Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 476161 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1875 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:34:09 pm »
Arrivée is privileged having Tim as one of its editors.

Fully agree with that.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1876 on: 01 February, 2016, 09:53:45 pm »
You mean on top of riding, writing and actually submitting.....?

I'm not talking about the content of the photos, but the actual quality. Some photos look like they were taken on a hamburger.

There just weren't any other photographic materials available in North Carolina  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1877 on: 01 February, 2016, 09:56:26 pm »
You mean on top of riding, writing and actually submitting.....?

I'm not talking about the content of the photos, but the actual quality. Some photos look like they were taken on a hamburger.

There just weren't any other photographic materials available in North Carolina  :facepalm:
It's the gritty, newsreel quality that adds atmosphere.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1878 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:33:50 pm »
Was this the thickest Arrivee evah? Theres a lot of reading - even for those that don't make it to the back pages!

Martin

« Reply #1879 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »
I appear to have woken from a coma, having dreamed the past 10 years.  After all, I'm listed as having ridden my first 200 and SR in 2016 :D

In that case, you probably spent your coma as William.

I appear to have not done much in the AAA sphere either; I suspect this is what happens when 'bots rather than 'umans do the adding up

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1880 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:43:10 pm »
I think the photos are pretty good actually, for the simple reason that they all relate 100% to the article they illustrate.

Mrs Cudzo says it was the pages of lists of names which struck her as boring. (Even understanding what they're for and being able to say "I know him! And her, and him and... ooh, that's me!" I can't see exactly why they're printed, but I suppose collecting things is sort of what makes lots of audaxers tick.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #1881 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »
Mrs Cudzo says it was the pages of lists of names which struck her as boring. (Even understanding what they're for and being able to say "I know him! And her, and him and... ooh, that's me!" I can't see exactly why they're printed, but I suppose collecting things is sort of what makes lots of audaxers tick.)

Until a couple of years ago the lists of names came in a separate publication; as did the Calendar (so 2 separate publications) they decided wisely to save money by combining it in one;

I'd be happy to see all the lists and calendar go online (or print and post on demand for those without 'pooters **) but I still like the mag

** for a fee; insurance companies do; I've been a magazine editor and IMHO the only way to rationalise printed material to everyone is to either charge for it or threaten to withdraw it

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1882 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:33:00 pm »
The list of names is only once a year isn't it? Seems fair enough.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1883 on: 02 February, 2016, 09:44:13 am »
In fact, comparing it to the journal of a professional association Mrs Cudzo belongs to, Arrivee seems to have longer articles with denser text, possibly a slightly more restricted focus, but the illustrations are more relevant to their articles!

This community might not be representative of long-distance cyclists in general, who tend to be far more interested in value for money than good design.  A magazine with lots of white space would soon attract complaints.

I'd be happy to see all the lists and calendar go online ...

Breaking news - the calendar is online  ::-)
I know what you mean, but I think everyone invoved still feels fully committed to the 'accessibility' principle.  To be honest, downloading the calendar and processing it for print is a real chore that I suspect all the editors hate.

As to photos - there are basically three types - roadside 'event' photos taken by a non-participant who has set up at a particular location (I've done a lot of these in the last few years) -
event photos taken 'on the road' by participants, either from the saddle or by sprinting ahead, turning for a head-on pic, then busting a gut to catch up again (I used to do a lot of those when I was fit enough) -
and the ever-present 'control' photos which I personally find completely uninteresting.
The problem with the roadside ones is when you get a page-full that are taken in the same location with the same background - that really irritates me, they may individually all be good portraits but the photographer simply hasn't bothered to think about the 'bigger picture' and just move his feet a bit.
There's also a general distinction between 'picture of a cyclist with nice background' and 'scenic shot including cyclist(s)'.  I have done several cover pics over the years, and they invariably fall into the latter category.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1884 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:30:27 am »
... 'scenic shot including cyclist(s)' ...

or even scenic shot without cyclists when there was a late change of route that the photographer didn't know about

« Reply #1885 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:36:19 am »
I think the church and group shot has got too many telegraph poles and fences in it, and I don't like the thistles in the foreground of the other one. I preferred this shot from FF.

It's very easy to get shots going uphill. A downhill shot of a fast-moving group always gets more points from me. That's Jim Gresty in the Yellow and Green at the back of the group.

« Reply #1886 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:28:39 pm »
I loved the thistles and the telegraph poles but thought the one featuring Jim Gresty (anyone could tell that) had far too many VC167 jerseys in it.

Seriously, COME ON, people!

« Reply #1887 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:44:19 pm »
That's nothing to do with the editors or owt, they can only work with what they're given, more a call to contributors to step yo' game up.

The problem is that in the case of most contributors to Arrivée, you're asking people to understand technical requirements that are outside the realm of their experience. It would be great if someone who really knows about photography could put together some easy-to-follow guidelines for contributors on how to take a picture that will look good in print. That would be a useful thing to put in the mag.

I know the basics of the production process - converting pics to CMYK and making sure they're of a high enough resolution for print - but the technicalities of actually taking a good quality pic in the first place are, tbh, beyond me, and I don't do repro stuff. I'm better at the words side of things.

I'm just grateful to anyone who takes the time and trouble to submit reports and/or pictures. It's all good. Arrivée isn't a commercial publication and shouldn't aspire to be - it's really more of a highly polished newsletter and works well in that capacity. We have to accept its limitations.

No man, nothing close to as complex as that, I just mean the quality of the images i.e. pixelated and that. We talked about this before!  :)

I'll do a guideline piece for your issue if you want, how many words?

red marley

« Reply #1888 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:31:07 pm »
I like the thistles cover shot of Frankie's Snake Pass), mainly because it's got me in it. I'd been audaxing for less than a year at that point and had assumed that it must be normal to make it to the cover when you went for a ride.

« Reply #1889 on: 03 February, 2016, 08:37:13 am »
Having brain fade, mine hasn't arrived who do I go to, to ask for another ??  :thumbsup: :)
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #1890 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:08:11 am »
I loved the thistles and the telegraph poles but thought the one featuring Jim Gresty (anyone could tell that) had far too many VC167 jerseys in it.

That's not possible :)

« Reply #1891 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
Having brain fade, mine hasn't arrived who do I go to, to ask for another ??  :thumbsup: :)

Membership @ audax dot uk,  or pm Delph Cyclist on here.

« Reply #1892 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:08:17 am »

Seriously, COME ON, people!

I looked through the LEL 2005 video when Andy Corless mentioned that Jim was in it. I put those bits on the thread about him. I also spotted him in a sequence around Castle Howard. On the Arrivee cover there's a motorbike riding up the hill, that's Dave, my mate who films a lot of the arty stuff in our videos. He was crossing over with frankie at that point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCsFYLzGwg

The long flat section from the Thorne start meant that bunches were still together through that section of the LEL, so it yielded a lot of good footage and shots from a relatively small field. The tendency towards hilly rides has meant that fields are very split up, and you have to cover a lot of ground to get a variety of shots, or stand in one place for a very long time.

Francis took a shot of me carrying two cameras, while being filmed by Dave Robinson in Coxwold.

« Reply #1893 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:11:31 am »

Membership @ audax dot uk,  or pm Delph Cyclist on here.
Thanks for that.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #1894 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:18:42 pm »
Arrivee is an absolute disgrace....totally discriminatory.....in 131 editions I can't recall a single recumbent on the front cover. Where are the Wobblies of Yesteryear?

'Oppressed of Nethy Bridge'

Haven't checked all editions and if I'm wrong I know I'm going to have to eat a big slice of humble pie
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

hillbilly

« Reply #1895 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
Arrivee is an absolute disgrace....totally discriminatory.....in 131 editions I can't recall a single recumbent on the front cover. Where are the Wobblies of Yesteryear?

'Oppressed of Nethy Bridge'

Haven't checked all editions and if I'm wrong I know I'm going to have to eat a big slice of humble pie

Edition 91.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1896 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
No, I think you're right.  (ed 91 is a bit 'marginal' !)

Francis took a shot of me carrying two cameras, while being filmed by Dave Robinson in Coxwold.

I should say that Dave and I spent hours at that location and were careful to stay out of each other's shots - so this one was entirely intentional.

Street furniture - I tend to see it as a 'feature' - got no choice really.
So that 'green' cover shot at Castle Howard, was actually composed around quite a significant bit of street furniture - in fact I pre-focussed on it - which the Arrivee Editor subsequently cloned out! 
(My permission was asked, and although I didn't agree with it, I didn't forbid it either - I'm not proud.)

The original version - which I prefer ...

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1897 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »
[

Edition 91.

BUM ....on a train to Edinburgh so can't check ....feeling slightly less oppressed...more marginalised.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1898 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »
I just had a look at the cover in question and Hillbilly is right - there is a recumbent in the picture. However, it is hidden away at the back of a group of riders (including one or two familiar faces) on real bikes, and almost off the edge of the page...

http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/covers/a091.jpg
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1899 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:44:32 pm »
feeling slightly less oppressed...more marginalised.

[...] it is hidden away at the back of a group of riders [...] on real bikes

There, that should give you the oppressed feelings back again.