Author Topic: Chainring Tightening  (Read 11473 times)

Re: Chainring Tightening
« Reply #25 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:01:27 pm »
This is the grand-daddy of the tools

Google Images

(Edit) I think this is the more recent version of the one Littlewheelsandbig posted. Note to self - read previous posts more thoroughly!

« Reply #26 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »
Correct single chainring bolts are serated to keep them in place and stop them spinning.

Google Images

« Reply #27 on: 30 June, 2011, 07:29:17 pm »
No, this one:

I've just used my one of these to tighten my Stronglight chainring bolts.
This tool goes on the inside and the allen key on the outside.
Tighten = sorted.

It doesn't engage well enough with my Campag and generic nuts.  I can use it to a certain pathetic extent, but it's no use for getting the bolts fully tight.  I simply can't grip the nuts tightly enough with this tool.  Then I use an allen key on its own, and if the nut slips, just keep turning until it stops slipping.  It always does.

I found this with Shimano bolts but since I changed to some Stronglight ones they have a larger groove on the reverse and it grips well.

« Reply #28 on: 01 July, 2011, 08:51:34 am »
This is the grand-daddy of the tools

Google Images

(Edit) I think this is the more recent version of the one Littlewheelsandbig posted. Note to self - read previous posts more thoroughly!

Ooo. I want one of those.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:15:28 am »
I was adjusting front mech yesterday and just couldn't stop it from rubbing which was when I noticed the large chainring would veer off centre by the width of the chain or thereabouts.

At first I thought the crank must be bent our something like that which was when I spotted the loose chaining bolt. Or rather bolts, 4 of them. I was lucky that no bolts had disappeared entirely. 

Clearly I had not tightened sufficiently when replacing small chainring a month ago. 

All tightened up now with the help of a large flat screwdriver to hold rear in place. I found it easier to get the final tightness with chainset fitted to bike.

Anyway, let this be a cautionary tale of the dangers of not properly tightening chainring bolts
Up the hills and round the bends

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:53:07 am »
And an advisory tale of how you can find some good information if you plough back through several hundred pages.  ;D

« Reply #31 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:57:46 am »
I hadn't realised it was such an old thread, never looked at the date!

Strange as it appeared on the front page when I was browsing the forum using tapatalk on my android phone.

« Reply #32 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:02:43 am »
Also, the edge of a 5p piece fits at least one of my chainsets nicely.

« Reply #33 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:06:35 am »
Also, the edge of a 5p piece fits at least one of my chainsets nicely.

That sounds like a good tip!

« Reply #34 on: 31 January, 2020, 08:57:16 am »
It's my experience that if the area of contact in which the bolts sit have any oil or grease on them the bolt will not grip.

So I always degrease the area thoroughly.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #35 on: 31 January, 2020, 03:47:49 pm »
It's my experience that if the area of contact in which the bolts sit have any oil or grease on them the bolt will not grip.

So I always degrease the area thoroughly.

yes indeed.

Clean on the outside, greased threads (and with used bolts make sure that the two halves will run into one another all the way without binding) and you won't need anything more than a single 5mm allen key to tighten or loosen your chainrings.   If you get a new chainset, give those bolts 'the treatment' when the chainset is new.

The only times I ever need any extra tools is when I'm working on other people's bikes.

cheers

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 31 January, 2020, 09:13:27 pm »
Stronglight stack bolts usually just work.  Some others spin uselessly.  The Park tool to hold the backnut is useless too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.