Author Topic: What's to dislike about Audaxes.  (Read 40830 times)

LEE

Re: What's to dislike about Audaxes.
« Reply #100 on: 08 April, 2011, 08:49:41 am »
The near-obligatory climb immediately after a lovely cafe stop.

The Dean 300 is a useful reminder of this as you get back on your bike in Chepstow High-street, trying to digest an All-Day-Breakfast  to be confronted by the sudden realisation that you are at river level and the Severn Bridge crossing is far from river level.

Alouicious

« Reply #101 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:29:38 pm »
Queueing for 20 mins while the cafe staff make 2 fancy coffees for the "connoisseurs" in front of me.

There's 'fix' for that.

Get your card stamped and then go on to an eatery that you've found while planning your route. Usually a 'Greasey Joe's' chuck wagon in a lay-by. Instant coffee.

And sausage & egg baps.

« Reply #102 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:47:20 pm »
Queueing for 20 mins while the cafe staff make 2 fancy coffees for the "connoisseurs" in front of me.

There's 'fix' for that.

Get your card stamped and then go on to an eatery that you've found while planning your route. Usually a 'Greasey Joe's' chuck wagon in a lay-by. Instant coffee.

Except where there's no stamp and you're supposed to be collecting a receipt from that cafe (and there are no other places nearby to get another receipt from).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

AndyH

« Reply #103 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »
then go on to an eatery that you've found while planning your route

I usually let the organiser plan my route. I then follow it around the best lanes they can find.

Alouicious

« Reply #104 on: 08 April, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »

There's 'fix' for that.

Except where there's no stamp and you're supposed to be collecting a receipt from that cafe (and there are no other places nearby to get another receipt from).

Clever organisers in the Midlands print out a couple of sheets of labels. They take them to the cafe beforehand and the riders remove a sticky label and affix it onto the brevet card.
Then we can be on our way in no time at all.

The other 'fix' is...

Let the show-offs and 'fly boys' get well ahead while you amble up to the control to breeze through totally relaxed.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #105 on: 08 April, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
Backseat Audaxers*

*no I don't mean Stokers

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #106 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:16:19 pm »
Altitude points on BP's  GRIN

(edited to remove the smiley, cos given the tone of some comments in here, some might not take my post seriously.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:27:46 pm »
Fixers who think they deserve a point for a pan-flat BP.  ;D

(edited to add the smiley, cos given the tone of some comments in here, some might take my post seriously. )

(edited to admit that I can't trump Toby's edit)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Billy Weir

« Reply #108 on: 08 April, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »
The consistency of sudocreme.  It just feels wrong - somewhere between a solid and a liquid.  Not only that, but on application early of a chilly morning, it has an effect not unlike that of waxing strip.  And it has a slightly unsettling smell.  Definitely not a case of "I love the smell of sudocreme in the morning".

Alouicious

« Reply #109 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:09:21 pm »
A 'point' is awarded for every 100km ridden in a Randonneur.

There's a list of points winners on the website, starting at 50 points in the season.

I appreciate there are many AUK members who set this list as a season's goal, and good on them.

Its 'each to his own' and mine is collecting badges.

I have chatted with lots of riders who ride 200s, 300s etc every weekend. It is their hobby and I congratulate them.
Riders I speak to on Randos don't mind at all when I tell them I ride 5 or 6 calendar events each season and prefer half day 100s. If they are thinking I'm a 'part timer', that's up to them but I pay my dues and enjoy my riding. That's what makes Audax worthwhile.

I doubt if I will ever appear on the points list. What is important to me is the availability of riding a 5 hour 100 at the drop of a hat, courtesy of the DIY Organiser.

In gaining the R300 badge and R1000 series badge, I needed to ride two 300 randos. They were done and I now have the badges. There are still Populaire badges I haven't got. My enjoyment will continue for a few years yet.

I admire the tenacity of overnight riders. Its just not my thing within Audax. I get plenty of night-time riding getting to work every day between September and April. ;)

Alouicious

« Reply #110 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:12:42 pm »
The consistency of sudocreme.  It just feels wrong - somewhere between a solid and a liquid.  Not only that, but on application early of a chilly morning, it has an effect not unlike that of waxing strip.  And it has a slightly unsettling smell.  Definitely not a case of "I love the smell of sudocreme in the morning".

You should be thankful its not non-Newtonian. ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #111 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »
There's a list of points winners on the website, starting at 50 points in the season.

I doubt if I will ever appear on the points list.

So you don't think you'll ever get any points?

I'm on the points list and I've only got 10 points.
It is simpler than it looks.

border-rider

« Reply #112 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
A 'point' is awarded for every 100km ridden in a Randonneur.

Only over 200k, mon ami

I appreciate there are many AUK members who set this list as a season's goal, and good on them.

Its 'each to his own' and mine is collecting badges.

My suspicion is that people have all sorts of goals and personal incentives. A handful will win trophies for points or AAA, or other things, but many will have personal goals of getting Randonneur 5000 and 10,000 awards or Super Randonneur awards.  Then there are the AUK and ACP Brevet 5000s and the Brevet 25,000 etc which require a whole mix of rides.  Others manage to get round a 200 every month for the RRTY. These all require BR and BRM events, of course.  Do people do them for the badge or the experience ? Dunno, but I'm not sure it's so very different from what you do.

Audax is all about providing structure to riding - not just events and validation but also routes, company and incentives.  It's ace.

Alouicious

« Reply #113 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »
I've got to get rid of 8 MidMesh cards. I might ride a couple of 200s later in the summer.

06:00 start, 17:00 finish, back in time to cook Dad's evening meal.

He can make porridge in the microwave, but I daren't let him loose on the gas hob...  :hand:

PS. I've been to the bike shop this afternoon to watch the spokes glinting. ( that's the saying, but now they are mostly black, I guess its 'look at the alloy gleaming' ). Really soothes me down.  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #114 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »
Audax is all about providing structure to riding - not just events and validation but also routes, company and incentives.  It's ace.

+1

« Reply #115 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:34:24 pm »

I've managed without for quite a while. The arse seems to have got less tender with age.

Alouicious

« Reply #116 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:39:12 pm »

+1

Can't agree more.

After being posted to foreign lands, on return to Blighty, AUK was at the top of the list for immediate resumption of activities.

Alouicious

« Reply #117 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:42:11 pm »
What I really, really DETEST about Audax is that sickly feeling at the finish of a calendar ride of "Is it two weeks to wait for the next".

Billy Weir

« Reply #118 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »
Audax is all about providing structure to riding - not just events and validation but also routes, company and incentives.

And cake.

It's ace.

+4,507

DanialW

« Reply #119 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »
I love Sudocreme.

Has anyone tried Assos arse cream? That has a touch of menthol in it, which makes for a deeply unsettling experience on application.

Works though.

Alouicious

« Reply #120 on: 08 April, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
I love Sudocreme.

Has anyone tried Assos arse cream? That has a touch of menthol in it, which makes for a deeply unsettling experience on application.

Works though.

The last potion I smeared on my private parts was Dura-glit.

Have I spelled that correct?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 08 April, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »
I love Sudocreme.

Works though.

The last potion I smeared on my private parts was Dura-glit.

Have I spelled that correct?

Were you on the Brass Monkey?

« Reply #122 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

I've managed without for quite a while. The arse seems to have got less tender with age.

+1 (for the first bit about managing without, I can't testify to the age thing).

I smeared it on for the first few rides because I'd read enough people talking about it that it seemed necessary. I forgot to apply it for my 3rd 200 and didn't notice anything bad happen so I've never applied it again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #123 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »
I've never used it myself either; never felt the need.

I suspect it is non-Newtonian, though, not that that should be an issue

« Reply #124 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
I suspect it is non-Newtonian...

Does that mean it defies gravity? Perhaps I'm missing a trick. Hills are getting harder.