Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1747509 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #15075 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:21:54 am »
Nick, the most important question is... do you have any food intolerances?
Only a lack of it!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15076 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:26:36 am »
Nick, the most important question is... do you have any food intolerances?
Only a lack of it!

That’s good to know.

This coming Wednesday’s episode is by all accounts at Oaky Mansions. Could you make Witham (the posh bit). Aim for an ETA somewhere between 2000 and 2100 hrs.

« Reply #15077 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:31:23 pm »
Thanks, that's do-able. What is the deal, do we go for a ride when I get there or do i just ride there? Do I bring a change of clothes, or do we all just moon around the place in lycra? Probably have lots of other questions later too - I worry about these things. Won't it be a bit weird some bloke you have never met before turning up around one of your houses? You might all hate me.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15078 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:34:12 pm »
Thanks, that's do-able. What is the deal, do we go for a ride when I get there or do i just ride there? Do I bring a change of clothes, or do we all just moon around the place in lycra? Probably have lots of other questions later too - I worry about these things. Won't it be a bit weird some bloke you have never met before turning up around one of your houses? You might all hate me.

Well, you could read through hundreds of pages and thousands of post and work it out for yourself  ;D

Or, give me a while and I’ll find a few minutes to reply unless someone gets there first...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15079 on: 15 August, 2020, 05:33:17 pm »
It's a very loose gathering, traditionally it has a ride to the venue starting at Spa Rd Roundabout in Witham, pre-COVID this usually at 19:30 with a view to arriving at the destination for around 21:00, leaving after last orders (or earlier / later) and then riding back home.  Since we've been allowed to congregate in some fashion it's been a 20:00 arrival at where ever.

There's no rules per-se - it's fine to set off from home direct or what have you to the destination, equally fine to set of from home, ride to Witham and start there.... in fact some of us have been known to employ the team car.  There is a bit of an East/West faction sometimes which sometimes sorts itself out other times split destinations happen but it's all usually organised via here to a large extent.

There's usually a beer kitty, £10 each, held by our rather excellent beer bitch, who also takes the orders and procures the drinks, these can be booze or none booze again no rulez other than not taking the piss obvs, ordering a *very* expensive drink using the kitty would be a tad unfair for example.

Generally the night is convivial and the MEMWNS celebs will be on hand to answer any questions or perform any medical procedures required (OD has healing hands)

Is that most of it Stevie?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15080 on: 15 August, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »
In one!

« Reply #15081 on: 16 August, 2020, 11:48:03 pm »
Hello chaps,

Apologies for the silence - family things, you know?

OK, so thank you for the detailed explanation! So, we are meeting at Oaky Mansions and then having around 90 mins on the bikes before quaffing beer - is that it? If so, I will probably ride there, do the 90 mins, drink, and ride home. That'll teach me. Taking the car is tempting but I like beer too much. I am also on a diet, and I like riding my bike. I am not at work currently on Wednesdays so I could easily make the 2000, if not earlier.

All of my mates would beat me for taking the piss with the kitty, so no worries there - we are all on the same page. Having a beer bitch is some kind of unbridled luxury, so I am looking forward to experiencing that.

OK, so I am also looking forward to meeting all of you - its very exciting for somebody that never goes drinking with people that actually like cycling. Thank you all for the invite, you're all very kind.

Let me know the meet address. Also, do you guys use what3words as it is my new toy and I want everyone to use it just so that I can get to play with it.

Thanks,
Nick.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #15082 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:51:01 am »
Anyone who doesn't already know the location of Oaky Towers, let me now and I'll DM it across to you.

All welcome, WAGs included.  I'll get in a selection of ales and other drink options (soft/non-soft) although I can't rival the Tippers-as-Tom-Cruise "Cocktail" experience.

@Nick - I'll DM you shortly.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rob

« Reply #15083 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:56:35 am »
Up with the family next 2 Wednesdays.

Should be back around early Sep.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15084 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »
Hello chaps,

Apologies for the silence - family things, you know?

OK, so thank you for the detailed explanation! So, we are meeting at Oaky Mansions and then having around 90 mins on the bikes before quaffing beer - is that it? If so, I will probably ride there, do the 90 mins, drink, and ride home. That'll teach me. Taking the car is tempting but I like beer too much. I am also on a diet, and I like riding my bike. I am not at work currently on Wednesdays so I could easily make the 2000, if not earlier.

All of my mates would beat me for taking the piss with the kitty, so no worries there - we are all on the same page. Having a beer bitch is some kind of unbridled luxury, so I am looking forward to experiencing that.

OK, so I am also looking forward to meeting all of you - its very exciting for somebody that never goes drinking with people that actually like cycling. Thank you all for the invite, you're all very kind.

Let me know the meet address. Also, do you guys use what3words as it is my new toy and I want everyone to use it just so that I can get to play with it.

Thanks,
Nick.

Just re-read what you put, slight correction... the idea is once we get to Oaky Towers we'll stay there.  A note regarding Oaky Towers, bearing in mind its in the posh bit of Witham.  Once upon a time you had to dodge the deer, herds of which swept majestically across Oaky's deer park in which Oaky Towers is tastefully set.  You don't have to worry about deer anymore cos the bears ate them  ;D

Yeah, so where was I?  Ah yes, once we get there we'll stay there until its time to go home.  I might go for a ride beforehand, I don't know yet.  In pre-Covid times we would ride about before the pub, get to the nominated venue about 9 to 9:30, stay until closing then ride home.  As jibers says, there are a variety of set off points depending on what suits you.  Witham can how manage a reasonable sized peloton so we all meet up and launch together.  Or you could arrange to meet us or someone else on route, or ride independently.

« Reply #15085 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:56:44 pm »
Thanks again, guys.

OK, so I get it now, all round to Oaky Towers, dodging the grizzlies en route! Right then well I will probably bring a change of clothes, especially handy if it lashes down with rain during the ride there. So here is my route, if this coincides with anyone else then I am quite happy to meet up along the way, even if my route needs tweaking a bit.

Good, so I will bring my tenner along, should I bring anything else, crisps, nuts, that sort of thing? Bit limited with what I can carry, obviously. Otherwise I would naturally be bringing bottles of spirits, etc - just to curry favour with everyone.  ;D

Looking forward to meeting with you guys all the same.

Ta,
Nick.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15086 on: 18 August, 2020, 12:43:22 am »
Thanks again, guys.

OK, so I get it now, all round to Oaky Towers, dodging the grizzlies en route! Right then well I will probably bring a change of clothes, especially handy if it lashes down with rain during the ride there. So here is my route, if this coincides with anyone else then I am quite happy to meet up along the way, even if my route needs tweaking a bit.

Good, so I will bring my tenner along, should I bring anything else, crisps, nuts, that sort of thing? Bit limited with what I can carry, obviously. Otherwise I would naturally be bringing bottles of spirits, etc - just to curry favour with everyone.  ;D

Ta,
Nick.

Crikey! Not sure I'd be brave enough for the A414, if your bike has suitable tyres, you could do the bridleway off Mill Lane that takes you over to Pass Low Hall farm, from there through to Nine Ashes with a choice of either heading towards Norton Heath and picking up NCN1 via there, or into Blackmore then left on to Writtle.

Alternatively, Hook End, Blackmore, Writtle, here's a serving suggestion :)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33811246

I'm not sure what route I am going to take yet, probably a bit more scenic, perhaps involving Terling etc but depends on how my unsupervised cooking goes.... (and depends on the weather)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15087 on: 18 August, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
Tomorrow evening's weather forecast...

The BBC thinks there is a c40% chance of rain.  Do we want to switch to The Spiritual Home (The Compasses, Littley Green) and sit under josser's big tent or perhaps another pub with outside covered seating?   We could keep Oaky Towers in reserve for next week if the weather is behaving.  I've checked with Oaky, he hasn't laid out any cash yet.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15088 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:58:24 am »
That might be a good idea
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #15089 on: 18 August, 2020, 10:56:07 am »
Thanks again, guys.

Ta,
Nick.

Crikey! Not sure I'd be brave enough for the A414, if your bike has suitable tyres, you could do the bridleway off Mill Lane that takes you over to Pass Low Hall farm, from there through to Nine Ashes with a choice of either heading towards Norton Heath and picking up NCN1 via there, or into Blackmore then left on to Writtle.

Alternatively, Hook End, Blackmore, Writtle, here's a serving suggestion :)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33811246

I'm not sure what route I am going to take yet, probably a bit more scenic, perhaps involving Terling etc but depends on how my unsupervised cooking goes.... (and depends on the weather)

Well, only a few miles on the dreaded A414, but your routes are much more applealing so I will defo be trying one of those! Thanks.

I don't often get to explore too much and so this is exactly one of the reasons that I'd like to meet up with some like-minded people!

Let's see how the weather goes and look forward to meeting you guys wherever we decide on!

All the best,
Nick.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15090 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:33:12 am »

Shall we make an exec decision to switch to the Spiritual Home?  Oaky needs to organise supplies so if we delay too long he might not have time to go shopping.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #15091 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:43:14 am »

Shall we make an exec decision to switch to the Spiritual Home?  Oaky needs to organise supplies so if we delay too long he might not have time to go shopping.
Elder approval  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15092 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:47:43 am »

Elder approval  :thumbsup:

Right then, done deal.

Nick, how about I ride out to meet you and we can ride to the Compasses together?

« Reply #15093 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:49:22 am »
Sounds good to me - where do you want to meet? I hope you like riding slowly. :D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #15094 on: 18 August, 2020, 12:16:02 pm »
Cool - Spiritual Home it is for this week wth Oaky Towers in reserve awaiting a better weather forecast.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15095 on: 18 August, 2020, 12:21:45 pm »
Cool - Spiritual Home it is for this week wth Oaky Towers in reserve awaiting a better weather forecast.

There we go, a three Elder ratification.

Sounds good to me - where do you want to meet? I hope you like riding slowly. :D

I too have been itching to try What3Words so how about we meet at takes.breezy.thatched at 8pm?  If the plan works for you I'll fettle a route so the rest of the peloton can ride along if they wish.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15096 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:31:26 pm »
We not doing the 8pm at the pub arrival then?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15097 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »
We not doing the 8pm at the pub arrival then?

Some can.  I can't get out to Nick's neck of the woods early enough to make The Compasses by 8pm and I fancy a longer ride.  I don't mind getting to the pub a little later (ETA 9pm, possibly earlier?) as it stops me drinking too much!  Zat OK?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15098 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:02:06 pm »
Shocking!  :o

Nick - you OK with a route to meet Steve? (straight through Ongar and over to Flyfield then towards Good Easter via Ongar Rod, avoid the Ford! )
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15099 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:13:19 pm »
Shocking!  :o

I refer the Honorable Gentleman to post #1 of this thread, way back in August 2009, where I mooted the following radical concept...

... My thoughts were that the emphasis was on cycling not drinking...!

::-) ;D