Author Topic: Terry Pratchett dies aged 66  (Read 7168 times)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Terry Pratchett dies aged 66
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:22:50 pm »
 :'(
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
 :(  :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »
How sad. :(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:25:12 pm »
Damn, that's sad.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »
As one of his more famous characters might say:

OH BUGGER!

Not altogether unexpected, but very sad nonetheless.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:30:31 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »
THIS WAY, SIR ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:40:17 pm »
THIS WAY, SIR ...
;D
The best tribute so far.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »
I think Granny Weatherwax might have something to say about that :(

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:47:15 pm »
I never really got on with his books, but he seemed a really nice chap.

« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:58:55 pm »
Buggerit  :'(

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:17:46 pm »
I powered up a new PC earlier, and as is my wont, brought up the BBC News webpage to test the browser and networking, and this came up as Breaking News. :(

I started reading many of his books, too many years back, and used to occasionally see replies from him in threads that I was participating in, on the alt.fan.pratchett newsgroup.  Even then, not many authors participated in newsgroups discussing their work, but he did, and was excellent and amusing.

It was horrible when Iain M Banks passed on a couple of years back, but this is worse.  As others have said, not entirely unexpected, but not something I wanted to see, nevertheless.

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »
Very sad to hear about this earlier. I was lucky enough to meet him once, and he was a thoroughly excellent chap - I can't think of anyone who has more time and energy to give to their fans.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:47:12 pm »
Very sad to hear about this earlier. I was lucky enough to meet him once, and he was a thoroughly excellent chap - I can't think of anyone who has more time and energy to give to their fans.

+1

His books kept me sane (FCVO sane) through some fairly miserable times.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:51:25 pm »

+1

His books kept me sane (FCVO sane) through some fairly miserable times.

I met/was in the same room with him a few times at various Eastercons - both him and Iain (M) Banks were ever present back then and were equally generous to their fans in terms of the time they devoted to them.

I was privileged (as were all present) to get early Terry reading previews of several scenes from his books - memorably Guards, Guards and Witches Abroad.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
I never really got on with his books, but he seemed a really nice chap.

That's precisely how I feel.

My younger son graduated from Tolkien to Pratchett and we have a large collection of Pratchett on a shelf in Graham's old bedroom. I tried several times to read them, but they just didn't click for me. That's a bit of a surprise to me because I read a good deal of Douglas Adams, who I would have thought was a similar genre. Adams, of course, died even younger.

I recall one amusing anecdote about Terry Pratchett which I think I heard on the radio. He had gone, with a friend, to a record shop to buy one of these new-fangled CD things. He was a very indecisive man, apparently, and couldn't make up his mind which of two CDs he should buy. He hummed and harred for quite some time until his friend lost patience.

"For Christ's sake, Terry, you are a multi-millionaire. Why don't you buy them both?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:45:37 pm »
Bah and, moreover, buggrit >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:02:38 pm »
... I recall one amusing anecdote about Terry Pratchett which I think I heard on the radio. He had gone, with a friend, to a record shop to buy one of these new-fangled CD things. He was a very indecisive man, apparently, and couldn't make up his mind which of two CDs he should buy. He hummed and harred for quite some time until his friend lost patience.

"For Christ's sake, Terry, you are a multi-millionaire. Why don't you buy them both?"

:)

It's far better that we remember him with grins and chuckles, than depression and crying into our beer.

Thanks for that Wow, it made me smile.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #20 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »
 :-[ Sad feeling.
I really enjoyed many of his books, especially his two first Discworld novels. So funny, so full of satire and obscure references.

--
Regards

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #21 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:03:23 pm »
i made the mistake of ignoring his books for a long time because of the first two discworld novels - Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic yes?  I am a big Douglas Adams fan and they were poor mans DNA frankly - for me anyways.

But he found his stride in later books which were fantastic - but that's me.

Very sad news - bit surprised to be honest, I though it took a lot longer to die from Alzheimer's - most die of something else in the meantime.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:20:23 pm »
i made the mistake of ignoring his books for a long time because of the first two discworld novels - Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic yes?  I am a big Douglas Adams fan and they were poor mans DNA frankly - for me anyways.

But he found his stride in later books which were fantastic - but that's me.

I think the first story (those two books) was very much a send-up of the taking-itself-too-seriously fantasy genre that was prevalent at the time, and is what came as a breath of fresh air to many readers.  On re-reading, the main thing they have going for them is Rincewind.

IMHO the series really got going with Guards Guards.

As for comparisons to DNA, I always got the impression that Pratchett had a lot more fun writing Douglas Adams stories than Douglas Adams ever did.

« Reply #23 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:46:52 pm »
Actually, the problem with the first two books was that there was far too much in them, too many ideas, too many concepts, too many characters. too much derivation and too much originality, both at the same time.

He had the ability to distil the human state down to a couple of words, leaving you smiling and thinking at the same time. Take a moment to read the Guardina's list of top 15 quotes: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-in-quotes-15-of-the-best

I discovered him shortly before Light Fantastic, the new edition was always a highpoint of the year, the world has lost a star.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »
Quote from: pterry
Goodness is about what you do. Not who you pray to.

I think I may have to steal this.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime