Author Topic: Women's RR Championship Race (spoiler)  (Read 2732 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Women's RR Championship Race (spoiler)
« on: 27 June, 2009, 06:32:16 pm »
Just back from Abergavenny watching the Women's road race.

First time on the finishing circuit - Nicole Cooke, Emma Pooley and Lizzie Armitstead:

Winding up the sprint with about 300m to go:

Nicole got it on a photo finish:

U23 Women's podium:

Her 10th British RR Champion's Jersey!

I'm off to see the Men's race tomorrow, but I'll be riding out there, so no good camera. It'll be interesting to see how Cavendish copes with the narrow streets - it's a downhill finish with a sharp bend 30m after the line. Hugh Porter joked they should put a big net there to catch him!

Re: Women's RR Championship Race (spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2009, 06:41:34 pm »
Great photos, Rhys. Thanks for posting them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »
Fantastic!  And what a rider!
Getting there...

rdaviesb

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »
Fantastic!  And what a rider!

She is a bit good. Incredible that she's got 10 GB jerseys, and also heartening that she's got some real competition in the UK.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:06:18 pm »
No surprises that it was Pooley & Armitstead chasing her...
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »
I was 300m from the finish line, but I saw on the news that the photo finish was between Pooley and Armitstead for the silver. Nicole was totally in control and had a good bike length on them. I was going on Hugh Porter's commentary as I walked towards the finish area.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:53:18 pm »
I'm riding out to watch the men's race too Rhys - bydda i'n gwisgo fy nghrys YACF! (FBAE?!)  Gwela i chi yno?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:56:08 pm »
Keyboard broken, mate?
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2009, 11:25:20 pm »
Edrycha'i allan amdano fo - mi fydda i'n gwisgo crys Cardiff Ajax (ond mae'n siwr fydd 'na tua ugain ohonom ni!)

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2009, 10:59:11 am »
Lizzy A had her silver taken off her because she was the first U23. All the girls protested, inc Pooley and Williamson, but to no avail.

British Cycling / Road / 2009 British Women's RR Champs
Working my way up to inferior.

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:05:44 am »
Lizzy A had her silver taken off her because she was the first U23. All the girls protested, inc Pooley and Williamson, but to no avail.

So does that mean that Nicole hasn't won the national champs for 10 years running as for some years she was under 23?

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:32:53 am »

So does that mean that Nicole hasn't won the national champs for 10 years running as for some years she was under 23?
Prezakly. There is, apparently 'a new UCI Regulation'  ::-) I can't even find such a category as Women U23 in the UCI regs, only 'Elite' or 'Junior'
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »

British Cycling / Road / 2009 British Women's RR Champs

That's crazy. She came second, she should get the medal. If anything. the fact that she is an under 23 makes it more impressive

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »
The blazers strike again.  What a bunch of arsewits.

I wish that Williamson had refused to stand on the podium to make the point, and that the winners had redistributed the medals amongst themselves.

How old is Cav these days anyway?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »
You get the most senior award possible for the finish. This ranks as national champion, national U23 champion, then silver for the relevant events.

One rider, one prize.

The comissaire is technically correct. If Lizzie had won she would have been senior GB champion.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #15 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:40:17 pm »
Lizzie wasn't actually given the silver medal at any point, so it wasn't really taken off her. When Hugh Porter announced that decision he was loudly booed by the crowd, and sadly he took that personally and got rather angry.

Nicole did make a small speech to the effect that she and the other riders thought it was the wrong decision, and they all thought Lizzie should have got the silver as well, which placated the crowd a bit. She also pointed out that she's been awarded the British Champs jersey in the past despite technically an U23.

« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2009, 10:31:51 pm »
Cycling Weekly is now reporting that the decision has been overruled by the BC president, with Armitstead being awarded the senior silver, and Kennaugh also being awarded U23 gold and senior bronze in the men's race.

gonzo

« Reply #17 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:11:02 pm »
Who won the men's event? I've not used cyclingnews since they changed the format!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #18 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »
Kristian House of Rapha Condor

More photos of the day here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompy/sets/72157620690058362/
a great mind thinks alike

gonzo

« Reply #19 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:42:39 pm »
Looks like it was a good one; never seen so many continental team jerseys in the race!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:34:20 am »
Excellent photo! We couldn't get near the finish line today, too packed.

The big continental boys were a bit low profile today I thought. Wiggins and Cavendish were the only big names left at the end, and they left too big a gap. And was Wiggins really wearing a skinsuit?