Author Topic: Broken eTrex Vista power button  (Read 1618 times)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
Broken eTrex Vista power button
« on: 29 August, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »
The power button (lower button on lh side) on my eTrex Vist HCx appears to be broken.  The unit would not switch off at the Gt. Easton control on LEL, and when I'd completed the ride I had to remove the batteries to switch it off.  Now it won't turn on.

The unit is about 3 years old and I guess I'm going to have to make a repair as suggested by the following website, which correctly describes the button click with no switching:

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/gvistahcx/common_hardware_issues.html#power_button

There are other websites showing how to dismantle the device.  However, I wonder if other forumites have experience of this particular problem or can give any tips on assembly/disassembly.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Re: Broken eTrex Vista power button
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2013, 08:19:26 pm »
Are you sure the rubber band hasn't just moved a bit so the outer rubber button is not quite in the right place?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:26:30 pm »
Yes, step 1 should be removal of the rubber band and determining whether the button responds to being prodded directly.

Opening these units is reasonably straightforward.  You'll want some isopropyl alcohol to clean all the sticky gack off once you remove the rubber band.

Getting them back together is all about adhesive tape, unfortunately.  I found double-sided carpet tape did the job, and a scalpel is handy for trimming it once in place.  Start by inserting the USB socket cover and working the rubber into place from there downwards - this ensures the buttons are correctly aligned.

If you open the unit up entirely to check for failed solder joints on the switch, I also recommend careful inspection of the contact between the battery springs and the pads on the circuit board.  On my well-used Vista HCx, the copper had worn away directly under the springs, leading to the random power-offs that are usually attributed to loose batteries.  I bypassed the contacts with wire-wrap wire.

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:17:29 am »
I may be being a bit stoopid here but isn't the power button the lower one on the right hand side? Lower LH side is the menu isn't it?

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:05:43 pm »
I may be being a bit stoopid here but isn't the power button the lower one on the right hand side? Lower LH side is the menu isn't it?

That's right, looked at from the usual direction.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »
My mistake, I meant RH side.  Current problem is that Lloyds Chemist in Pangbourne just said they can only sell me isopropyl alcohol if I have a "letter from the Home Office".  Where am I likely to obtain some when I'm in the metropolis of Reading next week?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »
My mistake, I meant RH side.  Current problem is that Lloyds Chemist in Pangbourne just said they can only sell me isopropyl alcohol if I have a "letter from the Home Office".  Where am I likely to obtain some when I'm in the metropolis of Reading next week?

Maplin.

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »
I had a similar problem with a 60CSx.
When I opened it up, it turned out that the external button pushed a long rubber plunger that pressed a microswitch soldered direct to the main PCB, and the legs on the switch had bent as the plunger pushed from the side. I bent the switch straight, and braced the back of it against the edge of the display with a bit of rubber packing.

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:34:37 pm »
I used meths and elbow grease

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »
Yeah, meths should work fine, but will leave everything tasting of bitrex for the rest of eternity.  Something I try to avoid on things that are going to be handled.