Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952867 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6425 on: 03 June, 2016, 09:50:58 am »
"Alice: through the looking glass" with the kids, yesterday. OK, actually. Kids enjoyed to too.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6426 on: 03 June, 2016, 04:09:51 pm »
The people who create things are always the worst editors. That includes film directors. Even if it's good and worthwhile, sometimes it deserves to be cut and benefits from the knife.

Tarantino is a prime example of this. Several of his films, the majority actually, suffer from chronic "bloat".

He needs to hand over to an experienced Editor.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrew

« Reply #6427 on: 03 June, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
PLEASE don't start theTarantino debate  :facepalm:

;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6428 on: 04 June, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
Going back to Captain America for a minute, surely his costume, with its cute, close-fitting helmet that stretches so tightly over his perfectly American features, is one of the earliest media representations of a gimp suit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6429 on: 04 June, 2016, 12:54:09 pm »
Election

Even funnier than I remember it. Reese Witherspoon is brilliant. Matthew Broderick is briliant. Alexander Payne is a genius.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #6430 on: 04 June, 2016, 10:46:40 pm »
Road to Roubaix, a documentary about Paris Roubaix, centering on he 2007 edition. Quite an atmospheric effort apart from Lance Armstrong waxing lyrical and being sad about how he never played.

ian

« Reply #6431 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:02:25 am »
I did attempt to watch The Hateful Eight on the plane. Failed. Partly I findly the entire Tarantino schtick a bit old and indulgent now and, as said, it needs to be edited. In a few more years he'll be making movies that last the entirety of a long haul flight. We'll have to make planes that fly to the moon just to air his movies on the seat back. Plus, I'm getting old and soft and find the level of violence a bit discomforting. I tuned out and watched Take Shelter instead, one of those movies I'd never heard of, but quite enjoyable. The sort of movie that Sixth Sense guy used to make before he hired a biplane and used it to fly over sharks.

Not a movie, but my topic fidelity is traditionally lacking and I can't be bothered starting a things you've watched on planes thread (which would just be the edifying spectacle of me writing for myself), but I finally finished off Fear the Walking Dead and yup, it turned into stupid people soap opera with zombies. I was hoping they'd slow it down and explore the outbreak but it's run headlong into the usual territory. I'll skip season 2. I also watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend which sounded awful (and I'm still suffering flashbacks from my 37 second exposure to Catherine Tate's Nan) but was actually quite amusing, though I confess I fell in love with lead actress. I'm also worried that I've really started to like musical comedy. I blame my wife for the exposure. I found the words 'shall we book something on Broadway' dripping out of mouth the other week when my wife was holiday planning. I saw her smile, the one that said my work here is done.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6432 on: 05 June, 2016, 03:22:51 pm »
I first saw A Fish called Wanda on a plane in the 80s.  There was something wondrous about a entire 747-ful exploding with laughter when John Cleese said "Fuck off, pigs".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #6433 on: 05 June, 2016, 04:24:27 pm »
I'm going to see Woody Allen's Cafe Society tomorrow night.  I expect I've seen it before.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6434 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:28:04 pm »
X-Men Apocolypse: 144 minutes. Just say no, directors.

Just got back from seeing this.

I was so bored.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6435 on: 06 June, 2016, 08:17:03 am »
Network, 1976. Faye Dunaway, William Holden and Peter Finch. Oh, and Robert Napalm-in-the-Morning Duvall, who was already mostly bald.

Really, really good.

Andrew

« Reply #6436 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:01:01 am »
I'm going to see Woody Allen's Cafe Society tomorrow night.  I expect I've seen it before.

I was right. I had seen it before. Jesse Eisenberg got to deliver Woody's lines this time and, in fairness, he did a good job. It's a pleasant enough film; stylish, well shot, ably acted and not without a charm- and, of course, some amusing self-deprecating lines. But it falls a long way short of being a great film, or even the best Allen movie.

On the plus side, when I got home Repulsion was on (there's a Roman Polanski season on one of the channels). From Allen's amusing sexual angst to seriously deranged sexual obsession/disgust. Catherine Deneuve is simply brilliant and carries the film, acting with her eyes and past an otherwise blank expression (take note Kristen Stewart; whose 'less is more' style in Cafe Society shows that 'less' is sometimes only that). Deneuve goes from angst to full throttle whack job before your eyes. A very disturbing, and utterly brilliant, movie imho.

« Reply #6437 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:26:58 am »
The Accidental Death of a Cyclist.  A film documentary about Marco Pantani whom we all remember as the Pirate.

Disregarding a tendency to exonerate Pantani from his own actions it was a good insight into the murky world (of 1990s pro cycling) he entered and the reasons why doping must be eliminated from the sport.  The death of the cyclist maybe referred to the fact that Pantani would have been a great rider to have around if there had not been doping.  Whilst Armstrong is a villain, Pantani was just another sad fool especially with the example of Tom Simpson to look back on.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6438 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:03:22 pm »
Kill List. Ben Wheatley must have had a lot of fun. Model of clarity beside A Field in England.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6439 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:03:47 pm »
Well seeing as I have a deep cultural connection with and love of the genre of Gangsta Rap (er not.  :-D )  but I had a mate long ago who with great relish told me all about the group N.W.A their criminal records and their song 'Fuck da Police'  I felt I had to watch 'Straight outta Compton' this weekend.

Really really good film as it happens.  Excellent in fact.  I suppose Ice Cube has form with Boyz 'n the Hood as an actor although he was just a producer of this.  Of course I've since found out that they reformed in 2015 so this wouldn't have been a coincidence.  Nevertheless, as I said, really good stuff.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6440 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:12:43 am »
From Dusk till Dawn. Quite.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6441 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

I was right. I had seen it before. Jesse Eisenberg got to deliver Woody's lines this time and, in fairness, he did a good job.

Coincidentally I saw Eisenberg on "The Last Leg" at the weekend and commented that he's be perfect to play Woody Allen in a Biopic.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6442 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »
Deadpool

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will hate it, but I like the utterly irrelevant stupidity of him repeatedly breaking the fourth wall.  It's a fairly violent film, and links into both the X-Men and Avenger universes, which is kind of odd since the rights are owned by different film studios (20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios respectively, I think).
Actually, it is rocket science.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6443 on: 20 June, 2016, 07:40:08 pm »
I think that's not quite accurate.  Fox certainly own something but from what I read a while back, Marvel got around this (after nearly going bust as Fox gave them a pittance in the initial contract) by looking at their massive range of characters and realising they could just use their other characters.  Perhaps they have both moved on to a more sensible situation these days...?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6444 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:08:01 pm »
Yes, I also vaguely recall reading something about how they had come to an agreement about using some elements of each others characters, but in a limited fashion.  They only have two lesser known X-Men (well, one is a woman) in this film, and at one point Deadpool does make a sarcastic comment about that, so it may well reflect a limitation of what they can do with Fox's characters.
Actually, it is rocket science.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6445 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:25:05 am »
The Motorcycle Diaries, the story of Ernesto Guevara's trip round South America with his cousin, back before he became Ché. Excellent.

Andrew

« Reply #6446 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:10:23 am »
Speaking of motorcycle films, I saw the tail end of The World's Fastest Indian yesterday. It sufficiently interested me to flag it as one to watch in the future. I was impressed with Hopkin's accent.

The Southland accent is not your typical (i.e. as most people might know it) Kiwi accent. Most people think of the Kiwi accent as being a bit like the Australian one but it is different - and very different the further south you go. A lot of Scots made their home in Southland and so the accent is influenced by that - notably the rolling R sound - yet it also has some of the distinctive Kiwi vowel sounds. For me, cool to listen to!

« Reply #6447 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:25:23 am »
Machette 2 - when i woke up in the middle of the night. That was quite odd ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6448 on: 22 June, 2016, 02:57:54 pm »
The Armstrong Lie.

Very good and convincing picture of our local monster. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6449 on: 22 June, 2016, 05:46:15 pm »
1911.  Mistake. The Chinese revolution from beginning to end in 2 hours, with history captions on-screen at the same time as subtitles that disappeared almost as soon as they appeared.  And at the end a chunk of potted praise for the enlightened management of the Communist Party. 5/10.