Author Topic: Route knowledge please - Steventon/Milton/Didcot area  (Read 2124 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Route knowledge please - Steventon/Milton/Didcot area
« on: 06 May, 2021, 05:00:32 pm »

Does anyone know if you can get, with a bike, from Steventon to Didcot Railway Centre via a track that appears to leave the village, cross a footbridge over the A34 to Milton Manor and then through the Milton Park and between the railway and line and the power station site?

The OS suggests that you can and Google Streetview/Satellite ditto.

Info appreciated

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
Re: Route knowledge please - Steventon/Milton/Didcot area
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2021, 02:40:52 pm »
Don't know the Steventon to Milton village bit, as you say maps suggest yes.

Milton Park to Didcot has shared use pavement with a roundabout juggle at the edge of Didcot.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:25:58 am »
The track shows as a bridleway on OS and streetmap. Google streetview from the Steventon end seems to show it as an unsurfaced singletrack.
The bridge has quite high steps (I drove under it today) so you would need to carry your bike up and over it.

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2021, 05:39:23 am »
It may be possible but the Strava heatmap suggests that it is not a popular route:

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2021, 05:25:26 pm »
The track shows as a bridleway on OS and streetmap. Google streetview from the Steventon end seems to show it as an unsurfaced singletrack.
The bridge has quite high steps (I drove under it today) so you would need to carry your bike up and over it.

Thanks Rich - I'd spotted the steps . . .  it's probably a "decide on the day" although it's a bit of a loop round unless we tackle the Milton/A34 interchange and then traverse the roadside cycle path into Didcot

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:30:48 pm »
My recollection is that there is a cycle path that negotiates the A34 Milton interchange, passing through the southern underpass. It's accessible from Milton Heights and connects to Milton Park. Check it out on Streetview. Not ideal, but you wouldn't have to use the carriageway. Martin

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:41:44 pm »
My recollection is that there is a cycle path that negotiates the A34 Milton interchange, passing through the southern underpass. It's accessible from Milton Heights and connects to Milton Park. Check it out on Streetview. Not ideal, but you wouldn't have to use the carriageway. Martin

Thanks.  I can see the Milton Heights end but it's unclear where it goes past the McDonalds and then to cross the railway line - I'll keep looking!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2021, 03:35:18 am »
There is a cyclepath that goes round the south side of the roundabout, it is signposted to Steventon.
Heading into Didcot the path follows the righthand side of the road all the way through to the next roundabout.
Didcot railway centre is signposted left at this roundabout but there is no cycle track across the railway bridge there.
Just up the road from the McD roundabout there is an underpass that takes you tunder the railway line and into Milton Park.
Personally I would take this then use park Drive and Milton road to bring you back up to the roundabout you'd come to going the other way. Basil Road after the roundabout is where the Railway centre sign sends you.

Was along that way again today heading for the Tesco Depot  :)

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:28:52 am »
There is a cyclepath that goes round the south side of the roundabout, it is signposted to Steventon.
Heading into Didcot the path follows the righthand side of the road all the way through to the next roundabout.
Didcot railway centre is signposted left at this roundabout but there is no cycle track across the railway bridge there.
Just up the road from the McD roundabout there is an underpass that takes you tunder the railway line and into Milton Park.
Personally I would take this then use park Drive and Milton road to bring you back up to the roundabout you'd come to going the other way. Basil Road after the roundabout is where the Railway centre sign sends you.

Was along that way again today heading for the Tesco Depot  :)

Brilliant - many thanks.