Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 476155 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1625 on: 05 August, 2014, 02:26:52 pm »
I'm not sure I could have finished it as a perm - it was only the good folks helping at the Braemar and Kirriemuir controls and the company for the (dark) final leg that got me through.

I was greeted with the hardest question I have ever been asked in my life at the Kirriemuir HQ though:

Would you like soup or a bridie?

Fortunately the very kind Mrs Eck could see I was in difficulty and then asked me the easiest question:

Would you like both?

:O)
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #1626 on: 05 August, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
Love to see my usual graceful, immaculate, sprightly self made it into the issue.  Ok, that was when I had a blanket over my head, top right, page 51...
Does not play well with others

Phil W

« Reply #1627 on: 05 August, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »
Love to see my usual graceful, immaculate, sprightly self made it into the issue.  Ok, that was when I had a blanket over my head, top right, page 51...

You do appear uncovered elsewhere but glad you made it in via my shapes in blankets shot at Betwys

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1628 on: 05 August, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »
Odd place for Jethro Tull's photie of the 300 from Stornoway!

« Reply #1629 on: 05 August, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »

You do appear uncovered elsewhere but glad you made it in via my shapes in blankets shot at Betwys

Nope that's definitely some haggard old lady on her last legs and not me *denies

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1630 on: 06 August, 2014, 07:46:29 am »
I think I made a comment in the online article wot I wrote about audax that one is unlikely to look ones best in the middle of a hard randonnee ;)  Proved my myself on various pictures I've put up on Facebook.

At least you got in, some of us have been waiting two years or more to get in there  :'(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #1631 on: 06 August, 2014, 08:31:24 am »

My first ever picture in Arrivee! I was the shapeless blanket-covered lump next to you.

« Reply #1632 on: 06 August, 2014, 08:36:33 am »
I'm not sure I could have finished it as a perm - it was only the good folks helping at the Braemar and Kirriemuir controls and the company for the (dark) final leg that got me through.

Company for dark (and wet, and windy) final legs very definitely works both ways. Besides, I'm sure I recall a determination to finish so that you never, ever had to do it again ...

(Is 2016 calling to you yet?)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1633 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:15:11 am »
I think I made a comment in the online article wot I wrote about audax that one is unlikely to look ones best in the middle of a hard randonnee ;)  Proved my myself on various pictures I've put up on Facebook.

At least you got in, some of us have been waiting two years or more to get in there  :'(

I've been an AUK member since the mid 90s and that's my first picture in Arrivee - OK, I don't get off island to ride many events so I suppose I do have a good 'events ridden:Arrivee mugshot ratio'

« Reply #1634 on: 06 August, 2014, 11:54:17 am »

Company for dark (and wet, and windy) final legs very definitely works both ways. Besides, I'm sure I recall a determination to finish so that you never, ever had to do it again ...

Absolutely!

I'd also heartily recommend the Tayside Transgression for anyone disinclined to do Snow Roads as a perm - don't be put off by the lack of AAA points, there are still plenty of hills  :O)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1635 on: 06 August, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »

Absolutely!

I'd also heartily recommend the Tayside Transgression for anyone disinclined to do Snow Roads as a perm - don't be put off by the lack of AAA points, there are still plenty of hills  :O)

There's also Stornoway if you're after a north of the border 300km ;)

« Reply #1636 on: 06 August, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »
Oooooh! Does that mean you're thinking of running them again?

I quite like 300s but not the dark bits. I had thought either a Western isles or Port Tomahawk 300k in June or July would be my best bet

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1637 on: 06 August, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
But it's always there as a permanent.

Dave Pountney once rode the Snow Roads event and permanent back-to-back.  As part of his push to become the first person ever to complete his AAA card.
Iddu OTP did the same thing last year.
Nutter.
No.

"Nutter" would've been ECE'ing the w/e  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1638 on: 06 August, 2014, 02:13:41 pm »
Sounds a bit like a country dance call

"Back to back and ECE
Grab your partner by the knee ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Bugloss

« Reply #1639 on: 08 August, 2014, 11:05:44 am »

Nope that's definitely some haggard old lady on her last legs and not me *denies

He's caught your best side.  Bwahaha!!!!!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1640 on: 08 August, 2014, 11:14:46 am »

So much positive feedback and so many e-mails of support (and I actually enjoyed doing it) so yes, it's all going to happen again :)

« Reply #1641 on: 08 August, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »

He's caught your best side.  Bwahaha!!!!!

« Reply #1642 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:19:18 am »

So much positive feedback and so many e-mails of support (and I actually enjoyed doing it) so yes, it's all going to happen again :)

:thumbsup:

Just need to persuade the family now - I think I might present it as a civil liberties protest against the wee frees ride!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1643 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:38:41 am »
There's also Stornoway if you're after a north of the border 300km ;)

Considering a touring holiday to that area next year (was this year's plan until we discovered the Esbjerg ferry was stopping, so we headed for Scandinavia instead) and the idea of combining it with an audax is very appealing. We'll watch the calendar.

« Reply #1644 on: 21 August, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »
I love the picture on page 14, ideal caption fodder. 'F**k me, that man's looking at my pint'. Was my first thought.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1645 on: 22 August, 2014, 08:50:11 am »
I really liked this edition, particularly the historical ones. It is a good mix. If newbies don't know what has happened beforehand, the pioneers and legends tend to be forgotten.

I'd echo this, really enjoyed it as a relative newbie - especially as it wasn't just spurious 'we started it', it was interesting getting a view of cycling around the time that I was learning talk ;)
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1646 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:44:36 pm »
Arrivee hit the door mat here this morning, and Mrs. BlackSheep has just rushed out and started-up her own media company  :facepalm:

Nice cover pic of Mary-Jane and LL Cool M  :hand:

The 2015 National 400 looks an absolute crackerjack route  :thumbsup: ,
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #1647 on: 14 November, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »
Arrived today in the Centre for the Cotswold.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #1648 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:05:59 pm »
And Number 128 was on my doormat when I got home tonight ... but who wrote the piece on the Dragons and Legends ride on pp4-6?  ???
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #1649 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
James Bradbury.