bye, much as I personally don't care for using cameras, Wendy has always been an exemplar of how to do it properly

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, you used Wendy, but he's Cycling Mikey on road.cc.

As for the vigilantism, crusading, neighbourhood watch or whatever you want to call it, one of my initial thoughts was that he/people do it in part because there are few police nowadays – but having watched the video, the cops turn up almost instantly.

Cudzoziemiec

I didn't know holding on to a moving vehicle was called skitching.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/illegal-back-future-phenomenon-hits-2995811

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Best example of that I ever saw was a chap dressed as a posh waiter, holding a laden tray in the approved shoulder-height-stylee, on rollerblades and hanging onto the fuel filler cap of an FX4 taxi on Shaftesbury Avenue.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

What does this photo depict? A sportive? Charity ride? Tour of Britain perhaps? Yes, probably. Certainly they all look slick and sleek. But according to the Bristol Post it's an Extinction Rebellion mass ride. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/traffic-cyclists-bristol-extinction-rebellion-2999411 Somehow I don't expect the actual event to look quite the same.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Over on the @EEVBlog twitter feed, they've been celebrating bad-stock-photos-of-people-using-multimeters.  While the average advertising model has a slightly better idea of how to use a bike than a soldering iron, it occurs to me that we could have a thread for least appropriate choice of cycling stock photos...  I'm reminded of We are Cycling UK using a picture of a mountain biker getting air on the trails to illustrate a piece about e-bikes.

While lycra-brigade photos to illustrate articles about cycle infrastructure etc. are relatively common, bonus points will be awarded for use of photos of everyday cyclists to illustrate events aimed firmly at sport cyclists.

Cudzoziemiec

Once you've started it, we shall feed it.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

What does this photo depict? A sportive? Charity ride? Tour of Britain perhaps? Yes, probably. Certainly they all look slick and sleek. But according to the Bristol Post it's an Extinction Rebellion mass ride. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/traffic-cyclists-bristol-extinction-rebellion-2999411 Somehow I don't expect the actual event to look quite the same.
Without intending to, I saw the XR ride. I'd say there were 30-40 riders and they were, perhaps surprisingly, about 50% road bikes. The rest were hybrids, mtbs, one or two cargo bikes. But no lycra. And lots of flags.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Interesting piece about Oskar Svendsen and his astonishingly high VO2max:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2398524/highest-ever-vo2max-cyclist-oskar-svendsen
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This morning, whilst I was parking my bike at the Sheffield stands at Southend hospital (do they have Southend stands at Sheffield hospital, I wonder?) some chap turned up on a very attractive green Francis Barnett electric bike. I was quite surprised to see that name on a relatively modern bike. I occasionally used to ride a Francis Barnett 250cc motor bike in my youth. That would probably have been manufactured about 70 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Wheeled the bike through the "garden" and noticed the front tyre was soft. Didn't want to unlock the house, so used the pump on the bike. This has a hose with a screw-on adapter. Pump, pump, nice firm 60 (wide tyres), unscrew the hose... and the valve core came out with it. So I went in to get the track pump and a pair of pliers. I thought about getting a pump with a thumblock thingy to replace that one, but instead it seems more sensible to replace the tweezers in that bike's tool kit (there for taking thorns out of deep-treaded tyres) with a pair of pointy nosed pliers which will serve both tasks.

bludger

My front disc brake (mechanical) isn't biting as hard as I'd like, I think it is owed to a small rotor imbalance but could it also be old cables? I've had the bike since November and have done about 5000 km on it. I appreciate this isn't a precise science but since a chain (I'm told) is good for about 4000 might it be worth thinking about swapping them out? Or is it a 'run it till it's bust' sort of affair?

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My front disc brake (mechanical) isn't biting as hard as I'd like, I think it is owed to a small rotor imbalance but could it also be old cables? I've had the bike since November and have done about 5000 km on it. I appreciate this isn't a precise science but since a chain (I'm told) is good for about 4000 might it be worth thinking about swapping them out? Or is it a 'run it till it's bust' sort of affair?

Usual failure mode of cables is that they fray and snap, or they gum up with corrosion and become stiff.  The latter is greatly exacerbated if the inner isn't proper stainless steel, or if the outer forms a loop where water can accumulate (eg. on folding bikes and USS recumbents).

Gears are, for obvious reasons, much more sensitive to cable problems than brakes.  I'd usually expect them to show signs of needing replacing first (assuming all were fitted at the same time).  On the other hand, it's certainly worth trying if you've adjusted the brakes and are reasonably sure it's not pad contamination.  I've had similar symptoms on BB7s with gunked up cables.

bludger

Cheers I think I have resolved it - the metal spring thing that holds the pads apart seemed to have been warped somehow. Bent it around a bit and now all working kosher.

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Spotted my first pavement cyclist eschewing the new A38 cycleway yesterday.  I've seen a couple using the road, presumably because they intended to make turns that the cycle route makes difficult, but I'm not sure why anyone would choose the footway over the actually decent bit of cycle infra   ???