Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134237 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18825 on: 18 March, 2024, 09:25:30 pm »
I gave my Spa Audax bike a thorough cleaning, including waxing the chain. It has now been put
away and won't be ridden until the first week of October. Until then, riding duties will be shared
between a Dolan Dual and an XACD titanium bike (both have identical components and wheels,
as did the Spa Audax).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18826 on: 19 March, 2024, 04:35:44 pm »
Spent most of the afternoon trying to debug my RD without success, concluding that new cable + housing are needed. And new bar tape, it's pigging.

Ascertained in the process that the barrel adjuster on agëd 105 has an M5 screw, this after fecking-divving it all the way out of the RD and not being able to screw it back in due to crap in the female threading. Got that out by gently running a 5mm tap in and out again.

Haven't got the oomph left to do all that's needed this evening so I was able to cry off that idiotic ride I was due on tomorrow. ODHSNM.  ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18827 on: 19 March, 2024, 06:48:17 pm »
able to cry off that idiotic ride I was due on tomorrow. ODHSNM.  ;D

Oh dear, how sad, never mind?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #18828 on: 19 March, 2024, 08:54:44 pm »
Yesterday I acquired a couple of Deore LX vbrake arms. The parallel push type. Intrigued I fitted them today to my hack bike. Seem to work well although I have since read that they can squeal.
While I was at it I fitted a different saddle to the same bike.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18829 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:25:31 am »
able to cry off that idiotic ride I was due on tomorrow. ODHSNM.  ;D

Oh dear, how sad, never mind?

;D

Meanwhile, inside my RH shifter:

Maybe Di2 isn't such a bad idea...  Although old-fashioned cables coming out the side of the shifter were better.

« Reply #18830 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:58:27 am »
Yesterday replaced all cables and bar tap on my tourer. Winter hadnt been kind. Need to finish setting up today, front mech was being a pig and got the hump so left

Also just sprayed mould remover on while on hold to HMRC. About to go and scrub off

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18831 on: 20 March, 2024, 12:04:15 pm »

Maybe Di2 isn't such a bad idea...  Although old-fashioned cables coming out the side of the shifter were better.

It's complicated shifters[1] that are the problem.  Cables work fine with sensible thumbie/downtube/bar-end shifters, after all.  (This post sponsored by deciding that the Boring Dawes is getting something less fiddly than trigger shifters next time something relevant needs replacing.)

Given the trend towards 1× drivetrains, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in hydraulic shifting, though I suppose while it's admirably reliable, it doesn't have the accuracy advantage of electronics for derailleur gears.  (Works well for hub gears with the indexing at the hub end, Kindernay style.)

[1] I'll include grip shifters that require use of swearing and/or witchcraft to thread the cable through a 90° bend for these purposes, in spite of their mechanical simplicity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18832 on: 20 March, 2024, 01:07:26 pm »

It's complicated shifters[1] that are the problem.  Cables work fine with sensible thumbie/downtube/bar-end shifters, after all.  (This post sponsored by deciding that the Boring Dawes is getting something less fiddly than trigger shifters next time something relevant needs replacing.)

Given the trend towards 1× drivetrains, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in hydraulic shifting, though I suppose while it's admirably reliable, it doesn't have the accuracy advantage of electronics for derailleur gears.  (Works well for hub gears with the indexing at the hub end, Kindernay style.)

[1] I'll include grip shifters that require use of swearing and/or witchcraft to thread the cable through a 90° bend for these purposes, in spite of their mechanical simplicity.

Agree re the cruel & unusual 90° bend.

My main problem, though, is that replacing the outers is such a long-winded process that I put it off as long as possible, i.e. until something stops working.  I've been blaming the chain lube for the last 500k, but it wasn't that.

1x looks interesting but I don't really think I'll be needing it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18833 on: 20 March, 2024, 05:34:13 pm »
Anyway, today's fettle involved replacing a broken spoke in barakta's motor wheel, that I'd discovered while playing musical brakes[1] last week.  Astoundingly, it's a lot easier to obtain spokes in silly short sizes than it was a few years ago, which is just as well, as the one in question was a whole 96mm.

Alas, this involved doing battle with a Marathon Plus on a 20" wheel, which eventually succumbed to a combination of cable ties, VAR tyre lever and harsh language.

Having sorted that out, I fitted the non-motor wheel to the trike and installed it on the turbo trainer.  The physioterrorists having approved light pedalling with no resistance.  This should hopefully prevent excessive bouts of OwMeKnee when she's able to walk again.

[1] One of the BB7s from the dead Streetmachine replacing a knackered Tektro thing that was serving as a parking brake on her trike.  The main idea was the ability to adjust the stationary pad without removing the wheel (the motor blocks direct access), but this also appears to have provided a major boost in braking performance.  Skidz, for the doing of.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #18834 on: 20 March, 2024, 05:45:56 pm »
Well, not fettled today, but last weekend at my community garden's Repair Cafe (Grow West Fife).

An old hifi with a discrete turntable, of which the power output connector from the hifi to the turntable had broken pads on the main circuit board.

So a spot of soldering for me after the other chaps in the repair cafe had diagnosed the fault.

A wee doubrie of wire, a splash of flux paste, and a bit of proper leaded solder (circa Maplin Electronic's 1995 Vintage), and job was done after scraping the solder resist off the a decent bit of the circuit traces.  Ended up having to repair two traces on the circuit board and that was the hifi system working again! 

repaircafe by Brian Innes, on Flickr

I also had a look at a toaster which wasn't staying down.   Diagnosis failed solenoid unit:

solenoid by Brian Innes, on Flickr

I guess watching those "circuit repair videos" on youtube is helping! 

Although I did have gammy hands the day after...  :facepalm:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18835 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:32:52 pm »
Working backwards:
Today I fettled about a zillion thorn tips out of the skin of my hands. Much ouch before and during this process.
Yesterday evening I continued fettling a replacement rose trellis, one painful slat at a time as the rose is mature and well knitted round the remains of the old trellis.
Yesterday daytime I fettled about a zillion thorn tips out of the skin of my hands. Much ouch before and during this process.
Can you guess what I was doing Monday evening?

Thankfully I'm having an evening off that job.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18836 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:33:29 pm »
Ouch.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I have replaced both gear cables + housings on the eBrute and given it new HB tape. Used Bike Ribbon red again because I always have on that bike, but against my better judgement this time around because the New! Brighter! shade shows up the dirt more than the older shade and will look as filthy as usual this time tomorrow.  I could have put on the black bar tape I have for the Trek but the eBrute looks verra driech* without a bit of colour on it.

* to quote my Ayrshire chum Alan, when he was 3.

« Reply #18837 on: 22 March, 2024, 08:07:54 pm »
The rear screen washer tube on my wife’s 208, a well known weak spot (hard corrugated plastic tube that fails due to fatigue ‘twixt shell and hatch). As it had broken flush with one of the fittings there was no bodge available so it had to be replaced. A few broken trim clips but nothing you’d notice. I then pumped up the tyres and topped off the washer bottle. Shame I forgot her bonnet had a prop and not gas struts like mine. Now £30 worse off for a new stay.  ::-) (And I’ve just discovered gas struts would have been cheaper!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #18838 on: 23 March, 2024, 01:17:44 pm »
The moss lawn. Just.

ETA: And after lunch, and another hailstorm, I washed and de-mossed my wife’s car. And then got caught in another hailstorm as I tidied up.

Forgot, I had to fettle the outsidetap pipe work before the car wash (one reason I finished in the hail). Despite being lagged and not under pressure with the tap open, it seems, despite this nit being that cold a winter (-10C maybe) it had frozen and split. Tapped the split back down, wrapped with duct tape, and cable-tied over the top.  Good enough.  Replacement pipe and olives ordered for Easter fettling, and this time I’ll add a downward slope to it.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #18839 on: 23 March, 2024, 01:56:10 pm »
My Julie Andrews* chainset: 46/34/24. I have a hunchback of a plan (it is only partly formed) to cycle up Mt Ventoux this summer and I'm not prepared (nor, frankly, able) to do the training required to do so on the current 50/40/30.

(*Climb Every Mountain)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18840 on: 23 March, 2024, 03:03:14 pm »
Yesterday, replaced the tyre that let me down on an audax recently - let me down is a bit strong as it had doen about 8000km, adn on closer inspection all the pointy diamond bits had become flat square bits and the centre tread was almost worn flat.  There were quite a lot of nicks and slashes in the tread so it was probably only a matter of time.

Anyhow, as usual, the job expanded to fill the available time.  As I noticed the rim tape was looking a bit iffy, I decided to replace that as well, so deep clean and degrease of the rim required and then first time faff with the tubeless rim tape.  Also had to locate a valve from my stocks as I couldn't find the one I'd taken out.  Tyre popped on first time (Terravail Canonball) but I over filled with sealant and had to devise a removal strategy.

Anyway, job done, pressure holding, grip restored. And the front got a squirt of top-up as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18841 on: 23 March, 2024, 06:05:49 pm »
Removed the cleats from the deceased Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycling shoes and installed them on the New! SHINY!! TV's Nice C Boardman ones.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #18842 on: 24 March, 2024, 05:50:36 pm »
My Julie Andrews* chainset: 46/34/24. I have a hunchback of a plan (it is only partly formed) to cycle up Mt Ventoux this summer and I'm not prepared (nor, frankly, able) to do the training required to do so on the current 50/40/30.

(*Climb Every Mountain)

Hmm.

There’s a compatibility problem with the chain (10s) and chainset (7s) which I’ll have to resolve. Seems ok going between middle and outer ring, but has a tendency to get stuck between middle and granny.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18843 on: 24 March, 2024, 06:15:04 pm »
garden progress

need to sort out a slab for the gap due to it not being 600mm wide.
then mortar a few gaps

and then get grass seed in.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18844 on: 24 March, 2024, 06:31:02 pm »
Lots of general garden tidying today, with weeding and prepping for getting stuff out into greenhouse and then garden.

We got rid of a trampoline last year, but under current circumstances don't want to spend anything on sorting the space out, so I've prepped it just to be a veg plot overflow and general flower bed. My Hauzontle has germinated extremely well so could possibly go in there.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #18845 on: 24 March, 2024, 08:59:20 pm »
Vacuumed out the wife’s car, and ran the front mats through a wash. Then gave it a coat of polish.p and pumped up the tyres. It needs 4 new tyres (‘cos perishing) and front discs (‘cos badly lipped). One for the mobile mechanic. Scrubbed the kitchen floor as I could leave the back door open because the weather was so nice.

« Reply #18846 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:43:15 am »
I made an insert for the campervan shower/toilet. Problem is that a shower at night leaves a damp floor. During the day shoes leave mud on the shower floor.

Took a piece of flooring vinyl and cut it to shape. Then took garden fence lattice and cut it to match with some extras for edges. Glued it all together and we now have an insert which is lightweight and easily removable.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18847 on: 25 March, 2024, 12:11:48 pm »
Adjusted the cleats on my newly acquired Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycling shoes, that my mighty plates shall smite no more the chainstays when powering up the Col d'Underpass. Hopefully.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18848 on: 26 March, 2024, 09:40:13 am »
MrsT's new phone so that it doesn't wake me up at what-the-fuck? am.