Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 421033 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1125 on: 29 October, 2012, 12:10:45 pm »
This Saturday was the BUCS climb up Curbar Gap in Derbyshire..
Who were you riding for? My avatar is from the 1978 '25' (BSSF in those days). Don't recall a hill climb, but then I probably wouldn't have entered, as I'm much more built for freewheeling competitions.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1126 on: 29 October, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »
As I've told you my time, a check of the results sheet on CTT will narrow me down to two options  ;)

Annoyingly, a friend has decided to get married on the day of this year's 25.  Why can't she just live in sin?!

« Reply #1127 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:16:03 pm »
As I've told you my time, a check of the results sheet on CTT will narrow me down to two options  ;)

Annoyingly, a friend has decided to get married on the day of this year's 25.  Why can't she just live in sin?!

I imagine she's tried that (I know I did) and, like an audaxer, wants the certificate.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1128 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »
Just scanning down for our guys. Good ride by Jamie. Calum may look slow but that is a really good result considering he had a massive off on the club run on the Thursday night. 30mph sprint for the 30's and his cleat disintegrated. Cue a bit of tarmac surfing and polystyrene smashing. A lot of cleats checked and replaced this week :)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1129 on: 29 October, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »
Well done, Greg!  Not ridden it but it sounds like a good hill to get your teeth into.

I managed not to come last in my club hill climb, which was all I was hoping for - by a second :P

« Reply #1130 on: 29 October, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »
This Saturday was the BUCS climb up Curbar Gap in Derbyshire..
Who were you riding for? My avatar is from the 1978 '25' (BSSF in those days). Don't recall a hill climb, but then I probably wouldn't have entered, as I'm much more built for freewheeling competitions.

There was in 1976 because I rode it (but didn't count for BUSF because Aberystwyth didn't have a BUSF affiliated cycle club; I rode for Ystwyth CC). It was somewhere near Halesowen, 25% and short and I was last, about 50secs behind the winner. It took me 5 mins just to recover my breath. Only hill-climb I ever rode.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1131 on: 29 October, 2012, 10:22:54 pm »
n.b. I may not be the Matt C that is Curbar Gap strava leader.
I had wondered...  ;)

PS Cudzo, for your interest I gave my 39x25 bottom gear plenty of love this weekend  ;)
I still favour 34x28 - purely tactically, of course!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1132 on: 02 March, 2013, 07:15:39 pm »
Let's crack this thread out again for 2013.

23:23 for me today in the Stockton Wheelers 10.  This was the second half of my season-opening mini stage race, with a 4th cat race at Croft circuit in the morning, before I toddled over to Crathorne and skinsuited up for my first TT of the year.

I was hoping to get a qualifying time for the Good Friday 10 on the V718 but 'twas not to be.  TBH I shouldn't have done the first race if I was really serious about that - I was overly warmed up to say the least!  To quote the Good Friday's organiser "Still in reserves but moves you up a bit!"

« Reply #1133 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »
First Evening 10 tonight, a lovely evening beautiful sunshine ...... however it was only about 4 degrees C with a strong easterly wind blowing & with the course starting on top of the southern edge of the Cotswolds it was freezing.
Only managed a 29:52, my PB is 27:15 !!!

« Reply #1134 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:35:54 pm »
First Evening 10 tonight, a lovely evening beautiful sunshine ...... however it was only about 4 degrees C with a strong easterly wind blowing & with the course starting on top of the southern edge of the Cotswolds it was freezing.
Only managed a 29:52, my PB is 27:15 !!!
Which TT was that if you don't mind me asking?

« Reply #1135 on: 03 April, 2013, 08:16:53 am »
Which TT was that if you don't mind me asking?

Sodbury Cycle Sport TT on the UC108 course.
HQ is the Cross Hands pub on the A46 at Old Sodbury.

« Reply #1136 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:28:19 am »
Struggled round the first of the year, our club's hilly. Actually, 'struggled' is wrong as I'm not yet fit enough even to struggle. Still, I was by no means last and (importantly!) I was only beaten by younger men.

25 this weekend.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1137 on: 04 April, 2013, 12:04:03 am »
Struggled round the first of the year, our club's hilly. Actually, 'struggled' is wrong as I'm not yet fit enough even to struggle. Still, I was by no means last and (importantly!) I was only beaten by younger men.

25 this weekend.
Happy Birthday!

How young were the younger men who beat you?
 :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1138 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:44:46 am »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1139 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
Quite a close finish last night:
1    Ron    Smith    DPCC       29.15    
2    Neil    Ashcroft    DPCC       29.15    
3    Steve    Mead    OT       29.15    
4    Mike    Cooper    DPCC       29.17    

!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1140 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »
We use very fancy watches that cannot be stopped as you lock them once started. Then just press the big red button and it stores the split times and prints them on a little roll of paper.

Very nice and dead good, but not cheap.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1141 on: 13 April, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »
Different course this week the UC109 ( roadworks on regular course ).
Harder route with a tough uphill section ridden twice.
Pleased to beat my time from last week by 40 seconds :)

Club offical advised me to alter my position slightly after going over pictures taken during event, move saddle forward & tribars back a little.
So hopefully more improving times to follow ???

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1142 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:25:12 pm »
We fielded two teams for the Darlington CC 2-up 12.5 this weekend. The sky was blue, the sun shone, my skinsuit made its second outing of the  year and had there not been a big wind, it could almost have been an idyllic summer's day! My friend Neil and I placed 7th with a pleasingly sub-30 time of 29:50, then watched our ladies' team come home in 34:35. This was extra impressive as they were the youngest team racing, they were the only all-female team and while none of us had done a 2-up before, one of them was riding her first race or TT of any description.  Their stated aim had been to not come last, and they achieved that with style.

The 2-up was really good fun and it was a learning experience for me: I had to work as a pair with Neil, going as fast as possible while staying as close as possible, taking care neither to blow him off when i was on the front or else to lose his wheel when I went to the back. The tactic that seemed to work best was that whichever of us was feeling stronger took longer turns on the front, rather than riding faster and losing the partner.  From the event photos, it also looks like we need to work on keeping closer together.

I definitely want to do this again if I'm still in the area next year.  You should all try one  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1143 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »
What was the route, Greg?

Shame I was away, I'd have come along to point and laugh offer support.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1144 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »
The HQ was East Cowton, the course is normally a 10 mile out and back to Scorton on the B1263.  This had to be moved due to road works, so it was two laps of this.

« Reply #1145 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »
New experimental course tonight ( avoiding the A46 ! )
Starting from Old Sodbury & heading east to Acton Turville on the B4040, then onto Badminton village before an uphill section into a strong westerly wind, this section was ridden twice !

http://app.strava.com/segments/3910119

The Strava link shows the course & elevation, however sadly the times are inaccurate  ???

I did it in 28:00 - my fastest 10 of the season so far  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1146 on: 23 April, 2013, 11:00:16 pm »
Sunday was the first 25 of the year for me.  It was also our club champs, after the event we usually use got moved by the DC to the same day as our club road race  :facepalm:

Not a great race for me.  I started off with a 30s late start penalty (oops!) and finished 1:51 behind our new 25 mile champion.  I never really got my head in the right place, otherwise I could have whittled down those 81 seconds  :demon: 

Well, I may like to think that but as they say; in time trialling, if you could have gone faster, you would have.  All the reasons for going slow are ultimately your fault.  I'll just have to try harder next time!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1147 on: 08 May, 2013, 10:00:15 am »
The YCF 10 was my last night's entertainment, on Boro' (the V212).  A warm sunny evening was complemented by a light wind blowing back up the uphill home leg of the course, to give clement conditions all round.  The course is a bit undulating and so not particularly fast, but fun nonetheless.  This was my first open 10 of the year, after my abortive attempt on the V718 a couple of months ago.  The uni club had had a varsity TT around sixteen laps of a circuit at the weekend, but that doesn't compare very well to an out and back event! 

23:37 for me, which was fourteen seconds off my PB but enough to win on handicap (how do they do those anyway?) and 17/50 overall.  I suppose that makes me moderately happy ... but I'd be happier if on of my six clubmates also racing hadn't done 23:05!  Three of the seven in our oversized team were also students who'd done the circuit jobbie on Saturday; two of us managed exactly the same 2:49 improvement over our times round the track, while the other made a measly 2:34 improvement - what a slacker ;)

[Edit: Ooh, my handicap win means I should expect a brown envelope with £25.  Pro cycling starts here!]

« Reply #1148 on: 08 May, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »
Club Evening 10 last night in good conditions, light SE wind & warm.
A new course is now being used ( UC108A ) a gift hill to start and then 2 loops passing through the villages of Acton Turville & Badminton.
The club has had good feedback from all participants and it seems faster than the 'old' course which included an undulating section along the A46.

A good PB for me last night knocking over 70 seconds off  ;D
Giving me a time of 26:42 & an 8th place out of 15.

Hopefully as the season progresses I maybe able to get under 26 mins  ???

DateCourseDistance TimePositionNotes : PB's in Bold
2 Apr       UC108       10.2miles         29:52       5/10         Strong SW Wind
9 Apr       UC109       10.2miles         29:12       9/14          Strong E Wind
23 Apr       UC108A       10.1miles         28:00       11/14          Strong SW Wind
7 May       UC108A       10.1miles         26:42       8/15          Warm & Light SE Wind

simonp

« Reply #1149 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »

CourseDateTimeComments
E3/1024.04.0830'15Madone 5.2, racelite wheels, 25mm tyres, clip ons, normal helmet
E3/10a24.07.0828'05Madone 5.2, racelite wheels, 25mm tyres, clip ons, normal helmet
U21/1015.05.1329'22Madone 5.2, open pro wheels, 23mm tyres, dynohub, edelux, drops, windy, no helmet

First TT in nearly 5 years. Goal, get under 30 minutes (bike is set-up for audax riding, so is slower than the configuration used for the previous 2 times). My second best time for a 10.