Author Topic: Trixi Mirrors  (Read 831 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Trixi Mirrors
« on: 30 July, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
Cycle Superhighway 7 has given us the UK's first glance of Trixi mirrors, installed to give drivers of large vehicles a view over their blind spot - the corridor down their left where cyclists become as invisible as me trying to get served at the bar.

They are named after Beatrix Willburger, a Swiss girl killed by a lorry turning left. Her father has since promoted the use of the mirrors at junctions.

There were 31 of the mirrors on the two Cycle Superhighways for the launch last week, with 37 ultimately being trialled in London over the next six months. This is the one on CS7 by Clapham Common.

Real cycling: New views: Trixi mirrors on CS7

An interesting idea, and cheap enough to roll out on a large scale at lefting squish-points.  Has anyone seen them in the wild?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Clandy

Re: Trixi Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2010, 08:19:48 am »
I haven't seen any, but they are a very good idea. I'd like to see them as standard fitment at all lighted junctions. Personally I never filter up the side of a long vehicle at junctions, it just isn't worth the risk, but there are many who do and these may well save their lives.

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2010, 09:24:39 am »
If drivers don't look at them it's pointless, but if it saves one life it's a great idea

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2010, 11:03:45 am »
I noticed one on the FNRttC the other week.  Seems like a good idea.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein