Linked Events

• Mille Cymru 1000: 23 July, 2010 - 26 July, 2010

Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010  (Read 222881 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010
« Reply #775 on: 13 July, 2010, 10:50:54 pm »
I'm looking forward to meeting many of the well-known forum members at Upton Magna.
Could you all wear name tags please(your own name,not 80 odd Hummers' or Flatus')

simonp

« Reply #776 on: 13 July, 2010, 11:07:45 pm »
I'm looking forward to meeting many of the well-known forum members at Upton Magna.
Could you all wear name tags please(your own name,not 80 odd Hummers' or Flatus')

I'll be greased up and ready to go.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #777 on: 13 July, 2010, 11:16:00 pm »
:hand:

John, about those detours to calm them down - manage to slip them in???  ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

simonp

« Reply #778 on: 13 July, 2010, 11:30:16 pm »
:hand:

John, about those detours to calm them down - manage to slip them in???  ;)

'tis but an homage to mine avatar:

http://www.fortunecity.com/village/mardigras/1000/toon/greased.wav

simonp

« Reply #779 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:10:03 am »

Booking online via the normally excellent East Coast website doesn't allow me to book just the reservations for the Cambridge-Brum leg.  Guess what it does?  Gives me an "application fatal error".

Well, finally I managed to make it happen.

By buying tickets for Cambridge - Birmingham and separate tickets from Birmingham to ShrewsBury.

The East Coast website threw a wobbly at not being able to reserve bikes on the LM section of the journey.  As it happens, the AW train leaves Brum much later but gets to Shrewsbury only 4 minutes later; of course the system doesn't offer overtaken trains so you don't get offered that.

I've now got bike reservations for the whole journey in both directions.  :thumbsup:

(But how painful was that?!)

« Reply #780 on: 14 July, 2010, 05:36:16 am »
Hey everyone, no need to panic! Everything is going to be ok!

I had a dream last night that I rode the whole thing in one go and it was really easy

:thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #781 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:35:54 am »

+1

Looking forward to counting you all out and counting you all in at Llanwrtyd.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #782 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:55:17 am »

I'M HUMMERS.

« Reply #783 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:00:10 am »
Jogler, I have a couple of photos that will be all you'll need to identify him.  ;)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #784 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:13:02 am »
Hi John. I've used your gpx files as a basis to plot my own from. I'm assuming they are accurate?

Yes. The GPX files are derived from the online maps on the web site created by RouteYou, then split up into 1 track per stage and filtered down to <500 points / track. The road bits use follow road, and the non-road bits plotted out using Google satellite imagery and Streetview.

If you click on the RouteYou link next to the maps on the website it'll take you to RouteYou where you can download the original unfiltered tracks, transfer direct to Garmin, or download in Google Earth format (set to fly through if you want to be really scared!)
Maybe too much info for me (a novice Garmin Edge 705 user)? Presumably if I try to download the unfiltered routes via RouteYou it wont work due to too many points- I tried that. How do download the zipped and filtered ones to get the magic purple line on my unit? Any tips appreciated for the best procedure to follow from garmin 705 users would be gratefully appreciated!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #786 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:42:50 am »
the AW train leaves Brum much later but gets to Shrewsbury only 4 minutes later; of course the system doesn't offer overtaken trains so you don't get offered that.

Click the "Show slower routes" link at the bottom of the "Show me" section and then the appropriate checkboxes (or just default to 'Via any permitted route'.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #787 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:10:04 am »
the AW train leaves Brum much later but gets to Shrewsbury only 4 minutes later; of course the system doesn't offer overtaken trains so you don't get offered that.

Click the "Show slower routes" link at the bottom of the "Show me" section and then the appropriate checkboxes (or just default to 'Via any permitted route'.

Makes no difference.  It doesn't offer the train arriving at 14:19 just that arriving at 14:15.

« Reply #788 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:17:31 am »

Makes no difference.  It doesn't offer the train arriving at 14:19 just that arriving at 14:15.

Ah, yes, when booking all the way from Cambridge it won't. It doesn't bother with all of the different permutations if you have to change trains (and train operators).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #789 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:26:46 am »
Simon, if it helps, I had exactly the same problem booking from Oxfordshire - I resorted to the old human-being interface at the station. (Having checked there were bike spaces on the standalone leg).

Annoying, isn't it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #790 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:37:16 am »
Simon, if it helps, I had exactly the same problem booking from Oxfordshire - I resorted to the old human-being interface at the station. (Having checked there were bike spaces on the standalone leg).

Annoying, isn't it?

80:20 rule in action. You can handle 80% of the users of the GNER booking website with 20% of the work implementing the site.

Handling all of the niche requests, i.e. "people who want to book a journey spanning multiple train operators and get a bike reservation for the whole journey, but one of the operators/trains doesn't have bike reservations and so alternatives should be checked and offered etc" takes up the other 80% of the time, for much less return.

Complaining/giving feedback may prod them along to investigate it and improve it. If you/we don't then they're unlikely to ever find out that it's a problem/annoying themselves.

My usual method is:

1) Do a search and see if it's possible to book the whole way in one go with bike reservations, if they are, and the price is reasonable, buy them and be done with it.
2) If not then look at what changes are required (and where, and between which operators) and where the problem lies, then look for alternatives cutting the journey up into appropriate segments based on the changes. This can also work for expensive tickets as you can often find which leg is contributing most to the cost and look at the alternatives.
3) Book/reserve as required, but don't checkout until you've got all journeys covered; that way you don't end up buying tickets for several legs of the journey only to find that the final leg is impossible to book with a bike.

simonp

« Reply #791 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:02:24 pm »
There's even less incentive for GNER (as was) to fix the site when it's for a journey that involves no GNER trains at all. :)

I think the system ought to be able to find journeys that meet your criteria rather than forcing you to repeatedly go through the process until you randomly hit on one that works.  The fact that the 14:15 option is the only offered journey and bombs out the website does not do wonders for one's blood pressure.

« Reply #792 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:04:59 pm »
Can I respectfully remind you both that if you wish to have any semblance of credibility within Audax, you will ride to the start

Euan Uzami

« Reply #793 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »
Handling all of the niche requests, i.e. "people who want to book a journey spanning multiple train operators and get a bike reservation for the whole journey, but one of the operators/trains doesn't have bike reservations and so alternatives should be checked and offered etc" takes up the other 80% of the time...
when you put it like that, it does sound a pita ;)
if I got asked to do it i'd probably decide it was tremendously fiddly and try and brush it under the carpet  ;)

« Reply #794 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:24:52 pm »
There's even less incentive for GNER (as was) to fix the site when it's for a journey that involves no GNER trains at all. :)

The booking/reservation system is centralised. I think the company specific booking sites (i.e. EastCoast's) just use an API into the central system, I'm not sure there's anything GNER/NEEC/EastCoast could do to fix it if they wanted to. It's probably outsourced too, which would explain why it looks like several other train operators booking/reservation websites.

when you put it like that, it does sound a pita ;)
if I got asked to do it i'd probably decide it was tremendously fiddly and try and brush it under the carpet  ;)

"It'll be in the next version."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #795 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
I think the system ought to be able to find journeys that meet your criteria rather than forcing you to repeatedly go through the process until you randomly hit on one that works.  The fact that the 14:15 option is the only offered journey and bombs out the website does not do wonders for one's blood pressure.

It would be a big, yet simple enhancement to put the "Bike Space?" option on the main search. They'd have to serve a lot less pages if they did this.

As it is, they regard booking a bike like an optional perk you should be grateful for, like getting a table seat.
(Or seats in the quiet carriage if you have a young family - why do they do that?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Euan Uzami

« Reply #796 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »
I think the system ought to be able to find journeys that meet your criteria rather than forcing you to repeatedly go through the process until you randomly hit on one that works.  The fact that the 14:15 option is the only offered journey and bombs out the website does not do wonders for one's blood pressure.

It would be a big, yet simple enhancement to put the "Bike Space?" option on the main search. They'd have to serve a lot less pages if they did this.

As it is, they regard booking a bike like an optional perk you should be grateful for, like getting a table seat.
(Or seats in the quiet carriage if you have a young family - why do they do that?!?)

(The only trouble with putting an option on somewhere is people then expect it to work...);)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #797 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »
I've booked a place with the wife taxi on Thursday night and for Monday.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

JohnHamilton

« Reply #798 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »
The booking/reservation system is centralised. I think the company specific booking sites (i.e. EastCoast's) just use an API into the central system, I'm not sure there's anything GNER/NEEC/EastCoast could do to fix it if they wanted to. It's probably outsourced too, which would explain why it looks like several other train operators booking/reservation websites.

[anorak]
It's not even that simple. There is indeed a single central booking system (and a separate one for bike reservations which have never been integrated into the rest of the system), but this itself does not sell tickets. There are four companies selling tickets online - trainline, myticket, eastcoast and raileasy. Every other ticket seller (ie the rest of the TOCs) use one of these to actually buy the tickets (so there can be three layers involved).

Because all use the central timetable and reservation service however you'll always get the same journey times off all of them. The fares however may be different as the individual TOCs are allowed to sell their own advance fares only through their own website, whereas you may only get the standard anytime/off-peak fares through someone else's.

The journey planners all assume you want to take the first available connection when changing trains (understandable when that connection is Birmingham New St), so in this case it will only offer you the LM train rather than waiting for the Arriva one. Unless it's an advance ticket you can of course travel on any train you like.

Bike reservations are unfortunately well into the 20% (hence why no-one else apart from East Coast even offers them). If you're in the 20% who want anything other than a simple journey then really you're best off taking to a real person rather than a computer.
[/anorak]

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #799 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:42:52 am »
St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain

St Swithun's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain no more

It's raining  ;D  :thumbsup: