Author Topic: Decent, hardwearing trousers - any suggestions??  (Read 3785 times)

Decent, hardwearing trousers - any suggestions??
« on: 03 December, 2020, 12:46:57 pm »
Hey all!!

Just wondering if any one has any suggestion of good value - as in cheap - trousers that are hardwearing for cycling? And NOT lycra...I wish to be casual cyclist  :P

As my jeans, which always thought denim was hardy, are foiled by the saddle  >:(

Any and all suggestions would be great

Thanks
Rob

Re: Decent, hardwearing trousers - any suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2020, 01:25:10 pm »
I'm not keen on lycra either, here's a quick run down of my experiences.

I've always struggled with cheap vs hard-wearing as the place they cut corners is with fabric thickness.

Jeans the 7 quid jeans from the supermarkets will last 6 months maybe, but then they only cost 7 quid.

Chinos, M&S chinos tend to last a year but then the crotch goes, probably about £20 to £30 quid a pair

Outdoor trousers, the old Craghoppers kiwis used to do alright, got about 5000 miles into one pair before I had to restitch the seams, but the newer ones don't seem to last as long before they wear out and the fabric is definitely thinner. £30 in the sale.

Alpkit do some canvas trousers, Kraftwerk they are called quite hardwearing and seem to be lasting but £60 a pair.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »
Regatta action trousers are pretty cheap and tough. Thicker fabric that the Craghopper Kiwi anyway.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »
"Action trousers" sounds like something out of Monty Python.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2020, 03:06:18 pm »
I think it would be what the Inquisition would be wearing under their Red Robes...one of their 1, 2, 3 or 4 possibly 5 primary weapons or is it 6?!?!?

But I'll take a look into that now shops are open - if you can try them on that is without needing to be doused/hosed down with bleach after lol

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2020, 11:40:00 am »
Do things in the Ronhill Trackster / Altura Cruiser vein (summer option: Endura Humvee) qualify as 'lycra'?

They're my favoured utility cycling wear on the basis of being:

a) Not Jeans.
b) Reasonably resistant to saddle abrasion.
c) Not too figure-hugging.

Bonus feature:
d) Quick drying.

Previous experience of repeated cycling in cotton trousers suggests that anything that fails too badly at (b) is a false economy.

« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2020, 12:12:26 pm »
They look like they will be okay with my street-cred...
...note to self - must get some street-cred

And not badly priced either :)
Cheers

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2020, 12:17:35 pm »
^^^ WKS.  I find I cannot ride in 'trousers' ( on an upwrong anyway) so have for the past 30 years worn Ronhill Tracksters. Never got round to trying the bikesters. Last year I threw away  :'( my first ever pair, bought at a 'trekking' shop in Crickhowell, in about '91. They were just so completely worn out, and I do a "lot" of riding. I find I don't feel uncomfortable ( read embarrassed) in them when in town, especially with an old cagoule etc, just makes me look adventurous! ;) . Bought 2 new pairs from wiggle last year, on special, but first thing I do is replace the draw cord with stout elastic. That way they can be tight enough to hold your shirt in and not cut you in two.

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2020, 12:32:47 pm »
Cheers for the draw-string tip...nothing worse then being spliced in two when out cycling

Will look for some when I have some time - any one know in any shops (While they open) they be avaialbale in
I have the joy of Birmingham down the road

Hate buying clothes like that online - hard to try on via a screen lol

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »
Cheers for the draw-string tip...nothing worse then being spliced in two when out cycling

Will look for some when I have some time - any one know in any shops (While they open) they be avaialbale in
I have the joy of Birmingham down the road

Hate buying clothes like that online - hard to try on via a screen lol

I know what you mean BUT, the ones I bought on special at Wiggle were cheap!!!   iirc c. £13. But only ever having had one pair in 28 years, the sizing had changed slightly, so I ordered Large (2 pairs) but they were just a tad small/ short. So I ordered 2 x XL pairs, and then sold the 2 large pairs on eBay for more than I paid.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2020, 12:48:49 pm »
Quick google shows Go Outdoors stock them c. £18

« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »
Most of my cycling is done in jogging trousers, usually bought from TK Maxx, I stay away from anything too thick or cotton rich and they've all been fine, prices from £10 - 20.
I also have some Rohan Troggings, which are a cut above, but they're not cheap and rarely in their sales, I haven't ridden in anything else as comfortable when wet.
When I'm going to be out all day and just cycling, I'll wear Ronhill Bikesters or the Polaris equivalent, I'm not sure why, habit maybe, or wanting to look the part! When/if they wear out I don't think I'll buy any more, there's nothing wrong with them, just I find no advantage over the above (Well except needing to keep the ends away from the chain)

« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2020, 01:18:11 pm »
If you want trousers that you can get away with in a work setting, Uniqlo Kando are good. Light, very quick drying, made out of some kind of tech stuff with stretch in legs and in the waistband, and no seams where you don’t want them. Work great on the bike when needs be.

Ignore the geezer in the suit and the designer collaboration bit, in black or navy they are plain lightweight stretch trousers:

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-adam-scott-x-kando-ultra-light-trousers-422373COL69INS031034.html

Some of the reviews mention dubious sizing but I found them to be just as described.

« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2020, 03:25:23 pm »
Got three sets of commuting bikesters dating from 2003 and still going strong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:26:49 pm »
What I did with my Bikesters last year and wish I'd done many years ago was to cut off the foot stirrups.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #15 on: 04 December, 2020, 09:53:46 pm »
What I did with my Bikesters last year and wish I'd done many years ago was to cut off the foot stirrups.

Then replace with elastic !  ;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:06:32 pm »
no suggestions

they are just trousers

focus on the things that matter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:23:09 pm »
they are just trousers

focus on the things that matter

Trousers can be pretty important.  Especially if you go to York. (DAHIKT)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:23:55 pm »

Then replace with elastic !  ;)
No.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2020, 12:32:28 am »
^^^ WKS.  I find I cannot ride in 'trousers' ( on an upwrong anyway) so have for the past 30 years worn Ronhill Tracksters. Never got round to trying the bikesters. Last year I threw away  :'( my first ever pair, bought at a 'trekking' shop in Crickhowell, in about '91. They were just so completely worn out, and I do a "lot" of riding. I find I don't feel uncomfortable ( read embarrassed) in them when in town, especially with an old cagoule etc, just makes me look adventurous! ;) . Bought 2 new pairs from wiggle last year, on special, but first thing I do is replace the draw cord with stout elastic. That way they can be tight enough to hold your shirt in and not cut you in two.

Ron hills. That takes me back.  Mid 80's to be precise.
Many moons ago as a young Royal Marine, that was the rig of the day when not in uniform. super comfortable for casual, ideal for running/exercise, and doubled as arctic underwear. Worn on many a pre dawn Winter bike commute from Exeter to Lympstone through the freezing mist swirling off the Exe.  Happy days, thanks for the memory and glad to hear that they are still a thing.
often lost.

« Reply #20 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:53:49 am »
European workwear trousers seem to have reinforced crotches (on er) and go well with my wool jerseys. Not as heavyweight as my American ones either.

« Reply #21 on: 05 December, 2020, 11:52:05 am »

I keep meaning to cut off the stupid stirrups on my Rons.  In the late eighties the stirrups were a thin, narrow strip and was still comfortable under the middle of the foot.  These days they use an acre of material thick as a plank and (almost) wider than the opening at the bottom of the leg.  I have to leave them out above my heel.

They should just drop the stirrups - pointless.   :demon:

I do have some nineties pairs somewhere in the depths of clothing storage.  They last for decades.

« Reply #22 on: 05 December, 2020, 01:00:11 pm »
https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/ts107-york-tights.html

These are another 'not as good as they used to be'

Got a pair from Spa. Sized down, but waist on 32s was still so crap I had to use braces. Looked good with the braces holding them up. Seat blew out on first ride and thighs bobbled up. They were not too tight or anything, just poorly made. Spa offered a full refund, then I had to chase them over that...

« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2020, 02:19:05 pm »
I routinely wear Ron Hill bikesters in summer (when too cool for shorts), and Tudor tights in winter. I have the odd pair of more figure-hugging things, but nobody seems to want my figure hugged, so I avoid them except if not expecting to get off the bike even for a cafe stop.

Since neither is bib style, I still use the old cyclists' practice of ordinary braces. Works fine for me.

« Reply #24 on: 05 December, 2020, 03:25:50 pm »
Rohan Bags work for me. Wore them for work with collar and tie but perhaps not if meeting high ups.

Other Rohan options worked well too in particular polyamide Fusion trousers.

Not much in the range I'd pay full price for; wait until they're in the 'Souk' bargains area of the website or the clearance area of the stores.