Author Topic: Purging the triple  (Read 2618 times)

bikenerd

Purging the triple
« on: 23 December, 2008, 10:44:34 am »
I have just removed the final triple chainset from my bikes!  After switching to compact doubles on my road bikes a few years ago, the only bike left with a triple was my mountain bike.  But even that has gone now!

Taking a cue from the new Shimano SLX groupset, I've removed the outer ring and replaced it with a bash guard.  The 32 ring I've swapped to a 36 ring (Deore, nice and cheap and hardwearing steel), I've screwed the stop for the derailleur in to prevent over shifting and shortened the chain.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.  The main advantage is that you can use less chain and also use a shorter cage rear derailleur (GS as opposed to SGS).  This stops the rear derailleur getting as clogged up in mud and stops chainsuck when shifting into the granny ring.  You can run the front derailleur lower, also helping with the chain suck issues.  There are fewer repeated gear ratios and the lack of a big 44T ring stops it getting bent when riding over logs.

The only disadvantage is that the top gear is now about 85 inches as opposed to 104.  But who uses a 104" gear on a MTB, unless they're riding on the road?

Zoidburg

Re: Purging the triple
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:35:29 pm »
If...the rear cassette is still the same MTB ratio then why should a shorter cage rear mech work?

That being the reason for long cage mechs, nowt to do with ring size...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »
but isn't it also the total range? By reducing his chain-ring range, he's reduced the amount of slack the mech needs to take up, so a shorter cage can work.

The bit I'm not sure of:
I think there's a max sprocket size for each mech. So yes, shorter cages may not work with some 'MTB' cassettes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:42:59 pm »
Total range - no - TT bikes with dinner plates would have to have long cage mechs.

Sprocket size range - yes.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »
If...the rear cassette is still the same MTB ratio then why should a shorter cage rear mech work?

That being the reason for long cage mechs, nowt to do with ring size...

Not according to the Shimano specs SGS and GS:

GS SLX derailleur (short cage version):
Maximum Sprocket   34T
Minimum Sprocket   11T
Front Difference   22T maximum
Total Capacity           35T

SGS (long cage version):
Maximum Sprocket   34T
Minimum Sprocket   11T
Front Difference   22T maximum
Total Capacity           45T

Total capacity is defined as (max rear sprocket - min rear sprocket) + (max front chainring - min front chainring).
So, with an SGS setup you can have a 36 and 22 chainring plus a 32-11 cassette to give a total capacity of 14 + 21 = 35.  You can't have a 34-11 cassette unless you drop the 36 chainring to 34.

The cage size is purely to take up more chain which you get in a triple system.  The geometry of the parallelogram in the derailleur determines the cassette ratio compatibility.
I've been running a 1x9 setup with a 34-11 cassette and GS derailleur for over a year now without any problems.

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:49:22 pm »
All capacities should be taken with a pinch of salt. Everyone knows that every manufacturer's figures are often very conservative. As for mtb stuff - pretty pointless. With wildly varying geometry -  chain length and mech capacity become irrelevant. I've never managed to get an XT mech working properly with a 34T cassette no matter what combo I've used.

It's more a case of suck it and see rather than doing any maths.

IMO of course.....  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!