Author Topic: Route suggestions ~150km out and back from London  (Read 1792 times)

WOT

Route suggestions ~150km out and back from London
« on: 23 October, 2019, 10:31:53 am »
I think this could be my 1st post here, good morning all.

I haven’t had the opportunity to get beyond 100km but find myself with an entire Monday to myself next week. I just have to be home for tea.

Starting and finishing in London, taking in ~150km of reasonably hilly cycling or ~200km of flat terrain, I can use an outbound or return train journey if necessary. It would be nice to pick up some scenery / points of interest but I’m in it to test myself really.

I have never been south of London on the bike, but any direction will do.

Would anybody be so kind as to suggest a route or a destination?

Re: Route suggestions ~150km out and back from London
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:40:33 am »
I don't know where abouts in London you mean but Google palace to Palace 90 mile route and that's not a bad start if you can get to near buck House or ammend route accordingly.

Oh and welcome to the mad House.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:42:10 am »
Brighton and back is a well-worn favourite (plus many options to get a train back on the return leg if you've had enough).

I did a good ride from South London to Horsham and Littlehampton - certainly hilly and you get to finish at the seaside. The train takes longer back from there though.

On the Kent direction - what about Eynsford, West Malling, Cranbrook, Tenterden, Woodchurch, Sellindge, Canterbury - again plenty of trains back.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

WOT

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:17:29 am »
I don't know where abouts in London you mean but Google palace to Palace 90 mile route and that's not a bad start if you can get to near buck House or ammend route accordingly.

I’ll be starting in SW so would work out nicely. Breakfast and Lunch with royalty, perfect.

Brighton and back is a well-worn favourite (plus many options to get a train back on the return leg if you've had enough).

I did a good ride from South London to Horsham and Littlehampton - certainly hilly and you get to finish at the seaside. The train takes longer back from there though.

On the Kent direction - what about Eynsford, West Malling, Cranbrook, Tenterden, Woodchurch, Sellindge, Canterbury - again plenty of trains back.

I’ll save that Brighton ride for sometime when I can coordinate life with one of the Friday night rides.

I have 3 options now for Monday and 2 remaining for future. Thanks folks!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:25:39 am »
Ride of the Falling Leaves might be a goodun for you. Done lots of riding out in this neighbourhood and it's good quality.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7739511
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:34:37 am »

I’ll save that Brighton ride for sometime when I can coordinate life with one of the Friday night rides.

I'd recommend riding to Brighton with the Veteran Car Run (this year on Sun 3 Nov), it's a real hoot, with everyone out to cheer on the cars. You're riding at the same speed or faster than many of the cars, and can ride along chating. It starts early, so you're in Brighton for a chippie lunch. And of course, while there are a few cyclists, not the vast hordes of the London Brighton run, making it so unpleasant ;)

WOT

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2019, 09:03:39 pm »

I did a hybrid of this route today, 156km, so my longest ride to date. Had a few navigation issues that I need to work on. Otherwise the Surrey hills were beautiful and suitably challenging for me. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.