Author Topic: Chainring Tightening  (Read 11472 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Chainring Tightening
« on: 26 June, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »
On my ride this morning I noticed creaking from the crankset area - it's a Shimano Deore MTB set with big and small rings removed to make it single speed.

Discovered all the chainring bolts were loose :facepalm: when I tried to tighten them I got so far then the 'nut' on the other side just span. Do I need a special tool to tighten it?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Chainring Tightening
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2011, 02:48:46 pm »
No.You need some 'offcuts of chainwheel' to act as washers cos the nuts ae 'bottoming out' with nothing to tighten on besides themselves . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
EDIT:  This may not be relevant for Paul:

The nut can just slip with perfectly standard and correct components.  I've experienced this, not every time, but ever since I had my first chainset with removable rings.

There is a special tool, a back spanner, to hold the nuts still, but I never use one.

Keep turning the bolt and the nut will eventually stop slipping as contaminants disperse.  Press the back of the nut hard with your finger (and never mind the pain!).

Whenever refitting the nuts and bolts, degrease everything including the chainring and your hands - except for the bolts threads if you wish to use a small amount of grease.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2011, 06:33:20 pm »
No.You need some 'offcuts of chainwheel' to act as washers cos the nuts ae 'bottoming out' with nothing to tighten on besides themselves . . .

Not necessarily.  The nut can just slip with perfectly standard and correct components.  I've experienced this, not every time, but ever since I had my first chainset with removable rings.

There is a special tool, a back spanner, to hold the nuts still, but I never use one.

Keep turning the bolt and the nut will eventually stop slipping as contaminants disperse.  Press the back of the nut hard with your finger (and never mind the pain!).

Whenever refitting the nuts and bolts, degrease everything including the chainring and your hands - except for the bolts threads if you wish to use a small amount of grease.

I think Torslanda meant they were double bolts on a single ring, I've had mixed results with this method even using spacers.

On the tightening front, though I do have the tool, I followed advice, yours I believe, to clean up the bolts and put a bit of grease on the thread. Worked a treat and tightened right up with no need for tool or finger pain  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »
A set of single-chainring bolts should sort this for a couple of quid.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
Sorry I didn't pay attention to the "big and small rings removed".  My brain's overheated.

'Owever, I wonder how Paul got the bolts tight in the first place if they are not single-chainring bolts?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
Sorry I didn't pay attention to the "big and small rings removed".  My brain's overheated.

'Owever, I wonder how Paul got the bolts tight in the first place if they are not single-chainring bolts?

Bike shop did that :)

Since they've been fine so far I assume that they are single ring bolts....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
Dangerous to 'assume' anything has been done correctly unless you've done it yersel' . . .  ;)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2011, 08:17:21 pm »
Sorry I didn't pay attention to the "big and small rings removed".  My brain's overheated.

Bike shop did that :)

Since they've been fine so far I assume that they are single ring bolts....

hmmm, my LBS did same, only found out when I wanted to change chainring, they'd got the double bolts to work, without spacers, but it was a nightmare getting them undone.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2011, 11:03:13 pm »
I used to get spin even with the right sized bolts but my last set actually had a hex 6mm fitting on the rear part ..... eezy peezy! :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2011, 05:46:56 am »
Agree with using chainring bolts that allow proper tools. Otherwise I use a chainring bolt tool. Life is too short to futz around with sore fingers and occasional creaks from lack of lubrication between components.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2011, 10:03:01 am »
Chan you recommed a brand of chainring bolt tool for those who would like one?

The Shimano one I have grips hardly any better than my finger.

(I won't bother getting another myself.  I find the spinning stops after a few quick turns of the allen key).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2011, 10:27:02 am »
I just bought a chain ring nut tool. Available for lend whenever.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:20:51 pm »
The Shimano one I have grips hardly any better than my finger

This one?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-tl-fc22-chainring-wrench-t40-prod20052/

That's the best one I've ever used.

The worst one I've had is this Cyclus one:

Bloody awful. Cyclus stuff is usually pretty good but that thing is crap.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay

« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »
Ah. The pressed steel ones are a bit hit and miss - some brands are adequate, some are fit for scrap.

I've tried loads of these and the Shimano one in the SJS link above is the only one I'd recommend to those so inclined. It's easy to grip the tool and the teeth (the black end is for trad chainring bolts) fit securely.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »
How does the cyclus tool work?

I've got a pressed steel jobby. Works well enough. I find the trick is to catch the free end in the spider so you can hold the head end in place with one hand and use the hex wrench with the other. Not great but seems to work, at least on my cheapo alloy cranksets. If you have bling carbon gear I expect YMMV.

« Reply #18 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:42:31 pm »

It just has the same paired "teeth" as any pressed steel job, with that handle on top of it.
It's an odd tool - it's quite substantial and they obviously haven't set out to make a cheap too, but it's awkward to grip and to judge the alignment by feel if your eye is elsewhere on the other side of the chainring. The teeth are just not a good match for the chainring bolts I use (Campag Record track ones or various flavours of Shimano).
The Shimano teeth just fit well and there is a sort of shelf that makes it easy to be sure by feel that you are still perpendicular.
IYSWIM.

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »

I've just found that Cyclus in the toolbox - yours if you want it.

« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »
If got right length bolts (or some decent spacers) a blunt broad blade screwdriver works just fine.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
No, this one:

I've just used my one of these to tighten my Stronglight chainring bolts.
This tool goes on the inside and the allen key on the outside.
Tighten = sorted.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #22 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »
I have one of those Cyclus tools, and like you say - well made, but very disappointing in use. I can't work out why they incorporated that chaintool-like bar.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:19:01 am »
No, this one:

I've just used my one of these to tighten my Stronglight chainring bolts.
This tool goes on the inside and the allen key on the outside.
Tighten = sorted.

It doesn't engage well enough with my Campag and generic nuts.  I can use it to a certain pathetic extent, but it's no use for getting the bolts fully tight.  I simply can't grip the nuts tightly enough with this tool.  Then I use an allen key on its own, and if the nut slips, just keep turning until it stops slipping.  It always does.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:24:03 am »
You can also tighten them up with a big flat screwdriver and a allen key sometimes