Author Topic: New Salsa MTB/Touring 29er (aka "I want one!")  (Read 6222 times)

New Salsa MTB/Touring 29er (aka "I want one!")
« on: 16 September, 2008, 08:42:01 pm »

This looks like one of my 2 ideal bikes.

scottclark.photoshelter.com

TheBigYin

Re: New Salsa MTB/Touring 29er (aka "I want one!")
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:31:20 pm »
 :sick:

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:32:54 am »
Well, out of 20 views, we have 19 abstentions and 1 barf. I hate how wordy this forum is getting.

Craig

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:23:45 am »
I think it just looks wrong for a variety of reasons. The drop bars, 29" tyres, extremely sloping top tube, and the silly number of bottle cages. Plus it is a bit of a vomit like shade of green...

I'm not convinced about drop bars for off-road touring. I think it might be more useful to have some sort of semi drop bars, ie On-One Midge bars. Or maybe butterfly bars to give lots of hand positions and the option to use hydraulic discs (not possible with standard drops).

And why 29" tyres? What's the point?

Though the disc mount on the chain stay looks like a good idea, as it keeps it out of the way of rack mountings etc.

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2008, 02:18:39 am »
That's weird looking. I quite like the colour and although the top tube slopes far too much than is necessary (I've seen trials/jump bikes with less slope) it doesn't offend me as much as the headtube angle and fork rake. Makes it look like it's just smelled a bad fart. And who really needs 6 water bottle cages?

I guess the main thing is how it rides, and I wouldn't turn down a shot on one.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2008, 02:48:39 am »
I think it just looks wrong for a variety of reasons.

I think that's part of what I like about it.  :)  It's so ugly it's just naturally likeable. Besides, I have a taste for odd-looking misfit bikes.

But it's certainly not beautiful. My other ideal bike would look like an actual bike.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:37:59 am »
It's just a 29er.  They all have top tube as sloping as that - because the headtube needs to be so much higher for the suspension corrected rigid forks but you need to maintain standover height too.  Flat or moustache bars, less spacers and a normal stem, plus a photograph that doesn't accentuate the high front end and that'd look pretty nice, I reckon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:04:26 am »
Um.  It's OK, but I wouldn't use all those bottle mounts - leastways, not for bottles, anyway.  Maybe to attach pump, tools etc.

It looks a bit like some of the early hybrids - Orbit Frontier, and the Muddy Fox one.  Though I personally don't like the radically sloping top tube or the forks...
Getting there...

Si

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:43:03 am »
Think I'd rather have an old style Dawes Sardar if I were going the expo-disc brake route.  This thing seems a little like a clever solution for a problem that the marketting men haven't thought up yet.

It's OK having 6 bottle cages but it looks like at least two of them are a little restricted: the one at the bottom of the seat tube looks like it's fouled by the one next to it and the one at the top of the down tube is going to need a fairly small bottle. 

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:58:04 am »
I like it - it's the first time in a while I've looked at a bike and thought "I want that".

It's a shame about the top tube angle - and the colour.  A version with 26" wheels would be much more tempting.  And it'd look less like a tractor bike.

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »
Um.  It's OK, but I wouldn't use all those bottle mounts - leastways, not for bottles, anyway.  Maybe to attach pump, tools etc.

Dunno

I have 3 sets of bottle cages on the MC, and I've used them all (with 2x75 & 1x50 cl bottles) and run out of water on a hot audax stage.  I imagine that for offroad touring in warm places you'd want that sort of capacity

I dunno.  I was one of the silent 19 ;)

I can't decide if I like it or not.  I think I do - but not the colour - and I imagine it'd be a shedload of fun to actually use.

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:16:03 pm »
So...do they do a 'gents' version?

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:44:56 pm »
 :sick:

If you want a really nice 29er tourer try this http://www.singularcycles.com/bikes.htm  (Peregrine)

Chris N

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:50:42 pm »
If you want a really nice 29er tourer try this http://www.singularcycles.com/bikes.htm  (Peregrine)

mmmmmmm.....  That's lovely.  Swift SS is on my Christmas list.

« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:09:15 pm »

Oh, sure, fine, if you want something that looks like a nice bike....    ::-)

;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:13:17 pm »
Oooh!  They're nice!

*wonders about Swift with hub gear...*
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
I don't see how this can in any way be described as an 'MTB' (except by marketing people). It's got drop bars. Drop bars are less than comfortable on a canal towpath, never mind a gravel road or similar.

I wonder how it would handle under load with a top tube like that. And are discs much of a plus on a touring bike?

The bottle cages are ok, tho  :)

Yes, the Peregrine is a stylish, attractive bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:25:12 pm »
I disagree.  I find flat bars uncomfortable in most situations.  I've done hundreds of miles of rough stuff, and I was happy to have my drop bars that offered comfort (and a variety of hand positions).  Admittedly, they were randonneur bars, but it was the best solution.
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »
The Peregrine has the huge advantage of an EBB, that lets you run it fixed, singlespeed or geared. I have mine setup as singlespeed most of the time (I did a 215K audaxy ride on Sunday singlespeed with 42 section marathon XR tyres), but I can add gears in less than 10 minutes - simply change the spacers and cog for a 7 speed cassette, lengthen the chain with another powerlink and clip on a cable with a bar end lever one end and a rear mech the other.

Want to go off-road? Then unbolt the mudguards, change the tyres to Conti Vapor 28x2.1 and lower the gearing to 39 x 16 and away you go.

Full rack fittings front and rear as well.

And it looks even better in the flesh.

(Can I have my ten pounds now please, Sam? )

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2008, 04:11:20 pm »
Both frame and fork offers gobs of tire clearance. Run pavement friendly 700c x 35mm rubber, or throw on some big 29 x 2.4" meat

Is this how MTB people speak these days? I'm scared.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2008, 04:29:43 pm »
Well, out of 20 views, we have 19 abstentions and 1 barf. I hate how wordy this forum is getting.

:-X
 :hand:
 ;)
 ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2008, 04:30:39 pm »
You're so loquaciously verbose at times.
Getting there...

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
Colour's a bit :sick:  (Fun Guy Green? - more like Huey Green)
Certainly stretching the term 'MTB' a bit.
Is that really a pair of bottle holders on the forks?

In the unlikely event that I got one, first thing I'd do is whip off the bars etc. to replace with flats/risers, whip off another 2 inches of steerer tube, and pawn the spacers on ebay.

On a positive note, the Salsa Seatclamp is fantastic.  And the XT mech is pretty good too.
AndyM

« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »
:-X
 :hand:
 ;)
 ;D

I think you've effectively summarized the whole thread. Well done--have a pint on me.

It's funny how much a negative reaction the bike has gotten here--granted it's weird looking, and normally I like "classic" bikes, but this one is so strange that it just calls to me.

Of course, the Peregrine mentioned above is much more pleasant to look at. Probably not available here, though.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:41:53 am »
I actually like the Salsa Scott... I wonder if they'll do it in a different colour (the Vomit Green) is a bit off-putting).

Any idea on how much?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor