Author Topic: Bearing play - SON delux hub dynamo (was Odd hub drilling )  (Read 3876 times)

Re: Bearing play - SON delux hub dynamo (was Odd hub drilling )
« Reply #25 on: 10 May, 2023, 10:18:15 pm »
I've been pretty happy with the dynamo wheel until today.
I sent the hub earlier this year for a factory bearing replacement but after 2500 km, the SON hub has developed a bit of bearing play.
I was hoping quite a few more thousands km to get to this point, after all, none of my "nice" wheels have had play in such a short amount of time...

From SON's  FAQs:
How much play may the bearings have?
New grooved ball bearings have about zero play. During longterm-use the play may increase within a few hundreths of a millimeter. At the rim you may feel a small movement to the right and to the left then. Even when you continue cycling with a lot of bearing play no damage will occur.

Unreasonable expectations on my side?   >:(

« Reply #26 on: 11 May, 2023, 06:50:50 am »
I've been pretty happy with the dynamo wheel until today.
I sent the hub earlier this year for a factory bearing replacement but after 2500 km, the SON hub has developed a bit of bearing play.
I was hoping quite a few more thousands km to get to this point, after all, none of my "nice" wheels have had play in such a short amount of time...

From SON's  FAQs:
How much play may the bearings have?
New grooved ball bearings have about zero play. During longterm-use the play may increase within a few hundreths of a millimeter. At the rim you may feel a small movement to the right and to the left then. Even when you continue cycling with a lot of bearing play no damage will occur.

Unreasonable expectations on my side?   >:(

Do the bearings still feel like they run smooth? Had my bearings replaced by son no quibbles after they developed some play, but also a nasty grinding noise and gritty feel. I sent their customer service a video and they said to send the hub in.

Was a bit disappointed too, hub had had about 6mo of use, but customer service was good. Turned around in 2 weeks by SJSC incl a full wheel rebuild

« Reply #27 on: 11 May, 2023, 07:06:41 am »
The wheel seems to spin smoothly... I do worry that it will rapidly worsen right before an important brevet.
I have several coming up including a 400k this weekend, a 1000k in a couple of weeks, etc.

The hub was not purchased new, but was serviced by SON only 2500 km ago. These have been dry kilometres... and no powerwashing the bike/wheel, not even from a garden hose.

I've found online old manuals that say that up to 0,5mm of play at the rim is OK.

« Reply #28 on: 11 May, 2023, 01:44:59 pm »
Just attempted a wiggle of my trike hub none discernable. At least 25,000 km and plenty of lateral loading banging over potholes and I nearly immersed it once.
I know not much help for the op

« Reply #29 on: 11 May, 2023, 01:51:06 pm »
The wheel seems to spin smoothly... I do worry that it will rapidly worsen right before an important brevet.
I have several coming up including a 400k this weekend, a 1000k in a couple of weeks, etc.

The hub was not purchased new, but was serviced by SON only 2500 km ago. These have been dry kilometres... and no powerwashing the bike/wheel, not even from a garden hose.

I've found online old manuals that say that up to 0,5mm of play at the rim is OK.

I rode it for quite a while with the nasty noise (i.e. a few months and a handful of brevets), assuming it was normal noise from the dynamo ticking over, before noticing the play and grit. Didn't seem like it was going to imminently explode. YMMV though.

I'd say you'd be fine as long as the bearings still run smoothly, but can't hurt to ask Son customer service if its worrying you. They were very helpful.

« Reply #30 on: 11 May, 2023, 01:55:21 pm »

This was the headache I had too - hard to find a two/three week window to be without the dynamo if you've got a busy schedule of long rides, but you also don't want to be stressing about it blowing out when you really need it. I ended up taking the opportunity to invest in my backup lighting setup

« Reply #31 on: 11 May, 2023, 02:59:38 pm »

This was the headache I had too - hard to find a two/three week window to be without the dynamo if you've got a busy schedule of long rides, but you also don't want to be stressing about it blowing out when you really need it. I ended up taking the opportunity to invest in my backup lighting setup

Yes... I do have a fairly good battery light system already. However, my other wheelsets are not field serviceable (proprietary spokes, internal nipples). I can make it work using the rear serviceable wheel and a racing front wheel. I do hope to test the whole system during the incoming 1000k,l ights, bike and body. It will be my first BRM over 600k.

« Reply #32 on: 11 May, 2023, 03:26:56 pm »

Yes... I do have a fairly good battery light system already. However, my other wheelsets are not field serviceable (proprietary spokes, internal nipples). I can make it work using the rear serviceable wheel and a racing front wheel. I do hope to test the whole system during the incoming 1000k,l ights, bike and body. It will be my first BRM over 600k.

A conundrum indeed. I've been toying with the idea of getting a "training" wheelset to avoid racking up unnecessary miles on the dynamo when it's not needed. Would have been very useful to have a trustworthy, if not dynamo-equipped, set while mine was away for service. Not the cheapest solution of course but could be an option to keep you rolling and serviceable?

« Reply #33 on: 11 May, 2023, 07:47:24 pm »
That’s just what I’m doing. Building up a front non dynamo wheel. To be used in periods I don’t need the dynamo.  Then o rings on fork to aid easy removal of dynamo light as required. 

« Reply #34 on: 11 May, 2023, 08:57:23 pm »
Then o rings on fork to aid easy removal of dynamo light as required.

That's a good wheeze.

« Reply #35 on: 11 May, 2023, 09:10:28 pm »

2,500 km - there's definitely something wrong there and it has to go back. These hubs are normally bulletproof, wet or dry, salt or whatever, you shouldn't have to mollycoddle them.

However, they are right when they say just ride it in the meantime. It's very, very unlikely to simply collapse like bottom bracket bearings sometimes do. Just ride until you have time to send it back to them (though contact them now to let them know, of course).

For reference, I sent my hub back for servicing at around 55,000 km when it had slight play. It's had somewhat over 100,000 km since then and has no play whatsoever. All weather year round riding. There was a couple of years when I did use it only in the winter and swap out to save wear in the summer, but given how long the bearings last I just don't bother any more.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.