Author Topic: Sky - gaming the system?  (Read 189300 times)

Re: Sky - gaming the system?
« Reply #450 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
Its what happens when the lies stop working

« Reply #451 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:15:18 pm »
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38573615

Brailsford talking more bollocks

Lol. Yeah. He's not answering a single one of the questions.

« Reply #452 on: 13 January, 2017, 09:19:46 am »
It's very hard to see how he can continue now.

« Reply #453 on: 13 January, 2017, 09:32:53 am »
He's pretty isolated. Whether Froome distancing himself is a mutually-agreed tactic we may never know. I dont think anybody is behind him. Wiggins is just hiding. Meanwhile, Marcel Kittel is telling it like it is.

« Reply #454 on: 13 January, 2017, 09:42:33 am »
While I must admit I find the whole thing very amusing since the whiter then white thing has always pee'd me off, probably because I'm so cynical, I wouldn't want to see the death of the team since I do think it would be a massive body blow to the sport.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #455 on: 13 January, 2017, 11:21:22 am »
While I must admit I find the whole thing very amusing since the whiter then white thing has always pee'd me off, probably because I'm so cynical, I wouldn't want to see the death of the team since I do think it would be a massive body blow to the sport.

It's a shame that it tarnishes the whole of British Cycling. 
Whether there's truth in the rumours or not, Brailsford  is seen as "British Cycling", not just team Sky's principle.

I'm fairly sure this will end up as being morally wrong rather than illegal but, as implied above, that makes "We're whiter than white" Brailsford's position untenable.
Let's be frank.  Froome knows they were doing things that were, at the least, morally wrong.

It certainly seems a lot of effort doesn't it?, to transport a package that nobody has any idea what was inside.  Maybe it's sandwiches.  Maybe it's just acceptable to take medication without knowing what it is.  I mean who knew that the cycling authorities liked to know what medication you were taking? 

I have no problem in seeing any of Murdoch's ventures fail and I would be happy to see British riders being successful under another banner.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #456 on: 13 January, 2017, 05:40:21 pm »
Yes. It does unfortunately tarnish everyone in BC as well, with the exception of women, as they were clearly ignored by Brailsford.

« Reply #457 on: 13 January, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
In so as we now know that Wiggins used banned substances to win races, via an abuse of the TUE system, all under the aegis of Brailsford, it begs the question as to whether Brailsford employed similar tactics with all those who have ridden under his management in Team GB.

« Reply #458 on: 13 January, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
In so as we now know that Wiggins used banned substances to win races, via an abuse of the TUE system, all under the aegis of Brailsford, it begs the question as to whether Brailsford employed similar tactics with all those who have ridden under his management in Team GB.

A substance isn't banned if it is used under a TUE . What we do know is that very few TUEs are allowed, only after detailed evidence is independently reviewed. Many more are refused. If the TUE process is abused, it isn't by teams or riders, it could only be by independent qualified reviewers, who by definition have nothing to gain from a decision either way.

« Reply #459 on: 13 January, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »
We know the TUE process wasnt followed for Froome's TUE in 2014.

« Reply #460 on: 13 January, 2017, 06:22:29 pm »
If the TUE process is abused, it isn't by teams or riders, it could only be by independent qualified reviewers, who by definition have nothing to gain from a decision either way.

Mario Zorzoli have already been accused by Rasmussen for being involved with doping and how do we know he didn't get a brown envelope for his (lack of) effort?

« Reply #461 on: 20 January, 2017, 05:21:51 pm »
British cycling, rather than sky, but posting here as it follows the thread

British Cycling: Ian Drake steps down

Sounds like some someones turned on the fan and is taking aim.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #462 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:25:17 pm »
I've been browsing the Rapha sale; I have no idea why, but loads of the Team Wiggins gear is amongst the most heavily discounted.

( I nearly bought some, but couldn't stomach the SKy logo on my arse. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #463 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
Are you saying the sun doesn't shine out of the Sky?

I'll get my coat.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Relayer

« Reply #464 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:02:06 am »
Never heard a Gold and Silver at the Olympics to be called 'nowhere'.

There was no Gold and Silvedr at the Olympics prior to 2012.

Kenny didnt come from nowhere.....but this is beside the point. The thread is about Sky and in particular Wiggins road wins. 

British Cycling begat Team Sky begat Team Wiggins .... all the same to me.

« Reply #465 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:10:28 am »
Kenny won Gold and Silver in 2008 Olympics (and 7 World and European championship medals prior to 2012 Olympics) so you need to concede that you were mistaken.

And no, Wiggins's TUE and mystery package has no bearing whatsoever on even Froome or his Sky team mates, let alone Team Wiggins or Team GB.

Of course they might have cheated too, but its not a given just because Wiggins did.

Relayer

« Reply #466 on: 21 January, 2017, 09:41:22 am »
Kenny won Gold and Silver in 2008 Olympics (and 7 World and European championship medals prior to 2012 Olympics) so you need to concede that you were mistaken.

And no, Wiggins's TUE and mystery package has no bearing whatsoever on even Froome or his Sky team mates, let alone Team Wiggins or Team GB.

Of course they might have cheated too, but its not a given just because Wiggins did.

Having checked again,I now see that he won Gold in the Team Sprint, and a Silver in the Sprint ... so yes, I was mistaken.   

Going off now to wipe this egg off my face.  :-[

« Reply #467 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:36:28 pm »
Cookie seems to have torn into just about everyone  :demon:

« Reply #468 on: 24 January, 2017, 06:16:16 pm »
Yep. Here it is:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/culture-media-and-sport-committee/combatting-doping-in-sport/written/45898.pdf

Will make for interesting reading for all those stuffed shirts who posted early on this thread, banging on about rules and the implementation of them by the bodies charged with their implementation  ;)

« Reply #469 on: 24 January, 2017, 06:34:13 pm »
The comparison of Simon Cope to Simon Lillistone and the reference to the Linda Mac team makes her thoughts plain.

I also note BC's response only addresses the gender imbalance issue, nothing on governance or PED's. Head in the sand stuff.

« Reply #470 on: 24 January, 2017, 07:45:24 pm »
Cookie seems to have torn into just about everyone  :demon:

Torn? I think she used something like an apple corer. She excoriated them all a new one, that's for sure. Epic.

« Reply #471 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »
I'd take issue with this.

The fundamental problem appears to be that Sports Governance in the UK has not moved sufficiently from a model that suited small-time amateur club operations with small National Federation (NF) budgets funded out of modest levies on activities by participants, to that of an organisation responsible for the equitable distribution of millions of pounds of public money each year. Methods of oversight and consequent accountability are not effective.
Policies, rules and regulations are based on the NF, in my case BC, being the ultimate arbiter of everything to do with the sport,

CTT still functions as a National Federation funded out of rider levies, and is not subject to British Cycling. A large part of cycle sport in Britain is independent, and has a tradition of looking upon professional cycling as suspect in principle. It also practices sexual equality, with mixed fields.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #472 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:46:20 pm »
CTT still functions as a National Federation funded out of rider levies, and is not subject to British Cycling... It also practices sexual equality, with mixed fields.

Audax UK likewise, of course.

I suspect all the HPV stuff is much the same, but they're even weirder than time-triallists and audaxers.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #473 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:59:10 pm »
There is crossover though. Who can forget the Zipp 1080 controversy on the Levens 10 course in 2009? He's always been a wrong un that Wiggins.

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/sport/4462700.Cycling___Olympian_Wiggins_runs_in_trouble_at_Levens/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #474 on: 25 January, 2017, 09:39:38 am »
Thank goodness for needle and thread!

If her allegations are correct, WADA is not only toothless but set up as a smokescreen.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.