Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952916 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6675 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:19:44 am »
The Embrace of the Serpent

Colombian film about a shaman who is the last surviving member of his tribe and his relationship with two Western botanists documenting the Amazonian flora forty years apart. The story is compelling, and the film shows the various destruction of the Amazon and its people by rubber tappers, war, missionaries and worse.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6676 on: 18 October, 2016, 08:36:59 pm »
The last of the Hobbit trilogy.  How much did it cost to get something *that* wrong?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6677 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:14:39 pm »
I'm wanting to re-read thr book of The Hobbit, to remind me how much better it must be than the films.

Watched the Deepwater Horizon film last weds, something of an anti BP polemic, also paints the OIM in a less than flattering light.  Working in the industry, and having read parts of the official report, I can only hope that those I need to trust will make better decisions when I'm offshore.

Watched the new Tom Hanks, Inferno on Saturday.  Not sure how that got a 12 cert.  Far too loud, too many flashing images, and thin on plot in place of action.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6678 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:58:12 am »
Watched the new Tom Hanks, Inferno on Saturday.  Not sure how that got a 12 cert.  Far too loud, too many flashing images, and thin on plot in place of action.

Somehow or other one expects good actors to be more discerning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6679 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:12:50 am »
I always reckon in these cases the actors can rely on the Krusty the Clown defence, viz. "They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house; I'm not made of stone!"

rogerzilla

« Reply #6680 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:38:24 am »
It's almost the same plot as all the others, too.

« Reply #6681 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:47:56 am »
The last of the Hobbit trilogy.  How much did it cost to get something *that* wrong?
You just have to re-interpret the very end

"Son, your heart has been broken by a woman, who gave her heart to a dwarf (who is now dead). Forget women, what you need is a man. I know just the sort of man you need. His name is Aragorn. Find him, and you can spend many hours exchanging meaningful, soulful looks, but in the end, he will kiss a horse."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

« Reply #6682 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:26:55 pm »
If you read the book, Frodo and Sam really need to get a room.  But in the end Sam finds a beard and Frodo goes off in a huff.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6683 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
Parkland

Jeez! I was in bits after 10 minutes. Nothing like JFK. If you haven't already, watch it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6684 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:50:18 pm »
If you read the book, Frodo and Sam really need to get a room.  But in the end Sam finds a beard and Frodo goes off in a huff.
Wrong book

Peter Jackson also seemed to have been confused.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6685 on: 22 October, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »
I, Daniel Blake

Fucking hell, talk about an emotional rollercoaster... I laughed, I got angry, I left the cinema inconsolable.

Stunning piece of work. Ken Loach at his most Ken Loachiest.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6686 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:19:10 pm »
I, Daniel Blake

Fucking hell, talk about an emotional rollercoaster... I laughed, I got angry, I left the cinema inconsolable.

Stunning piece of work. Ken Loach at his most Ken Loachiest.

I saw an article on the local news about that (our local news also covers the Toon, so relevant). I was struck, from the clips I saw, of the similarities with '80's and' 90's films like "My Name is Joe" and "Brassed Off", not in subject, but in how the country is fucked. This makes me not want to see the film, but being a fan of Ken Loach's films makes me want to see it, thus I am conflicted.

I know, POBI is that way - - - >
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6687 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »
I was struck, from the clips I saw, of the similarities with '80's and' 90's films like "My Name is Joe" and "Brassed Off", not in subject, but in how the country is fucked.

I love Brassed Off but it's lightweight froth compared to IDB. There is barely concealed seething rage underpinning every scene, yet it's the warmth and humanity and humour that ultimately make it so potent.

There's a food bank scene you may have heard about. Judged in cinematic terms, it is perfectly shot, perfectly directed, perfectly acted. And it is utterly heartbreaking.

This makes me not want to see the film, but being a fan of Ken Loach's films makes me want to see it, thus I am conflicted.

I know what you mean, I felt exactly the same. You must see it. *Everyone* must see it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6688 on: 23 October, 2016, 07:51:48 am »
Yes, saw it last night, as up thread emotional rollercoaster. Take tissues! And the film's  has internal conflict:  The art of the film against the plot.

« Reply #6689 on: 23 October, 2016, 04:28:47 pm »
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Which is certainly a bit curious.  I'm not entirely sure that the basic premise entirely makes sense or is useful, but the film certainly holds interest, with a character who always seems to be slightly out of place, but is fairly touching anyway.

Overall I think I like it, but it's not an obvious idea, and I think the reason it works here, is simply that the acting, cinematography and makeup are all excellent, for what could otherwise easily be a bit mediocre.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6690 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
To Kill A Mockingbird

1962.  Starring Gregory Peck.

What a great film.  Starring Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, Mary Badham as Scout, and a top rate musical score.  A gentle film about ugly things, themes of reason in the face of hatred and ignorance.  Very much for our time. 

Milk please, no sugar.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6691 on: 23 October, 2016, 11:32:55 pm »
It's almost the same plot as all the others, too.

I have never been a great deviser of twisted plots, so I have spent my time developing characters. My characters are real to me. I feel for them, I know them intimately. My readers seem to agree that they are people you could meet in real life.

So my books hopefully have real characters, real situations and credible plots that are mainly devised to let the people in the stories be as human as I can make them.

Dan Brown has A Plot. It is like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, but in his case "One shall be the counting of it".
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6692 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:46:10 am »
"Spamalot" was a great title.

« Reply #6693 on: 24 October, 2016, 03:51:50 pm »
The Last Picture Show

Reminds me of 'Hotel California' but without the element of hope.

Seriously good film tho'.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6694 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »
Yeah, that's Larry McMurtry all right.  We used to read his novels, but got sick of him for his penchant for making you like a character in one book then killing him in the sequel.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6695 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »
Carrie. The second remake.

I remember going to see the first film in the cinema in the 70's in Edinburgh. I thought it was a scare movie. This one didn't hack it, in fact I couldn't really see why a remake had been made. I guess I should go and seek out the first film again. The pigs blood was pretty poor as a special effect.

Possibly this is the same as for The Omen. Steer clear of any remakes and probably don't bother with the original either.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6696 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »
http://notesonblindnessfilm.com/

A clever adaption of a fascinating book.

Makes extensive use of audio effects, so best watched with headphones or proper speakers.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6697 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The SmallestCub had to hide behind his jumper a few times, but concluded it was even better than Alice in Wonderland.

« Reply #6698 on: 24 October, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The SmallestCub had to hide behind his jumper a few times, but concluded it was even better than Alice in Wonderland.

Reading the book. I've done lots of hiding. 42 years old. Ahem.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6699 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:32:49 pm »
Jack Reacher.  Never Go Back.

If you like splozhuns and car chases and hand to hand combat and a thriller mystery type plot you will like this film.

I like these things very much and thought it was marvellous, but not as marvellous as the first one.

Spoiled a wee bit by gratuitous sop.
Milk please, no sugar.