Author Topic: I've never watched Star Wars.  (Read 14853 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: I've never watched Star Wars.
« Reply #25 on: 13 December, 2015, 09:57:31 pm »
Not as clumsy or garish as CGI; elegant models for a more civilised age.
:)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2015, 10:47:24 pm »
Try as I might, I cannot get excited about Star Wars. I've asked people who do, what it is about the films they like so much. I've yet to be persuaded by the answers, which tend to be along the lines of "a complete world", "a universal story" and "it made an impression on me when I saw it as a kid". This seems to me to apply to a whole host of other films too that seem not to generate so much excitement. And with the bonus of no annoying robots/aliens.
Because there was no other kids sci-fi film that came anywhere close. The Biblical overtones, the tip of the hat to Nazi legend-making and imagery, plus the big scary deep-breathing monster black man.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 13 December, 2015, 11:06:29 pm »
It's a Western, only with spaceships and frikkin' lasers instead of horses and .45s.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #28 on: 13 December, 2015, 11:21:58 pm »
There are elements of John Ford's work certainly, but the Death Star conference room was shot by the same bloke who did Doctor Strangelove. He preferred the latter.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 13 December, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
I am reasonably sure that Mrs. Wow and I sat through a Rat Warts film when we hadn't been married very long. I don't recall much about it. I do remember the mass indignation of classes of children when I referred to a character by the name of Daft Ada.

I have never watched Star Trek, Coronation Street or a Harry Potter film. I did read a Harry Potter book once and thought that there was far too much of a similarity to Tolkien for me to think of many of the ideas as anything other than plagiarism.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #30 on: 13 December, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »
Tolkein was hardly an innocent when it came to lifting things wholesale from Norse mythology.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #31 on: 13 December, 2015, 11:53:41 pm »
I did read a Harry Potter book once and thought that there was far too much of a similarity to Tolkien for me to think of many of the ideas as anything other than plagiarism.
Blimey, that's a connection I'd never have made.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #32 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:00:59 am »
It's a Western, only with spaceships and frikkin' lasers instead of horses and .45s.

With a hefty side order of Kurosawa's 'The Hidden Fortress'.

Quote from: Wikinaccurate
George Lucas has acknowledged heavy influence of The Hidden Fortress on Star Wars,[6] particularly in the technique of telling the story from the perspective of the film's lowliest characters, C-3PO and R2-D2.[7][8] Lucas's original plot outline for Star Wars also had a strong resemblance to the plot of The Hidden Fortress,[9] which would be reused for The Phantom Menace.

References:
[6] Kamiski, Michael (2007). The Secret History of Star Wars (PDF). p. 48. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
[7] Star Wars DVD audio commentary
[8] Kamiski, Michael (2007). The Secret History of Star Wars (PDF). p. 47. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
[9] Stempel, Tom; Dunne, Philip (2000). Framework: A History of Screenwriting in the American Film (3rd ed.). Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press. p. 154 & 204. ISBN 0815606540. Retrieved 27 March 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Fortress
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:01:09 am »
I did read a Harry Potter book once and thought that there was far too much of a similarity to Tolkien for me to think of many of the ideas as anything other than plagiarism.
Blimey, that's a connection I'd never have made.

I thought the giant spiders were laughably similar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:01:31 am »
I've never read a Harry Potter book, because first there wasn't such a thing as Harry Potter, then one day I woke up and everyone was talking about Harry Potter like it had been around for ages.  This was obviously a glitch in the matrix, or something, and I was cautious to avoid joining in on the basis that everyone who read Harry Potter might go blind, and that's just letting the triffids win.

Consequently I haven't seen any of the films, either.

I've done small doses of Tolkien, but I didn't inhale. I've heard it may be hobbit-forming.  Sufficient to get Pterry's satire, which is the important thing.

Watching Star Trek is like masturbation:  Nearly everyone does it, but many are too prudish to admit to it.  It's far, far better than Coronation Street.  Yes, even the Ferengi episodes of DS9.

« Reply #35 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:19:34 am »
Watching Star Trek is like masturbation:  Nearly everyone does it, but many are too prudish to admit to it.  It's far, far better than Coronation Street.  Yes, even the Ferengi episodes of DS9.

It has to be said that DS9 did at least try to flesh out the Ferengi and make them more than just the caricature that they were in TNG. Also, DS9 lifted the mask off the Federation, which in the original series and TNG could get a bit self-righteous, showing it to be more than willing to do some very dodgy stuff, up to an including attempted genocide. The Emissary part of Sisko's story arc was, IMHO, unnecessary, though.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 14 December, 2015, 01:11:44 am »
Well yes, but all the good stuff in later DS9 was just a pale imitation of Babylon 5.

The only thing that's come close has been the new Battlestar Galactica.  (There, that's brought us full circle.)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #37 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:27:45 am »
The original trilogy is great, and not just because Harrison Ford is at the peak of his beauty. Episodes I-III vary from terrible to mediocre. If you've never seen them and you decide to watch them, watch them in machete order, which is IV, V, II, III, VI.

I noticed you omitted I from the list. Good call.

I enjoyed 4, 5, 6 (for my *cough* birthday I got to watch the trilogy back-to-back in the local cinema, which was just awesome at the age of *cough*)

1 was dismal. So dismal I fell asleep while it was playing and when I woke up my first thought was "oh crap, it's still on". Thankfully it was on a DVD I rented so I could click the Stop button and salvage the evening. 2 was passable, I must admit I liked 3.

Haven't decided yet whether I'll watch 7.

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Jakob

« Reply #38 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:45:10 am »
I was astounded when I moved to the UK and realized that a lot of people actually took Star Trek seriously.

I'm similarly astounded that someone can proclaim that Star Wars is not 'proper' sci-fi, but Star Trek is.

As for Episode 7, I'm obviously biased. We're having a cast & crew screening on Thursday and I'm stoked.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #39 on: 14 December, 2015, 07:28:55 am »
Well yes, but all the good stuff in later DS9 was just a pale imitation of Babylon 5.

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 14 December, 2015, 08:30:28 am »
They are kids films. I saw Star Wars in 1978 when I was 9. It was exhilarating. I still like the first one, and the next two.

This. The original trilogy was a massive part of my youth - I was 7 when Star Wars came out. I was an avid collector of the toys too. But then at some point in the mid-80s I discovered girls...

I watched Episodes I-III on DVD with my son when he was old enough for them but I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I found them very clunky and quite dull. I probably won't bother going to the cinema to watch the new one but I will probably watch it when it comes on telly.

I was at a bit of a loose end yesterday afternoon so watched about an hour or so of Star Wars and really quite enjoyed it. I have no recollection of how I felt the first time I saw it, except for being terrified at the bit when they were in the garbage crusher, but I imagine I must have been pretty darn impressed. It has a lot to recommend it - as a kids' film. I'll have to watch the ending at some point - I vaguely recall the assault on the Death Star being pretty spectacular.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #41 on: 14 December, 2015, 09:33:06 am »

:o

BURN THE HERETIC!

Next you'll be claiming 'they' were right to cancel Firefly!

ian

« Reply #42 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:14:28 am »
I was going to write a provocative gripe about people who say they've not watched something to prove their intellectual superiority but then I remembered that I've not watched any Harry Potter and I'll happily tell people so (et voilà!). I too am not sure where it all came from, one day I walked out the door and everyone seemed to be clutching a copy of the tome. Who knew there was a latent tendency towards wizards. For reasons unknown I ended up trapped in a game of Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit (and I'm the sort of person who would rather bite off his own toes than play that game) at the weekend (at least it was in the pub and I could go to the bar often). I fear I didn't contribute much, but I was more than a little scared that some friend of a friend, an unassuming woman of middling age, knew every-bloody-thing about the books. It's was the sort of scary level of knowledge that had happily skipped over the borders of obsession and pitched camp. Had probably built a house.

I did sleep through large parts of the LoTR trilogy and never, ever felt the need to pick up a Tolkien book. I'd rather have my eyeballs kebabed than watch The Hobbit, even people who like that kind of schtick seemed to leave the cinema looking like they had just suffered a bodged prostate exam. Even the women. Wizards and magic never levitated my boat. I don't think I was good on sci-fi to be honest, I never really watched Star Trek. My wife once made me watch Voyager and DS9. Oh god, it was like a soap opera in space. I did love Firefly, which was inarguably a western in space, and should have run forever.

Possible a function of my childhood, where I preferred graphic novels. I'd eagerly await my copy of 2000AD and rustle up a few pennies sorting through the comics (oh we called them that back then, I'm not sure when they became graphic novels).

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #43 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

Get out!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:27:52 am »
If you think Star Trek is like masturbation then you're not doing it right.

« Reply #45 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:30:01 am »
Fell asleep watching Return of the Jedi (is that II?) chez Carol and Zoe circa 1988.  Never watched more than a couple of minutes of any of them when they've been on the tellybox since. 

There's too much rubbishy deus ex machina in science fiction for my liking.  See also: Doctor Who and Barry Trotter.  No real peril or tension because you know that the Sonic Screwdriver, patronus or The Force would be invoked to save protagonist at last moment.

« Reply #46 on: 14 December, 2015, 11:11:48 am »
What you young people won't appreciate is that Star Wars was absolutely ground-breaking amazing eye candy when it came out.

Prior that, special-effects, particularly in space, consisted of wobbly cardboard on string. Star Wars was holy-mother-fucking-amazing. People who didn't give a shit about sci-fi, spacecraft or any of that crap queued round the block to see it.

The story is a straight poor ripoff of arthurian legends, with Obi-wan kenobi as Merlin. Luke even sticks his light sabre through stone and pulls it out fer pete's sakes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #47 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:00:07 pm »
I still don't understand why they didn't call it Cool Hand, Luke instead of The Empire Strikes Back.

I love Star Wars but am under no illusions about it being any kind of masterpiece. Ditto with Harry Potter (both the books and the movies). And while I do count them as science fiction, it's definitely of the Space Opera rather than hard speculative fiction variety. They're just good fun as long as you don't take them too seriously.

On the subject of Space Westerns... I'm still not OK about Firefly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »

Get out!

Oh, Wascally Weasel got there first.  Never mind.  I'm reasonably sure that - in spite of the name - Spaced wasn't sci-fi, either.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:39:39 pm »
The Stars Wars special effects (the models anyway) still look fantastic despite all the years that have passed.

I'm still not convinced that the best way to destroy a Death Star is to fly down a long, long channel lined with guns while being chased by enemy fighters.

I have watched Babylon 5. The bit in the middle with the Shadows is fine, either side it's the usual wishy-washy stuff that Star Trek used to pipe out. I liked the original Star Trek which was just banter between the bridge crew and Kirk's ongoing quest to snog all the woman in the universe.