Linked Events

• Mille Cymru 1000: 23 July, 2010 - 26 July, 2010

Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010  (Read 222907 times)

Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010
« Reply #425 on: 16 April, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »
Having read the site with a bit more care, I'm a bit disappointed to see that, while our bad drop towel(s) will be awaiting us in Llanwrtyd, the shower facilities remain at Aberystwyth.

Just get some shower sandal - you'll be fine!

Canterbury Shower Sandals

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #426 on: 16 April, 2010, 05:00:26 pm »
Having read the site with a bit more care, I'm a bit disappointed to see that, while our bad drop towel(s) will be awaiting us in Llanwrtyd, the shower facilities remain at Aberystwyth.

GROUP STRIP WASH ANYONE?

Now, where did I drop that soap?

H

P.S.

Just get some shower sandal - you'll be fine!

Canterbury Shower Sandals

I see no cleats?

JohnHamilton

« Reply #427 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:40:36 pm »
Whoops. There are (limited) shower facilities at Llanwrtyd. Website corrected.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #428 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
So does that mean there is space for few more riders..?

My guess is that it's already filled by names from the waiting list.
That's right. First call is going to my existing waiting list right now.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #429 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »
Nebridge/Beulah (or Beulah/Newbridge) three times! 
You can always go the long way round via Builth

And I've just noticed that that it's not just the gradients we have to be worried about.  The B4300 Fairfach / Carmarthen road features in Dave L's Estuary Welsh 200 (the other way).  It is no worse than gently undulating, it runs along the Towy and there are pleasant views, but everyone I spoke to after last year's EW agreed that for no easily discernible reason it is one of the most spirit-sapping stretches of tarmac in the principality.
You'll just be glad that it's flat by that point.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #430 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »
and the endless rollers of the A487 from Cardigan - Aber have been replaced with a run up the Teifi to Llandysul,

I hope you noticed the new Llandysul by pass.  So new that it's not shown on any online maps or on Street View.  There are now rounabouts etc where the map shows no road junction.
Yes, got that when I rode round at Easter. Cuts about 300yds off the route :)

« Reply #431 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:24:42 am »
Newbridge/Beulah (or Beulah/Newbridge) three times!  Unnecessary - it only took one passage to bust my knee last time.  No-one has more than two knees do they?

use your Kidneys?

I'd be gutted if I had to use my kidneys.

How's that for 3 day's matured rapier wit?

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #432 on: 18 April, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »
Because the first day is now longer, we'll be starting at 06:00 instead of 07:00 to give you more daylight on that first day. The third day is of course shorter to make up for it and I've had to miss out the Gospel Pass :( but you'll get Mynydd Eppynt instead.
so the 1st day is 350km and 5400m. Can't see me getting to bed much before dawn :(

I guess us slower riders will have to cane the first day and use any time in the bank to grovel round the rest. Or something ...

[ new split is 350 / 310 / 231 / 100-odd ]

This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think. 350 very hilly km in the first day = hardly any sleep time at all in the bank and a harder next two days as a result compared to the faster guys (and gals). I am one of those slower riders so I need to think very carefully about how I approach this.  At the moment my thoughts haven't progressed much past 'oh well, JFDI!'  ;D

border-rider

« Reply #433 on: 18 April, 2010, 12:55:47 pm »
This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think. 350 very hilly km in the first day = hardly any sleep time at all in the bank and a harder next two days as a result compared to the faster guys (and gals).

Mmm

I think it might screw over some of those who aren't that slow, in just the same way.  I saw this on the 2006 NF1000 (which was a pussy cat in comparison): if you didn't really make a hard effort to get back to the overnight control at a decent time the first night, the whole thing just slipped away.  By day 3 people ended up 10 or so hours out of sync with where they needed to be to sleep.  Even quite fast people in some cases.

scottlington

« Reply #434 on: 18 April, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think. 350 very hilly km in the first day = hardly any sleep time at all in the bank and a harder next two days as a result compared to the faster guys (and gals).

Mmm

I think it might screw over some of those who aren't that slow, in just the same way.  I saw this on the 2006 NF1000 (which was a pussy cat in comparison): if you didn't really make a hard effort to get back to the overnight control at a decent time the first night, the whole thing just slipped away.  By day 3 people ended up 10 or so hours out of sync with where they needed to be to sleep.  Even quite fast people in some cases.

Indeed. However, faster riders have that tactical option - it would, in effect, be their mistake if they go too slowly on the first day. Slower riders do not have that 'luxury'. Still, same thing happened on LEL last year and I didn't fair too badly at all. I cope very well with sleep deprivation so a lack of sleep doesn't really worry me too much. It's more the lack of ability to climb.... ;D

border-rider

« Reply #435 on: 18 April, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »
The difference with LEL is that there is a control every 80 k or so.  With this 1000 you have to get 300-350 hilly km in, in the day, to get back to the sleep stop.  If that slips on any day, for whatever reason, you're stuffed for the rest of the event.  It's not like LEL or PBP, where you just opt to stop at a different control than you'd planned.

I agree about the faster riders having more flexibility, but I think this scenario is perhaps a real danger even for quite fast riders.  Only the really fast boys & girls can be confident of avoiding it.  There's not many of them...

« Reply #436 on: 18 April, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
I doesn't seem like there's much choice but to get back to the sleep control each day.  If that's at 5am, you get an hour in bed before you have to go out again.  It's going to be a challenge!  After yesterday and contemplating doing it all again a few hours later, then again again, I'm glad I'll be helping out and not riding :^)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #437 on: 18 April, 2010, 03:43:52 pm »
I'm worried.  I'm not a slow rider (and likewise not fast) and this schedule looks punishing.  My plan is to ride it as well as I can - if I slip behind time then I'll just finish as much as I can as a touring ride.

Between now and then, all I can do it is prepare with suitable rides.  As I said yesterday to another rider, if you aren't taking this seriously by now, you are at risk of getting f**ked over.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #438 on: 18 April, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »
The difference with LEL is that there is a control every 80 k or so.  With this 1000 you have to get 300-350 hilly km in, in the day, to get back to the sleep stop.  If that slips on any day, for whatever reason, you're stuffed for the rest of the event.  It's not like LEL or PBP, where you just opt to stop at a different control than you'd planned.

I agree about the faster riders having more flexibility, but I think this scenario is perhaps a real danger even for quite fast riders.  Only the really fast boys & girls can be confident of avoiding it.  There's not many of them...

Umm, this is a really good point. I'd not been thinking about schedules until now,  just been concentrating on getting the miles in. I now might actually have to plan some 'real speed work' over the next 10-12 weeks as well, and see if I can couple that with shifting a few ponds. This event has now become a whole different kettle of fish. Bugger! Some new wheels would help as well (note to wife  ::-))
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #439 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:06:01 pm »
I doesn't seem like there's much choice but to get back to the sleep control each day.  If that's at 5am, you get an hour in bed before you have to go out again.  It's going to be a challenge!  After yesterday and contemplating doing it all again a few hours later, then again again, I'm glad I'll be helping out and not riding :^)
Good to see you have empathy for the problem. When I get in at 5am I expect you to be gagging the departing riders, and generally ensuring a sleep-promoting atmosphere.
(And then gently waking me when the time comes with aroma of cooking bacon.)         ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #440 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:18:44 pm »
Umm, this is a really good point. I'd not been thinking about schedules until now,  just been concentrating on getting the miles in. I now might actually have to plan some 'real speed work' over the next 10-12 weeks as well, and see if I can couple that with shifting a few ponds. This event has now become a whole different kettle of fish. Bugger! Some new wheels would help as well (note to wife  ::-))

given that you finished the Elenith in < 14 hours, I don't think you have too much to be worried about ;)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #441 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »

given that you finished the Elenith in < 14 hours, I don't think you have too much to be worried about ;)

That may well be, but there is NO WAY I could go out and do that again today!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #442 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:35:16 pm »
This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think.

Out on the Elenith yesterday, lovely weather, good company, nice experience, I was having fantasies about wishing I'd applied for the MC1000 earlier in the year when I had the chance. That was my heart speaking. At 12.30am when I finished [for me, that's fast] my head kicked into gear, and I knew full well I'm just not physically not up to the challenge. You can't ride a 200 in Nov, a 200 in March, a couple of weekend leisure rides with no other riding at all and then expect to fly round the Elenith can you? It's quite a major 'hit' to the system really. It certainly feels like it today. And the MC is three [four?] days of that. On the trot. For me, right now, no way.

Getting your head right is one thing - attitude, pushing through pain & adversity, giving things a go etc - but not being physically up to the challenge is not something the head can over rule. Is it? Not for 4 days anyway.

Most definitely to be taken very seriously I'd have thought.
Mind you, that's a good thing isn't it? Setting new challenges for people.
I looks like a really fantastic event.
Garry Broad

« Reply #443 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:38:35 pm »

Getting your head right is one thing - attitude, pushing through pain & adversity, giving things a go etc - but not being physically up to the challenge is not something the head can over rule. Is it? Not for 4 days anyway.

Getting ones head right NOW makes on realise that some effort is required to get the body in shape. My injury is pissing me off.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #444 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:51:59 am »
This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think. 350 very hilly km in the first day = hardly any sleep time

Hang on a sec.  You did the Irish Mail 400 last year and finished before me and ChrisN.

You aren't that slow, even on slopes

Mental discipline will be very important on this ride.  If you can keep your stopping time down, then that's half the battle won.

border-rider

« Reply #445 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:54:38 am »
Mental discipline will be very important on this ride.  If you can keep your stopping time down, then that's half the battle won.

That's it.

You'd need to keep focussed on not haemorrhaging time at controls, and at keeping rolling.  Do that and it should all work out.

scottlington

« Reply #446 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
This ride really is gonna screw over the slower riders I think. 350 very hilly km in the first day = hardly any sleep time

Hang on a sec.  You did the Irish Mail 400 last year and finished before me and ChrisN.

You aren't that slow, even on slopes

True, but that was mainly cos I didn't hang around too long at the last control. You are right about mental discipline though. I have tried stopping less on the few rides I have done this year, but I actually think that doesn't work for me so much. Well, if I think about it, it's probably the lack of 'proper' food I am seeing as part of this economy drive. I still need to work on this.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #447 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:44:19 am »
That may well be, but there is NO WAY I could go out and do that again today!

How about if you'd have done a 17 hour Elenith?
Could you ride it again today?
That's a bit nearer to what the MC requires

But we have another 3 months to prepare.  I don't know about you but I have a heavy month in May.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #448 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:51:47 am »
Some new wheels would help as well (note to wife  ::-))

I've considered if there is absolutely any equipment that would help me on this ride.

I could get a new coat that would weigh 300g less.  But for 100 quid that seems like not a very good investment.  All the other things I have considered have a similar problem, high cost, minimal improvement.  My current bike/luggage/clothing is all good enough already

I'll certainly fit new tyres before the event but that's more of a maintenance thing

scottlington

« Reply #449 on: 19 April, 2010, 11:14:26 am »
Some new wheels would help as well (note to wife  ::-))

I've considered if there is absolutely any equipment that would help me on this ride.

I could get a new coat that would weigh 300g less.  But for 100 quid that seems like not a very good investment.  All the other things I have considered have a similar problem, high cost, minimal improvement.  My current bike/luggage/clothing is all good enough already

I'll certainly fit new tyres before the event but that's more of a maintenance thing

The best thing that could help me is to lose weight. A few hundred grams here or there will make next to no difference. Losing 10kg will.  :thumbsup: