Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 476204 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1925 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:39:47 pm »
The hand signal thing is something they seem to do.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1926 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:12:46 pm »
I saw that PBP cartoon, though I did not remember too many japanese ladies with unfeasibly large breasts and short skirts riding.  All very odd.
Wrong end of the ride. Or too much sleep.

(My hallucinations only extended to boys from the indian subcontinent on kick scooters in purple jerseys.)

L-R (rear)
HK, Cathy Brown, bhoot, Denise Booth, fboab, Anne Learmonth.

Foreground: Virginia McGee

The artist has reversed my hand signal.

;D

As an aside, I was impressed by the numbers of younger women riding PBP from countries like Japan, Taiwan etc.* 

Younger is not a large percentage generally in AUK events and women are even smaller sub-set of that small part of our participants.  I would dearly love to see that change.

*sadly the participants from Asia had a fairly high DNF rate overall, and certainly a lot of the riders I saw still heading to Brest over the Roc, well out of time, were women from Asia.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1927 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:31:54 pm »
*sadly the participants from Asia had a fairly high DNF rate overall
The Indian lads who packed at Villaines-la-Juhel had been through a terrible night. They'd never before experienced riding in temperatures as low as 10 degrees centigrade.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #1928 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:40:52 pm »
*sadly the participants from Asia had a fairly high DNF rate overall
The Indian lads who packed at Villaines-la-Juhel had been through a terrible night. They'd never before experienced riding in temperatures as low as 10 degrees centigrade.

There was something on an Indian FB group about the amount of shit they'd had to go through to get visas to travel, which can't have made preparation any easier.

« Reply #1929 on: 05 February, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
5 Degrees C is the lowest temperature I've seen quoted. It was the hills as well as the temperatures which caused problems, along with the lack of vegetarian options.
I got quite a few interviews from Asian riders, I might write them up for Arrivee. It might be useful for LEL.

« Reply #1930 on: 05 February, 2016, 03:37:57 pm »
5 Degrees C is the lowest temperature I've seen quoted. It was the hills as well as the temperatures which caused problems, along with the lack of vegetarian options.
I got quite a few interviews from Asian riders, I might write them up for Arrivee. It might be useful for LEL.

Hills, rain, chance of low temperatures in summer and few options other than meat or fish dishes in restaurants.

If I had to choose somewhere in France that ticked all these options high on my list would be Bretagne.

I suspect the LEL route could prove similar? Better warn them this time?

« Reply #1931 on: 05 February, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »
The main similarity between the LEL and the PBP is in the avoidance of towns. On PBP the marked route means that riders don't want to leave that route for fear of getting lost. But every time we return, there are fewer shops on the route. The shops are on roundabouts on new bypasses.

One of the oddities is that facilities are better in the remoter areas. Sizun on PBP and Alston on LEL.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1932 on: 05 February, 2016, 04:51:17 pm »
In a demonstration that audax is a small world attracting similar types of fanatic/dedicated enthusiast worldwide, here's an Indian thread on PBP, which starts by linking to YACF: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/bangalore-bikers/pbp$202015/bangalore-bikers/2j1UaM0J35s/-Cpvddf5BwAJ
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1933 on: 06 February, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
Arrivée is privileged having Tim as one of its editors.
A Club is only as good as the sum of those who contribute to its functioning. Concur Tim is one of those who keeps us all riding along the right lanes.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1934 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:45:23 pm »
I saw that PBP cartoon, though I did not remember too many japanese ladies with unfeasibly large breasts and short skirts riding.  All very odd.

That's because you went haring off at great speed. Those of us hanging around at the back got to see PBP life in its many and varied forms.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #1935 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:32:39 am »
Anyone uploaded anything to the Mediafire account recently? Anything I try and upload gets to 14% and loops back to zero  :-\

(Please bare in mind the point of this post is that if I make it, it'll upload fine next time I try  :facepalm:)

« Reply #1936 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:04:18 am »
Dale, I have (about three days ago).  I think I used drag and drop but I can't remember and it didn't arrive first time, in spite of the indication that it had completed 100%.  I just did it again and it worked the second time.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1937 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:58:41 am »
Tbh, I'm not a fan of Mediafire - not least because editors don't get automatically notified when stuff is uploaded and not everyone remembers to drop the editor an email to let them know... It's also quite restrictive on file sizes.

Might be easier to send stuff directly to the relevant editor by Wetransfer or somesuch. I'm happy for people to share stuff with me via Dropbox or Google Drive as well. I think Tim likes to receive stuff by Dropbox if you're sending it for his attention, but worth checking with him.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1938 on: 04 March, 2016, 11:30:22 am »
I used it recently (though not via the AUK interface) for some very big files and it was fine.  I have had the 100% thing where the file doesn't appear.  On retry-ing it, it seems to upload the last 2 bytes !  In general, if an upload is interrupted, it will just resume where it left off next time.

There's no real difference between Mediafire and Dropbox or Google Drive, if, after uploading, you visit the Mediafire site and right-click for a link, just like you would for Dropbox.  For example, here is a link to the most recently-uploaded file (a small jpg)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cjovhtddb388y9u/The%20Van%20of%20Delights.jpg
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1939 on: 04 March, 2016, 12:07:14 pm »
Tbh, I'm not a fan of Mediafire - not least because editors don't get automatically notified when stuff is uploaded and not everyone remembers to drop the editor an email to let them know... It's also quite restrictive on file sizes.

Might be easier to send stuff directly to the relevant editor by Wetransfer or somesuch. I'm happy for people to share stuff with me via Dropbox or Google Drive as well. I think Tim likes to receive stuff by Dropbox if you're sending it for his attention, but worth checking with him.

I think this is the new plan. I've managed to upload everything (i.e. it says completed), but there's nothing showing in the online folder.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1940 on: 04 March, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »
I used it recently (though not via the AUK interface) for some very big files and it was fine.

OK, I'll take your word for it! I know some people have had problems in the past but maybe that's to do with other factors than Mediafire itself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1941 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »
Seems to be working fine today  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1942 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:38:42 pm »
Well it has in the Outer Hebrides :)

Great front cover and article Deano, thanks  :thumbsup:

and a great article on MacNasty too  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1943 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:47:01 pm »
I have received mine today in outer Londonton but not yet opened it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1944 on: 28 April, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »
At least five forumites in it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1945 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
that mcnasty is a classic - well written, humorous, pacy. a cracking read.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #1946 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »
Postman Mike woke me up from my dreaded lurgi induced snooze to issue mine unto me.

Glanced at the McNasty article. What is a "drum up spot?" I've heard them mentioned before in a previous issue but have no idea what one is, not why it would require a "bonfire"...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1947 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:32:59 pm »
Drumming up is brewing of TEA.
Our Scottish brethren perform this al fresco in the café-poor wilds of Barbaria.

« Reply #1948 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:33:33 pm »
Fame at last on the center page .

At least I think it is me , definitely my bike  but the guy riding it looks a bit fatter and older.....

Had to chuckle at McNasties contribution. ;D

« Reply #1949 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:34:38 pm »
 To drum up -An ancient Scottish tradition of lighting a real  fire and boiling a kettle for real tea.
Long gone south of the border due to the laws of trespass, theft and elf and safety being more rigorously applied .
Some people get upset if you so much as sit on the grass nowadays.