Author Topic: What's to dislike about Audaxes.  (Read 40821 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: What's to dislike about Audaxes.
« Reply #125 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »
It's all about flow-properties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #126 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:41:51 pm »
I thought Bag Balm was the stuff? 

So I'm told.  My body is an unguent-free zone.  :sick:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #127 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:53:04 pm »
I've not used Sudocrem. I tried it once. It HURT! Things that weren't hurty hurt. Never again.

Martin

« Reply #128 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:56:35 pm »
just a thought people;

the top 4 non sticky threads on this board are not connected with any of this season's events; and it's probably the busiest AUK month in 4 years. I imagine we are almost all going to be out this weekend, so let's get back to business eh?  :)

« Reply #129 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »
just a thought people;

the top 4 non sticky threads on this board are not connected with any of this season's events; and it's probably the busiest AUK month in 4 years. I imagine we are almost all going to be out this weekend, so let's get back to business eh?  :)

Spoilsport.

« Reply #130 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »
I have used Assos arse cream quite a lot since starting cycling.

I am finding that now my arse is clearly made of leather because I can ride 200k on a brand new Brooks without noticing anything untoward that I probably don't need the cream any more. There was definitely a time when I did need it though. It makes your arse feel really cold when you first go out in the winter, it seems to be made of something weird that retains a 'wet' feeling all day whilst remaining cool and never seeming to warm up. Personally I think it is about having a good chamois rather than a good cream. I will be tempted to use it on the really long rides coming up though just in case I regret not doing!

« Reply #131 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »
I have used Assos arse cream quite a lot since starting cycling.

I am finding that now my arse is clearly made of leather because I can ride 200k on a brand new Brooks without noticing anything untoward that I probably don't need the cream any more. There was definitely a time when I did need it though. It makes your arse feel really cold when you first go out in the winter, it seems to be made of something weird that retains a 'wet' feeling all day whilst remaining cool and never seeming to warm up. Personally I think it is about having a good chamois rather than a good cream. I will be tempted to use it on the really long rides coming up though just in case I regret not doing!

Probably too much detail  :o  :facepalm:, though interesting nonetheless   :-*

« Reply #132 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:40:52 pm »
I prefer the smell of Bepanthen Kamilosan, probably because it reminds me of my boys as that's what we used on them when they were babies. I don't think I need it, but along with leaving my big lock at home, it's part of what signifies to me that I am going for a "proper" ride.

I suspect these barrier creams become more useful the sweatier and saltier you are. I am never very sweaty, (I have happily worn the winter weight yacf jersey on a 200 on the hottest day of the year) and haven't ridden more than a 300 yet. I always pack a tube in case things get a bit raw, but it's never happened. Rather have it in the bag than not though, just in case.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #133 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:50:09 am »
I put on sudocrem before I set off for any hot weather 200 and any ride over 200 regardless of weather.  I'm convinced it helped me on my 400 last year, which was a really hot day (I just wish I'd taken a bit extra along to top up later in the ride).

I've never tried any alternatives, but we still haven't run out of Sudocrem from the kids' time in nappies yet.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Alouicious

« Reply #134 on: 09 April, 2011, 07:18:42 am »
I still have half a pot of Chamois Crème somewhere from when I had real Chamois leather patches in my shorts. In fact, I have a pair of bibshorts ( photo on application ) with a real chamois patch and BUTTON UP BRACES  :o  in my wardrobe.

Chamois crème was necessary to apply after washing to ‘supple up’ the leather, cus if not, it went crisp and cracked.

After getting the chamois soft again, immediately after ‘semi-drying’ on the windowsill, the crème would remain and double up as a lubricant and bum soother during the next ride.

I guess the sudocreme thing is a progression from ‘the old days’.

These days, I wear Lusso ProGel shorts and apply nowt to them or my rear end.

It MUST be an age thing.

The only potion that I use is Boots Double Action Athlete’s foot cream, and that goes between my toes.
This stuff is also useful for those who get Jock Itch, a similar fungal infection to Athletes foot that affects the groin.

I got this info off an Irish skin Doctor, Dermot O’Logical.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #135 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:34:01 pm »

The only potion that I use is Boots Double Action Athlete’s foot cream, and that goes between my toes.
This stuff is also useful for those who get Jock Itch, a similar fungal infection to Athletes foot that affects the groin.

I got this info off an Irish skin Doctor, Dermot O’Logical.

Aka CLOTrimazole

Srsly Canesten/clotrimazole is good for athlete's foot, jock dhobi itch, thrush and ringworm...

« Reply #136 on: 09 April, 2011, 02:32:45 pm »
I do tend to cream myself up (sudocrem is my balm of choice, though I do have some Assos minty arse lard that came with some shorts). I only bother on 400k+ rides, and then it's really only needed on the hot ones or multi day rides (like my usual back-to-back 400k end of January rides that are definitely NOT hot!). I survived LEL and Mille Cymru with only minor marking and soreness.

Alouicious

« Reply #137 on: 10 April, 2011, 01:16:57 pm »
Fixers who think they deserve a point for a pan-flat BP.  ;D

(edited to add the smiley, cos given the tone of some comments in here, some might take my post seriously. )

(edited to admit that I can't trump Toby's edit)

Went on a hilly 100 this morning before lunch.

Where's my Godamned Grimpy point?  >:(

That photo was taken about a mile from Avon Park Drag Strip south of Stratford upon Avon.
Which makes me think.
130 up-and-downs of the dragway should be 100km.
What a wonderful thing 'DIY by GPS' is.....

260 traverses will get me two points for a 200km 'DIY by GPS'.
Better take my camping stove in the back of my car with the bike.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #138 on: 10 April, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »
I am finding that now my arse is clearly made of leather
Yet another post that is meaningless without a photograph.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #139 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:24:20 pm »
Sportive / club / any other riders who turn up without a routesheet, who then proceed to zip along at the front of the field without a clue where they are going causing havoc for everyone else - or, maybe slightly more sensibly but equally annoyingly, have to sit at the back of the pack being towed all day.

« Reply #140 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »
That photo was taken about a mile from Avon Park Drag Strip south of Stratford upon Avon.
Which makes me think.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (regs, handbook, AUK website) that multiple loops of the same course (or controls) aren't allowed in Audaxes but I can't find a reference to it.

Otherwise I'd love to do 19 laps of Richmond Park as a DIY 200.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #141 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
- or, maybe slightly more sensibly but equally annoyingly, have to sit at the back of the pack being towed all day.
+1

last summer I did a BP with a huge field, and several times riders would cruise up to the back of me+otherAUK, and just sit on our wheels, grinning inanely, not even saying hello. No routesheet in sight. (i would have minded a lot less if they were struggling lanterns rouges)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #142 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

I seem to remember reading somewhere (regs, handbook, AUK website) that multiple loops of the same course (or controls) aren't allowed in Audaxes but I can't find a reference to it.

It's a 'shouldn't' rather than a 'must not', but you'd be unlikely to get a BR of that description past any of the fat controllers.

border-rider

« Reply #143 on: 11 April, 2011, 04:14:24 pm »
Mersey Roads ?

:demon:

« Reply #144 on: 11 April, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »
Mersey Roads ?

They also publish finishing times. Naughty.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #145 on: 11 April, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »
Mersey Roads ?

It comes under special rules and dispensations governing going round in circles.

« Reply #146 on: 11 April, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »
Mersey Roads ?

Surely the Mersey Roads finishing times are all about 24 hours after the start time, even for the fastest riders?  :)

SteveS

• What's over the next hill?
« Reply #147 on: 11 April, 2011, 05:23:54 pm »
The only thing I dislike is commercial controls where the cafe closes half an hour before before the control does. Of course that's not a problem for most of the field.

« Reply #148 on: 11 April, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »
I had that last year on the Gladestry 200km - even at the front-ish of the field - we arrived really drenched and cold at 5.35 pm "sorry, we closed at 5.30". :sick:

Alouicious

« Reply #149 on: 11 April, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »
Which makes me think.

Not permitted.

Reg 5.7 "through a series of controls"

Reg 5.9 "excursion on the public highway"

AUK Guidelines

5.  "Off road events have a route consisting of not less than 50% designated Bridleway, Byway or any other right of way open to cyclists as is acceptable to the U.K. Events Secretary as Off Road or Rough Stuff."

So its 0% designated cycleway open to cyclists.

What's the speed limit in Richmond Park?  20mph. That should be possible, it's a designated cycleway.   ;)