Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453786 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3225 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »
PBP '11.  You know you want to.
I wouldn't want to embarrass the other riders with my superior speed after I wrap the basket with clingfilm for aerodynamic improvement.  ::-)

« Reply #3226 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »
It's not mine but I want one!!  :P A lovely Pederson.

I know a bloke in Marlborough that has one of them.  Works in Reading in a print shop I think.

« Reply #3227 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »

That is a very nice looking bike.  I have one that is very similar.  You may have seen it  ;D ;D ;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #3228 on: 28 May, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »

Holdsworth Special from sometime in the 80s. 531 frame and fork. Silstar crankset and Suntour front mech. 8-speed Dura-Ace brifters and rear mech. The wheels are Alex DA16s and came courtesy of this forum's 'bobb' (and they are running very nicely, ta bobb).

This has been a project bike for a little while. I bought it off eBay to keep me going (after my old bike got stolen) until the Ride2Work scheme rolled round again. There's nothing particularly 'special' about this bike (by Holdsworth standards) and it does weigh a fair bit, even for steel, but the frame size is good for me and it's a nice comfy ride.

When I bought it, the components were largely original (Universal callipers, suicide levers, 5-speed drivetrain, 27inch wheels with no mudguard clearance, etc) and the guy selling it was obviously something of a purist. That's all very well, but it's a much nicer bike to ride with lighter wheels, 8-speed cassette and STI levers and to be able to put mudguards on when it's raining, so I have no qualms with the upgrades. Other than the crankset, which I'd like to replace with something more modern, I'm very happy with it. Dura-Ace – albeit mid-90s, 8-speed Dura-Ace – may be a bit over-the-top for a commuter, but it shifts like a dream - minimal effort, no fuss, clean every time.
Solid bike, saw it's twin the other day that had been refurbed.

I suspect the frames are rebadged Raleigh/TI frames with plain lugs, nothing wrong with that though.

« Reply #3229 on: 29 May, 2010, 07:34:47 pm »
Seatpost needs trimmed  ;)

Seatpost only needed trimmed by 2cm... 

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3230 on: 29 May, 2010, 08:49:24 pm »

Holdsworth Special from sometime in the 80s. 531 frame and fork. Silstar crankset and Suntour front mech. 8-speed Dura-Ace brifters and rear mech. The wheels are Alex DA16s and came courtesy of this forum's 'bobb' (and they are running very nicely, ta bobb).

This has been a project bike for a little while. I bought it off eBay to keep me going (after my old bike got stolen) until the Ride2Work scheme rolled round again. There's nothing particularly 'special' about this bike (by Holdsworth standards) and it does weigh a fair bit, even for steel, but the frame size is good for me and it's a nice comfy ride.

When I bought it, the components were largely original (Universal callipers, suicide levers, 5-speed drivetrain, 27inch wheels with no mudguard clearance, etc) and the guy selling it was obviously something of a purist. That's all very well, but it's a much nicer bike to ride with lighter wheels, 8-speed cassette and STI levers and to be able to put mudguards on when it's raining, so I have no qualms with the upgrades. Other than the crankset, which I'd like to replace with something more modern, I'm very happy with it. Dura-Ace – albeit mid-90s, 8-speed Dura-Ace – may be a bit over-the-top for a commuter, but it shifts like a dream - minimal effort, no fuss, clean every time.

Nothing wrong with mixing old and new, mine too rides like a dream.

« Reply #3231 on: 29 May, 2010, 09:20:19 pm »
Out of all the older bikes I've seen on here, that one is the best to my eye.
It looks in proportion.
Nice one. 
Perhaps I am biased as I used to have a Peugeot many moons ago.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3232 on: 29 May, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »
It looks in proportion.

Huh? Low saddle and upturned bars give it away as "too big".

Love the colour scheme though, it's crying out to be ridden in a Tom Simpson style chequerboard Peugeot jersey. My first decent road bike was a Peugeot as well.

« Reply #3233 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:34:13 am »
Perhaps it is the photo of the other one, the angle but to my eye, the triangles appear all wrong.
The Peugeot is more symetrical then, as I can see what you mean but then I never had a huge seat post when I was riding a traditional flat top tube.  The introduction of the compact saw that trend introduced.

« Reply #3234 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
Perhaps it is the photo of the other one, the angle but to my eye, the triangles appear all wrong.
The Peugeot is more symetrical then, as I can see what you mean but then I never had a huge seat post when I was riding a traditional flat top tube.  The introduction of the compact saw that trend introduced.
No it didn't. Take a look at this picture, long before slopey top tubes. Tour de France, Incomparable Eddy Merckx Print at Art.com

« Reply #3235 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:43:27 am »
That pic shows a bike set up for a low riding postion, aero without the bars.  He can't use the hoods ( or they didn't back then due to the cables ).  So is not that a small frame to enable him to have it set up this way?

Look at the distance in the Holdsworth photo between the seat and the bar height.

« Reply #3236 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:52:09 am »
That pic shows a bike set up for a low riding postion, aero without the bars.  He can't use the hoods ( or they didn't back then due to the cables ).  So is not that a small frame to enable him to have it set up this way?

Look at the distance in the Holdsworth photo between the seat and the bar height.
Not sure what point you are making here sir ? It's true, Merckx's bike is a racing bike and thus set up for a low profile position, most photos of Merckx show him on the drops or the tops. It's not particularly a small frame though I'd estimate 23" or maybe a tad more based on my frames and the size of the head tube. Merckx is about the same height as I am as this picture shows

Short seat pins and larger frames were faddish in the 1980s in the UK, certainly for less experienced riders, me included.

Between the the Holdsworth and Peugeot above, I would have my bike set up more like the Holdsworth if the frame size allowed it.

Here's one of mine

better, more upto date picture

and here's another

and another (the yellow one)

« Reply #3237 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:05:06 am »

Not sure what point you are making here sir ?
[/quote]

That is okay, neither am I  ::-)

Out of curiosity, of your frames shown, are they all the same size?

« Reply #3238 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:09:53 am »
Out of curiosity, of your frames shown, are they all the same size?
No, the blue Raleigh tourer which I no longer have is 24.5 " IIRC. The Peugeot and Merckx are roughly the same, roughly 23" c-c, the Merckx is metric (58cm)

« Reply #3239 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:10:56 am »
Sorry to interrupt the pointless argument ;) ;D

And carrying on the theme of trad bikes and Holdsworths :thumbsup:

heres mine, black b17 and bar end shifters fitted, so just about done.  Although I may go back to the Brooks proffesional and brown bar tape at some point, bars still need final adjustment too

« Reply #3240 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
Here's another large tourer that I no longer own (so maybe members bikes is the wrong place, do we need members ex-bikes ?)

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3241 on: 30 May, 2010, 11:52:59 am »
It looks in proportion.

Huh? Low saddle and upturned bars give it away as "too big".

Love the colour scheme though, it's crying out to be ridden in a Tom Simpson style chequerboard Peugeot jersey. My first decent road bike was a Peugeot as well.

Frame is a little too big but I get on with it, causes me no problems when I ride it. I have short legs but a long body(freak) so it all evens out.
I changed the original Atax stem for a Cinelli which is a little longer, if I find a shorter one I will change it. Since taking photo the I have set the bar tops more horizontal and the saddle is a little higher.

As for the top

Got one last week for my birthday.

« Reply #3242 on: 30 May, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »

Merckx is about the same height as I am as this picture shows

might be the same height, but he's a bit wider!!! ;D

PS I know he's lost alot of that now, met him at the bike show last year, still the best ever :thumbsup:

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #3243 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:24:13 pm »

The latest arrival, soon to have its nose pushed out of joint when it has to move over for another.

« Reply #3244 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:31:32 pm »
The latest arrival, soon to have its nose pushed out of joint when it has to move over for another.
Welcome back.
Another Cafac for me to ride?

« Reply #3245 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:32:07 pm »
Very flash. What's the new one which'll put its nose out of joint?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

pixieannie

« Reply #3246 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »
Very flash. What's the new one which'll put its nose out of joint?

Tis good to be back.  Delthebike, I don't think that it is your size!   

The new one is a Pashley.  I need something I can ride whilst wearing floaty skirts and sandals.

« Reply #3247 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »
The new one is a Pashley.  I need something I can ride whilst wearing floaty skirts and sandals.
Beat you to it! Members' bikes

pixieannie

« Reply #3248 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
Beat you to it! Members' bikes

It is so beautiful.  Mine will be black and much adored. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3249 on: 30 May, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »

Well helloooooo.Tis good to see you back :thumbsup: