Author Topic: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG  (Read 162237 times)

Re: And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2013, 09:31:14 am »
Especially as the UK couldn't handle a Yank level blizzard. ;)

While yesterday's papers were talking about disruptions due to a few inches of snow, across the pond the weekend's snowfall was being measured in feet.  And life carried on.
Really?  They didn't have airports closed and state-wide bans on non-essential journeys?  Power out for 10s of thousands of people?

Oh, wait, they did.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 12 February, 2013, 09:44:50 am »
Especially as the UK couldn't handle a Yank level blizzard. ;)

While yesterday's papers were talking about disruptions due to a few inches of snow, across the pond the weekend's snowfall was being measured in feet.  And life carried on.
Really?  They didn't have airports closed and state-wide bans on non-essential journeys?  Power out for 10s of thousands of people?

Oh, wait, they did.

Yes, they had those things, but they tend not to treat it like the end of the world.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 12 February, 2013, 10:17:19 am »
Sorry Andrij if I came across as a bit narky. I'm short of sleep and get a bit fed up of people talking about the UK as if we were all wimps (well, that's partly true) and everyone else just carries on.

Friends who are in the US atm are not enjoying the weather and you'd think it was close to the end of the world going by what they say.

The news channels certainly made it sound like the end of the world over there. The US news channels.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2013, 10:36:20 am »
Many years ago I was spending Christmas at the in-laws in Germany.  Bad weather was forecast, and much piss was extracted about the BRITISH inability to cope with a few inches of SNO.  Imagine my joy when, on Christmas Eve, I espied on the anbaric television a motorway clogged with SNO-boundtraffic in both directions, as far as the camera could see.

No, not the M11 but rather the A9 between Munich and Nuremberg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »
Old man retires... BONG!

Old man retires and is discussed over 16 pages in POBI. Bong!

« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »
Old man retires... BONG!
Posted 20 hours after this not-news was first mentioned in this thread.  :P

Old man retires... BONG!

I'm glad I've not been there for a long time. 85 year old German retires. Committee will appoint a replacement, as usual. Yaawwwnn. 16 pages?  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
Old man retires... BONG!

Old man retires... BONG!

I'm glad I've not been there for a long time. 85 year old German retires. Committee will appoint a replacement, as usual. Yaawwwnn. 16 pages?  :facepalm:

Oh come on, anyone who has been in ACF/yACF for long enough should know by now that if there is one thing the P&OBI Orthodox Faith enjoys more than execrating the Tories, it's bashing the bishops*...  :demon: ;) :demon:

*... cardinals, pontiffs, imams, ayatollahs...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »
Old man retires... BONG!

Old man retires... BONG!

18 now...

« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
Old man retires... BONG!

Old man retires... BONG!

18 now...

I gave up on page 12. Goodness knows why I stuck it out that long, since all everyone seems to be doing is saying the same thing over and over again.  :facepalm:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #34 on: 12 February, 2013, 05:45:08 pm »
Many years ago I was spending Christmas at the in-laws in Germany.  Bad weather was forecast, and much piss was extracted about the BRITISH inability to cope with a few inches of SNO.  Imagine my joy when, on Christmas Eve, I espied on the anbaric television a motorway clogged with SNO-boundtraffic in both directions, as far as the camera could see.

Wie sagt man "Schadenfreude" auf Deutsch? ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #35 on: 12 February, 2013, 05:54:28 pm »

Wie sagt man "Schadenfreude" auf Deutsch? ;D

;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »
From passing all the newspapers this morning - politician lies!

The real story should be 'Politicial admits lying'.   Pretty f***ing rare that.

Am I the only one who believes that 8 months is waaaaaaay too lenient.   These are were prominent and 'powerful' people with influence in high places.   The bar should be set extremely high for them IMO to help reinforce the deterrent factor.   

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 12 March, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »
I think it's about correct.

They'll serve only 3-4 months but the prison sentence is the least of their worries I think.

It will however give them 3-4 months to reflect that their wrecked careers and personal lives (including a total family breakdown) was all in exchange for a possible driving ban.

Even worse for her...she wasn't even going to get any points on her license.

Question....will he get a driving ban as well?  The ultimate irony.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #38 on: 12 March, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »
They're only likely to serve 2 months in prison, 2 months home curfew, and the rest free.

I'd make them clean public bogs for 8 months.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #39 on: 12 March, 2013, 07:46:07 pm »
I heard an estimate of five weeks on the toady program on R4 this morning.  After that home cerfew with or without tags.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #40 on: 12 March, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
Sorry Andrij if I came across as a bit narky. I'm short of sleep and get a bit fed up of people talking about the UK as if we were all wimps (well, that's partly true) and everyone else just carries on.

Friends who are in the US atm are not enjoying the weather and you'd think it was close to the end of the world going by what they say.

The news channels certainly made it sound like the end of the world over there. The US news channels.

Plus everyone always goes on about Svandinavian countries, for examples, coping much better even though they get way more snow but don't they also spend a lot more money on equipment and facilities to deal with it?

Equipment that would spend most of it's time not being much use and ultimately cost more to buy and run than the 'loss to the economy' of the occasional day or two of people not making it to work.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LEE

Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Reply #41 on: 14 March, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »
Bong!....The price of tickets for the British F1 Grand Prix are neither the most expensive or cheapest...Bong!

BBC headline story today.......British GP among most expensive

The British Grand Prix's cheapest race-day ticket is among the most expensive of its type on the Formula 1 calendar.
The 2013 season starts on Sunday in Melbourne, Australia - where the cheapest ticket costs £66, compared to £145 for Silverstone.
Only races in Brazil and Abu Dhabi are more expensive than Britain, while Malaysia is cheapest at £13.

Of course that £13 ticket to the Malaysian Grand Prix starts to look less of a bargain when you add on the £1200 air fare, hotels, meals, car rental and so on.

Probably best to stick to the Silverstone GP then you can be home in time for tea.

What headline next?

"Britain has the 8th biggest pet cats in Europe"?

"Britain's canals are narrower than French ones but wider that Indonesian ones" ?

Sheesh, the excitement of expectation is killing me.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #42 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
What headline next?

Pets at risk from 'obesity time bomb'

« Reply #43 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:43:51 am »
Cameron sides with the press in Leveson aftermath. Quelle surprise!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:18:50 am »
Probably best to stick to the Silverstone GP then you can be home in time for tea.

It may have improved in recent years but the last time I went to the British GP weekend - and that was just for qualifying  - it took three hours just to get out of the car park.  Only Monsters Of Rock has seen bigger queueueueues.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

« Reply #45 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:20:14 am »
What headline next?

Pets at risk from 'obesity time bomb'

:facepalm:

BBC strike again - "Pet Shop Boys leave Parlophone to sign to new label"

The veteran chart-toppers, whose hits include West End Girls and It's A Sin, will release a new album through Kobalt Music Services in June.

Dear BBC, "The Pet Shop Boys die in Plane Crash" & "The Pet Shop Boys die in drug-fuelled party" is news.

The Pet Shop Boys signing to a different label is even less newsworthy than a looming crisis for obese pets.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:21:00 am »

Another Tory caught fibbing.  Again... BONG!!!
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #47 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:26:22 am »

......BONG!

(try to adhere to protocol)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #48 on: 15 March, 2013, 11:22:40 am »
P&OBI dragged into the other parts of the forum...

...BONG.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LEE

« Reply #49 on: 15 March, 2013, 11:26:38 am »
Five mile queue after M4 death crash....BONG!

Dear BBC.

Please take a long, hard, look at your priorities.

The actual news item here is THE DEATH OF A PERSON and NOT THE QUEUE