Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453990 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2700 on: 03 March, 2010, 06:57:21 pm »
It's bike photography in the style of Robert Mapplethorpe.

..without the buttocks.

« Reply #2701 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »
Seat post looks too long to me.  How much is left in the frame?

Loads it is a 410mm seatpost, been out today and had to lower it a bit.

Thanks all for the comments.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2702 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:05:50 pm »
It's bike photography in the style of Robert Mapplethorpe.

..without the buttocks.
Or the testicles strapped to a board.  It's not a Brooks.
Getting there...

« Reply #2703 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:08:10 pm »

Phew.  On one of my previous MTBs I had a long seat post.  I still remember when it broke and nearly gave me a new arsehole.  It was not a pleasant experience.

Does it flex much?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2704 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »
It would have made a good Mapplethorpe photo though.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2705 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »

Seeing you bike reminds me how badly I need to get the Honky Tonk setup...

« Reply #2706 on: 03 March, 2010, 11:53:52 pm »

Phew.  On one of my previous MTBs I had a long seat post.  I still remember when it broke and nearly gave me a new arsehole.  It was not a pleasant experience.

Does it flex much?

Yes the post was not brill so have switched to a proper MTB inline post today.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2707 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:10:51 am »

Not sure he intended it to be used as a bike stand. This is the statue that has been nicknamed 'Oor Willie' by the ladies of the Maggies Centre.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2708 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
Not sure he intended it to be used as a bike stand. This is the statue that has been nicknamed 'Oor Willie' by the ladies of the Maggies Centre.
Aye, I can see why: that's some willie he's got there.  :o
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Fluffy

« Reply #2709 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:52:24 pm »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2710 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »
Cotic Roadrat with drops, Alfine 8sp, V brakes, Marathon Plus, mudguards, generator hub

Is it cruel to ask if they also make them in your size?  :P

it's strange, I'm 6'2" and that size is a "medium short"

With a 120mm stem the bike feels too long.  With 100mm it feels about right.  The virtual top tube distance ( "as if" it had a horizontal top tube ) is 56cm,  nearly the same as my custom PBP bike.
The next size up has a 58cm top tube.  Maybe I should have got that and used a 80mm stem.

The distance down to the drops is more than my PBP bike and it feels quite low.  Still comfortable, but low feeling.  This is no big deal as I don't ride a long distance on the drops on this bike.

It feels really good when I'm riding on the hoods, which is ideal for a commuting bike.

To summarise, I would have preferred an extra 2cm of seat tube and 1cm less of top tube but this size does work for me, despite looking a bit odd

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #2711 on: 04 March, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »

having just put up an image of the new fixie - I thought that I would give Zed an airing too. Zerofour from Matt Gibbons - who i think has stopped making the range now.
Anyway - a cracking comfortable bike for me.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #2712 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:43:40 pm »
Having altered to fit (shorter, more upright, stem and short(er) reach/shallow(er) drops) took the Virago for its first (12 mile) test today. Longest ride with drops for about 12 months. And....it really is a very nice bicycle! Obviously one can get a better and lighter full carbon race rep, BUT I doubt any would be better vfm - especially not at the near half list price that I paid for it.

Think I'll be keeping it!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #2713 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rdaviesb

« Reply #2714 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »
DON'T suggest buying one of each. N+1 can't apply to trailers aswell.

Oh yes it can. We have an Extrawheel for use with the tandem.

« Reply #2715 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:58:27 pm »
DON'T suggest buying one of each. N+1 can't apply to trailers aswell.

Oh yes it can. We have an Extrawheel for use with the tandem.
We have 3 trailers between the 2 of us. 2 single wheel and one 2 wheeled.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2716 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »
I've got a single wheeled trailer (Bob Yak), but I've been very tempted to buy something like a Carry Freedom Large Y Frame two wheeled trailer, for heavy loads.  I haven't quite been able to justify it yet!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2717 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:27:17 pm »
it's strange, I'm 6'2" and that size is a "medium short"

With a 120mm stem the bike feels too long.  With 100mm it feels about right.  The virtual top tube distance ( "as if" it had a horizontal top tube ) is 56cm,  nearly the same as my custom PBP bike.
The next size up has a 58cm top tube.  Maybe I should have got that and used a 80mm stem.

The distance down to the drops is more than my PBP bike and it feels quite low.  Still comfortable, but low feeling.  This is no big deal as I don't ride a long distance on the drops on this bike.

It feels really good when I'm riding on the hoods, which is ideal for a commuting bike.

To summarise, I would have preferred an extra 2cm of seat tube and 1cm less of top tube but this size does work for me, despite looking a bit odd

Ah OK, the stem looks longer than that - I think the angle of the piccy is a bit deceptive.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2718 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:05:13 pm »
In amongst all the whizzy bling, may I offer this?

I've put it together for my daughter (aged 26), who needs a new station commuter because she's just moved house to the top of a hill.

From the LBS: 15" frameset, headset, adjustable stem, bars, grips, combined levers, rear Deore hub, propstand.

From the pile of bits in the garage: Marathon+ tyres, Open Sport rims, SON dynohub, Nitto racks F&R, Dura Ace rear mech, Ultegra cranks, BB and 9-speed cassette. V brakes, chain, pedals, saddle, seatpost, Solidlight front, Cateye rear, mudguards, basket!

I removed the big ring from the Ultegra triple so that I could fit the chainguard. I bought new levers because my spares were just so tatty that they spoiled the "new" look of the bike. The saddle on her old bike is a white ex-Dahon thing with flowers. I have to go and swap them over tomorrow.... I think she'd really like handlebar streamers too  ::-)

That was a lovely, satisfying project!

« Reply #2719 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:07:18 pm »
Third ride on the new CAAD9 this morning and it is a greeeat bike...  ;D ;D ;D Now I must clear these flying bugs and the spray off my face and teeth!! And get a picture.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #2720 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »
Very nicely done, Gordy  :) Well thought out. Nitto rack works well on the canti mounts, very neat. Expensive lighting setup for a station bike - security QR skewers might be worth considering?

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #2721 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »
Third ride on the new CAAD9 this morning and it is a greeeat bike...  ;D ;D ;D Now I must clear these flying bugs and the spray off my face and teeth!! And get a picture.

did u get bbq ? mine looks awesome with the 105 wheels

« Reply #2722 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

Riding the TCR yesterday reminded me how different a proper stiff race bike can be.  Especially noticeable after 6 months on a more relaxing ride.

« Reply #2723 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »

did u get bbq ? mine looks awesome with the 105 wheels

No, I breached all my principles: I went for the shiny, exhuberant, Ferrari-red model. I wanted to show off this gorgeaous frame! Even the spokes' nipples and inonised red... Not only does it ride well, but the attention to detail in the equipment and design makes it a special machine. Bring on the nice days I say!

« Reply #2724 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »

Riding the TCR yesterday reminded me how different a proper stiff race bike can be.  Especially noticeable after 6 months on a more relaxing ride.

Yep, 6 months of riding the Pompino probably make the Cannondale extra special too!!