Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119452 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement
« on: 19 August, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »
There is a post from the Chairman on the AUK forum.

It is an update on the projected costs of the new web site .

I would suggest that AUK members unaware of the position take  time to access this post and study the financial implications.

Inappropriate to provide any details here... but not happy reading.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
I think the preceding post should be removed .. the AUK forum is specifically for AUK members only.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:13:50 pm »
I think the preceding post should be removed .. the AUK forum is specifically for AUK members only.

Non-members (well, anyone not already logged-in) will only get a login page.

<mod>Us mods without AUK logins get the same.

Nothing to see here. Move along please.</mod>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:22:00 pm »

Non-members (well, anyone not already logged-in) will only get a login page.

That's what I got
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2018, 12:00:26 am »
Crying laughing emoji

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:29:32 am »
Bloody hell.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:38:47 am »
Sorry if I've missed this, but what does folly phase one two and three actually consist of?

Rule 77

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:43:35 am »
Are these money people or IT people?

Money people would never see value in spending that much money on an interface that does not generate revenue... IT people might get carried away and think of the infinite potential of an up to date software...  basically geeky wanking, if you ask me

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:12:45 am »
Sorry if I've missed this, but what does folly phase one two and three actually consist of?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:13:42 am »
A while back there was a strategy to modernise AUK and attract a new generation of riders. New website was mooted. Volunteerism is not professionalism. Stuff costs money.

And yet, in the face of increasing membership and NOT increasing offer, I don't see the point in attempting to attract more members.

The point is that a quarter of a million pounds (and counting) for an interface that is unlikely to generate significant extra revenue (and bear in mind there is no capacity to accomodate this extra revenue anyway) is nonsense.

I thought the bill for the all project was going to run in the thousands... not in the hundreds of thousands...

It would be nice to have a businessman opinion on the idea of spending 300K to count imaginary points and hand out imaginary awards

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:14:02 am »
I was at the April Board meeting and a cost escalation for the IT project was discussed and approved but nothing on this scale.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:20:40 am »
At the risk of sounding like Nicola Sturgeon, the circumstance s have changed with this new information, so it should be put to ballot. Continue, or not.

Rule 77

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:41:40 am »
So, the extra cost is due to interfacing with the old databases.

In essence 200 grand is being spent to make sure old results are compatible...

Always bear in mind we are talking about folks clocking miles on a bicycle for a hobby and counting points for a bit of extra fun... WTF gives a toss about old results? It's not that you can get an OBE by producing them... they are worthless pieces of information.
This AUK obsession for looking back at who got the highest number of SR over its history is surely not worth 200 k!  ::-)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:55:10 am »

Always bear in mind we are talking about folks clocking miles on a bicycle for a hobby and counting points for a bit of extra fun... WTF gives a toss about old results? It's not that you can get an OBE by producing them... they are worthless pieces of information.
This AUK obsession for looking back at who got the highest number of SR over its history is surely not worth 200 k!  ::-)

Not quite - but all the detail is in the board members pack linked to on the minutes of the meeting. 3 phases, Phase 1 = User Front End, Phase 2 = membership & shop, Phase 3 =  Potential Future DB stuff

Phase 1 is 90% complete, there appears to be a quote for Phase 2 and Phase 3 is still to be more formally scoped. 

This is all from reading the board papers, suggest any more detailed discussion is curtailed to AUK forum thread perhaps.
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:59:26 am »
Can the phases stand alone? If Phase 1 is completed but Phases 2 and 3 scrapped, will it work – do what Phase 1 was meant to do?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:04:53 am »
Any links to previous discussions/threads on this topic..?

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:10:27 am »
Any links to previous discussions/threads on this topic..?

There are some on the AUK forum.

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:35:55 am »

exactly - anybody that entered a ride on the old website by definition understands it and knows where it is, so they can look on there...

« Reply #20 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:00:39 am »

I think I might have cared about this at some point. Early IT was a continuation of the DIY ethos, and I'm grateful for the efforts of those who pioneered AUK's online presence.

But organisations mature, and at some point the DIYers recede into the background, let their memberships lapse, and get occasional glimpses into an opaque world that they're better off out of.

Good luck with sorting out this problem.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:02:16 am »
the AUK forum is specifically for AUK members only.

However, the Chairman's statement is public as it is linked on the AUK homepage under News & Notices, whether or not you are logged in.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:14:33 am »

I think I might have cared about this at some point. Early IT was a continuation of the DIY ethos, and I'm grateful for the efforts of those who pioneered AUK's online presence.

But organisations mature, and at some point the DIYers recede into the background, let their memberships lapse, and get occasional glimpses into an opaque world that they're better off out of.

Good luck with sorting out this problem.

It's just going to spiral.
If AUK spends 340k on a website, it will become unrealistic to charge 15 quid for a membership or 5-10 quid to enter an event.
I don't see the need for such a spanky interface... I get the old one needs replacing, but 340k is the sort of money a multimillion pound business will consider... AUK is not a multi million pound business... end of the story.

BTW, if I look at the ACP interface for inspiration, I think we have at least another 10 years left in the current Aukweb...  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:44:57 am »
I get the old one needs replacing
Whyyyyy though?

I'd search myself but I'm off to hunt down a cheque book to enter the BCM...

« Reply #24 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:49:39 am »
There seems to have been a lot of activity at the IT contractors recently.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07284437/filing-history